Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Exhaust being fitted this week...

"M" Specific discussion
JayD

Post by JayD » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:30 pm

OMFG! Andy, that sounds superb mate, you must be well chuffed.

Coming towards you with that GruppeM sounds so CSL like then when it flies past you get a lovely change in noise and the exhaust just takes over, love it!!! Great sound. :thumbsup:

sixspeed

Post by sixspeed » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:05 pm

I'm over the moon! It went down well at the Evotechnik meet I went to today as well :D

Got some photos in the light - as you can see, it looks pretty standard. The pipes extend slightly further from the bumper though, and they're also a few mm larger by the looks of it (not measured though).

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:18 pm

Very nice, clean look! The can's are pretty tiny too (compared with stock). :thumbsup:

Have you done any performance testing yet? I'm curious to see if there are any significant gains.
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

sixspeed

Post by sixspeed » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:28 pm

Unfortunately not. I didn't do any 0-60 or dyno runs before the exhaust was fitted, so have nothing to compare it back to the standard system either.

I will probably get it on the next dyno day that's organised by one of the clubs/forums I'm on, just to see what it is running - but without taking the standard sytem with me and swapping it over on the day, I won't really get a good idea of whether there's much of an increase from the exhaust alone.

I'd hope that it's unlocked a few more BHP though - maybe +10 or +15, with the combination of the Gruppe filter as well?

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Eh... doesn't matter. The kik-azz sound makes up for everything else that "might" be lacking. Sometimes it's all about the presentation. :thumbsup:

zformula

Post by zformula » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:22 pm

Sixspeed, how much did the exhaust set you back?

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:44 pm

Very nice, looks standard - until you press the loud pedal :evil:

sixspeed

Post by sixspeed » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:39 am

I've added a video clip we took from inside the car - windows down. Speeds were around 50-70mph, but with hard acceleration....

Don't try to see anything, because you can't .. lol. But it does give you an idea of the sound from inside....

(Click)

Price was £800 +VAT, which is about comparible with the Supersprint systems....

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:15 am

Ahhhh!!! My ears!!!

Bloody marvelous! :thumbsup:

JayD

Post by JayD » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:38 am

sixspeed wrote:I've added a video clip we took from inside the car - windows down. Speeds were around 50-70mph, but with hard acceleration....

Don't try to see anything, because you can't .. lol. But it does give you an idea of the sound from inside....

(Click)

Price was £800 +VAT, which is about comparible with the Supersprint systems....
That seems quite reasonable to me. Very tempting indeed.

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:35 pm

zformula Welcome to the forum... :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

zformula

Post by zformula » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:42 pm

Thanks, let's hope you guys stick around a bit longer than Z4um & Zed-cars.eu :)

sixspeed

Post by sixspeed » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:36 am

Just thought I'd update this (Peppernick's post reminded me).

I did some dBa tests with a sound meter the other day (DavidM was enquiring about the levels in an email to me). Thought I'd post the results here. These are the same test techniques as most trackday organisers will use (although they only measure the sound at 2/3 revs, or 4000rpm in our cars)...

All levels measured on a cold system (the system does get marginally louder when it's hot and has been on track or a long motorway run etc), 0.5m and 45 degrees from the exhaust tips, A-weighted...

Idle - 86dBa

Static @ 4000rpm - 95dBa

So the system would pass for trackday use, which may surprise some of you who've only watched the video. The exhaust is very quiet on light/mid throttle, when cruising and holding speed for example... As such, as long as you build revs fairly smoothly, then you would always pass a static test with this system.

However, as you can hear on the videos, at full throttle, the system really opens up and let's you know what's happening! :D So I tried another measurement with a full-throttle blip to the redline and back... result...?

108dBa... LOL

Ooooh, I love it :D

AlexRWD

Post by AlexRWD » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:06 pm

This exhaust system sounds v tempting, esp if it will pass sound tests for track days! :thumbsup:

Was yours the first one H&S have done? How long did it take them to install?

carl wrote:I ought to point out that between the Impreza and the Z4MC I owned a TVR Cerbera for around 3.5 years.

TBH I view the Z4MC as a slightly slower TVR, but without the reliability issues (I hope!)
Hi Carl - I've followed a slightly similar Jap-to-Brit-to-German route to you, after 2 years in a Honda S2000, then 3 years in a TVR Tamora, and like you, am also hoping the Z4M will be a slightly slower but more reliable TVR :)
Merc SL55 AMG
previous cars: Interlagos blue Z4MR, TVR Tamora

sixspeed

Post by sixspeed » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:02 pm

AlexRWD wrote:This exhaust system sounds v tempting, esp if it will pass sound tests for track days! :thumbsup:

Was yours the first one H&S have done? How long did it take them to install?
It was the first. It took them 4 days because of this. But they should be able to do it faster now I'd have thought? Your best bet is to give them a call though..