Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Next mod on it's way...

"M" Specific discussion
sixspeed

Post by sixspeed » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:51 pm

LOL - zee, you can't stop the mods!

Well this afternoon I was determined to get somewhere with this roof (and I hate having half-finished jobs!), so I paid a visit to a windscreen fitters to see if they had any cheese/razor wire for removing windscreen glass. My mate and I had a chat about it last night and decided this was the easiest way to cut through the silicon bead around the roof edge...

A few quid in the RAC Autoscreen man's pocket for a few beers and we had a roll of wire...

Back home, and out came the headlining and trim for a second time, and we began cutting the rest out.

It's quite a scary job, especially when you're trying very hard not to damage anything!

But after 30 minutes or so.. we had ourselves a Roadster! ... ok well, a Targa! :D

It was surprisingly easy really, especially after the headache we had trying to remove it at the weekend. I've always said it makes a huge difference to have the right tools for the job, and this was certainly proved right today!

We've called it a day for now as we'll want to spend a couple of hours getting the sealant and everything spot on (don't want any leaks!). But we couldn't resist a quick trial fit... however, I'm not going to show the full car until it's finished, and all cleaned up :P

No really...

Well...

Maybe a teaser....

Final install tomorrow!

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:58 pm

Nice one!

Manes me wonder if GVfB could mod it so that it's removable for sunny days, while still looking neat up top?? How cool would that be?! :D

Cheers for the pics though, I love your car!!!
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

gidge2010

Post by gidge2010 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:58 pm

:thumbsup: IMPRESSIVE STUFF!!!!

Can't wait to see it all finished tomorrow :D

sixspeed

Post by sixspeed » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:00 pm

sp3ctre wrote:Nice one!

Manes me wonder if GVfB could mod it so that it's removable for sunny days, while still looking neat up top?? How cool would that be?! :D

Cheers for the pics though, I love your car!!!
We were saying that as we bolted the CF one into place...

A custom (and re-trimmed) headlining with access to a couple of latches... a male & female water seal, one on the chassis frame, and one around the roof, and a bit of tidying up generally, and you could quite easily make a targa panel....

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:03 pm

mmm, maybe I'm odd but when I look at your roof I just want to stroke it (the roof I mean, before anyone says anything! ;) ).

Think I have a roof fetish!

:lol:
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:11 pm

Looks sweeeeeeeet, I suspect you won't be the last CF roof on here.

Top pup

Post by Top pup » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:28 pm

That's going to look spot on :thumbsup:
The windscreens bolted to the spar and not the roof then, that makes things a lot easier.

GP20

Post by GP20 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:39 pm

Looks awesome and I agree you should make it into a Targa :thumbsup: That'd be so much cooler than simply having a CF fixed roof.

JayD

Post by JayD » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:41 pm

Looking sexy mate!! Works well with the sun protection glass as well.

Oh and zee, your post cracked me up! :thumbsup:

tehdarkstar

Post by tehdarkstar » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:46 pm

WOW, it's going to look gorgeous. It will give your white coupe the best finishing touch! Spot on.
Z4M Coupe! :sweetheart:

churchwa

Post by churchwa » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:48 pm

I wonder how much a tinted toughened/laminated roof would cost. Would need to be UV repelling as well.

carl

Post by carl » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:31 pm

Nice to see everyone having similar thoughts to me :D

First I thought T-bar, then I thought glass roof. If you had a glass roof with dark bits over the ugly parts around the edges, you could run it right up to the rear winsdscreen panel and it would look like a 911 targa. Bit of a pain to make it retract though, but lift out would be fine. Nowhere to stow it though :(

sixspeed

Post by sixspeed » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:46 pm

Top pup wrote:That's going to look spot on :thumbsup:
The windscreens bolted to the spar and not the roof then, that makes things a lot easier.
Yup. The windscreen is just sealed/bonded onto the bodywork as per the Roadster (i expect).

Another pic of the front edge with roof removed..

And yes, a Targa top would be very nice. I'm sure you could do it as well, since I would say the bonding agent was holding the roof on tighter than the bolts were (having tried to get it off!). A glass panel could be bonded on just as easily, and would definately be a very, very cool mod :D

(Link to Hi-Res version)

Kdawg

Post by Kdawg » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:00 am

Nice work. :thumbsup:

Were you able to weigh the old top to find out the difference between the stock and carbon?
Past: 1999 z3 2.8 - Arctic Silver Metallic
Present: 2005 z4 3.0i - Titanium Silver

sixspeed

Post by sixspeed » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:33 am

Not yet, but the carbon one is 6lbs.

Just need to put the old one on the scales but I don't have any here...