Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tappety tap tap!

"M" Specific discussion
srhutch

Re: Tappety tap tap!

Post by srhutch » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:57 pm

Regarding the courtesy car, do what I did and get hod of BMW customer services (I had told the dealer I was doing this) and kick up a stink as your situation is similar to mine in that the dealer knew there is a fault but the car is not driveable due to possible further damage to engine.

Within 2 hours I had a 320d delivered to my door. Your dealer wil then have 48 hours to diagnose the fault before HQ start getting on your dealers case, which should help move things along.

jontysafe

Post by jontysafe » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:05 pm

Thanks srhutch and mmmfive. I have catalogued the cock ups from the day I went to pick it up until now. I`ve been a long time Audi customer, this is only my second BMW, the first one (BMW 750i) was more trouble than it was worth as well. First thing tomorrow morning I`ll be on to BMW and give them every opportunity to put this situation right. Will let you know how I get on.

jontysafe

Post by jontysafe » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:24 pm

Now have a courtesy car- courtesy of the supplying dealer. Customer services were about as helpful as mud. I`m going to give them 7 days to PROVE they have solved the problem long term of I`m going legal. More cost!!!

jontysafe

Post by jontysafe » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:54 pm

Another update, altho it looks like I`m the only one reading it!! Never hurts to talk to yourself I say!
BMW technical have been down to dealer, oil pathway was blocked by swarf causing oil starvation to the head. They have now been asked to completely strip the engine to every nut and bolt and if any more worn parts are found it will be a new engine. At the very least if no more worn parts are found it will be a new top end. The worst of it is it`s going to take at least two weeks! I think this could well be the dealer trying to rinse BMW insured warranty a little but if it`s a good job I don`t really mind as I have a new E92 as a courtesy car, albeit a 2.0i!! All I can say is that both the supplying dealer and local dealer have been really helpful and THANK GOD for buying it from AUC scheme.

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:10 pm

Good news that it's heading in the right direction, hopefully you'll have it back running beautifully very soon ! :)
Imola Z4MR #0026 6 yrs, & 66k so far..

JayD

Post by JayD » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:14 pm

jontysafe wrote:Another update, altho it looks like I`m the only one reading it!! Never hurts to talk to yourself I say!
BMW technical have been down to dealer, oil pathway was blocked by swarf causing oil starvation to the head. They have now been asked to completely strip the engine to every nut and bolt and if any more worn parts are found it will be a new engine. At the very least if no more worn parts are found it will be a new top end. The worst of it is it`s going to take at least two weeks! I think this could well be the dealer trying to rinse BMW insured warranty a little but if it`s a good job I don`t really mind as I have a new E92 as a courtesy car, albeit a 2.0i!! All I can say is that both the supplying dealer and local dealer have been really helpful and THANK GOD for buying it from AUC scheme.

Jonty

Sounds almost identical to what happened to mine. I hope you get it sorted. I think I had to wait about a week to ten days once engine was ordered. Just keep on at them and hopefully it will get sorted quickly.

Best,

Jay
Interlagos Blue Coupe, CSL's on Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's and Strut Brace - Gone but not forgotten.......

jamiez

Post by jamiez » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:25 pm

This storey is a scarey ride for any potential ///M owners!!!! :fuelfire:
Z4MC | Midnight Blue | OEM CSL's + MPSS | Extended Light Sepang Leather | Folding Mirrors | Stubby| BT | Prof Nav | DSP HiFi | Intravee | Privacy | Illuminated ZHP…

Z4//MMY

Post by Z4//MMY » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:09 pm

My car has quite loud tappet noise at times as well.

Has had pretty much since I bought it.

Its been into 2 different BMW dealerships and theyve both told me its a normal //M noise and can be quitened down by valve shims during the inspection.

My inspection is due in 3500 miles. I've only done 3000 miles in 10 months though and my warranty is up in 2 months!

Do I go back in insisting they look at it for any problems?

theyve told me before, as its a wear item (the valve and shim design is designed to wear) it doesnt come under the AUC warranty.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster / Silver Grey with Red Nappa Leather
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:18 pm

Z4//MMY wrote:My car has quite loud tappet noise at times as well.

Has had pretty much since I bought it.

Its been into 2 different BMW dealerships and theyve both told me its a normal //M noise and can be quitened down by valve shims during the inspection.

My inspection is due in 3500 miles. I've only done 3000 miles in 10 months though and my warranty is up in 2 months!

Do I go back in insisting they look at it for any problems?

theyve told me before, as its a wear item (the valve and shim design is designed to wear) it doesnt come under the AUC warranty.
My M3 didn't make any noise at my #1 service (50,000) KM but I was informed that my #2 service at 100k would cost $600 more than the #1 at 50k because they do the valve adjustment then. #1 was $1285 and #2 was quoted at $1800 (all plus tax). Im sure that the ZM service program is very similar as it had the same engine as my '05 M3. If you don't have close to 60,000miles on it, start raising hell and get it done under warranty. They checked clearances because they needed a cold engine at #1 and I paid for a lot of little nuts and bolts so they could do it. :thumbsdown:
Last edited by mcbeee on Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

sammyz

Post by sammyz » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:33 pm

The valve clearances should be checked under inspection 1. If your warranty is going to run out before then you can do a couple of things.

1. Put the whole 'noisey tappets' thing in writing stating dates looked at, what was said by dealer etc etc. Ask them to agree in writing it's a fair representation of what has happened so far. Then if it turns out to be more than tappet adjustment you will have some comeback to the dealer and
2. If you extend the warranty with BMW then you will have a much stronger case for them putting problem right if it turns out to be a major engine rebuild.
Yas Marina Blue 35i.

jontysafe

Post by jontysafe » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:57 pm

Cheers for all your comments, I suppose the good thing about all this is that the engine should be sweet as a nut when I get it back. May treat her to a Rogue Engineering Diablo exhaust system. Only if it doesn`t invalidate said life-saving warranty!! :P

jontysafe

Post by jontysafe » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:39 pm

Just recieved word from the dealer that BMW have agreed to a new engine as the bores were worn and the crank was a little scored, all probably down to this oil starvation problem. New powerplant en route from Germany. I`m over the moon about this as the prospect of having a re-built engine wasn`t filling me with glee.

One word of warning to prospective purchasers:- DO NOT even consider this car without the AUC warranty or extended manufacturers warranty. In the 5 months I have had my Zed, if I hadn`t have had a BMW warranty it would have cost me near to the purchase price of the car. New engine comes in at £14,000 and the work that had been done before this was about £6000. All these problems were down to the oil starvation. I think Dick Lovett Hungerford need a special mention for tracing the fault and being all round good guys. Andy, the master technician (of 25 years) there, through the service department, has kept me updated since it went in on the 23rd Jan.

One last word, my car was a BMW management car, being registered at the Yorkshire distribution centre hence the YF plate prefix. As has been said on here before SOME BMW management cars have a very hard life and are not run in as instructed or sail past the 1500mile running in service. I`m not saying mine was, it has a stamp at 987miles, but just something to keep your eyes out for. Perhaps an oil pressure guage would be a good addition to a second hand car? I have seen this done before.

ian in lancs

Post by ian in lancs » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:01 pm

I have a Z4M that's done 24k mls and 300mls at the ring and more miles at two other tracks. They rear tyres lasted 16k mls and the fronts were getting close to 3mm at 24k mls. The front pads all have 8.5mm thickness (pad wear indicator is 3mm) and front discs are 1.068" and 1.065". The engine tappets rattle a little as the vanos comes in around 3k rpm and the tappets are all within tolerance - I was there when they were measured at inspection I. The plugs were a little fouled and worn but that's it. So to be having the kind of engine problems you've had would get me wanting a new engine. The M3 engine is bullet proof. Good job they're getting a new one for you!

As for the brakes it sound very suspicious! I'm no Sunday driver, 10min 'ring laps, yet the brakes are in top condition and hardly worn. Me thinks the garage are after work... or the car has been thrashed and that's very difficult on an 'M' - I've seen the test drivers at work!
I'm on my second Zed, a cosseted 2007 Interlagos Blue Z4M Roadster owned since new - 343 horses controlled by a donkey...

Daily driver is a 2012 X3 3.0d M Sport (fantastic) Wife has a 2015 325d Luxury

IAM Observer

+49

Post by +49 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:09 pm

Wow!.

I'm shocked at the number of engine replacements on these forums for the Z4M (s54 engine i believe?)I though the original E46 m3 Lump was very reliable, Besides the pre 2002 bearing recall that caused a few engine failures.

I would demand a complete engine replacement at worst...

jontysafe

Post by jontysafe » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:25 pm

As far as I`m aware there are only three complete engine replacements known of on this forum, including mine. That is still a very small percentage and completely normal. You are right the s54 is very reliable.