Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sport Button - What does it *actually* do?

"M" Specific discussion
alexman

Sport Button - What does it *actually* do?

Post by alexman » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:28 pm

I tried searching for this in the forums but couldn't find an answer

What does this actually do in the Z4M and how does it do it mechanically?
Z4M Roadster, Red Leather Seats, Fully Loaded

Rudd

Re: Sport Button - What does it *actually* do?

Post by Rudd » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:31 pm

there are a few posts on here. from what i have seen it changes to a different setup on the ECU, changes the fuel air mixture, makes steering heavier, opens air intake quicker and increases throttle response.

i may have just made all of that up though!

Z4//MMY

Post by Z4//MMY » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:46 pm

On the M it doesnt do very much... it changes your perception of the performance more then anything.

The throttle is fly-by-wire.

There is a set relationship between the position of the throttle and the air intake.

Pressing the sport button changes this relationship so i takes less pedal travel to reach a more open intake position.

You can do the same without the sport button pressed by pressing the loud pedal further!

I believe on the non M cars it also tightens up the electric assisted power steering but as the M is hydraulically assisted it doesnt change the steering at all.

Before I bought my car a salesman at BMW (not the garage where I ended up buying from!) told me it changed the spray pattern from the fuel injector nozzle to increase performance.... the things salesmen will say hey?!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster / Silver Grey with Red Nappa Leather
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:22 pm

Quote from BMW:

'Activating sport mode makes the BMW Z4 Roadster feel even more dynamic. Just press the "Sport" button and the vehicle's electronic control units switch to sportier settings for the engine, steering and, on automatic models, the transmission. The engine responds more keenly, the steering's power assistance is reduced at low and medium revs for a more direct feel and the transmission adopts sportier shift characteristics.'
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

dgm

Post by dgm » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:43 pm

He's asking about a Z4M though. Throttle response is sharpened, nothing more and it's a waste of a button IMO.
06 Z4MC, Sapphire black, Aero sideskirts, BMW strutbrace, CSL's, Remus back boxes, Intravee and Alpine DAB

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:52 pm

Great on my Auto makes the car feel so much more alive but suprised they bothered on an M
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

Rudd

Post by Rudd » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:02 pm

thats a bit of a shocker actually. whats the point in having it in that case, what a waste!

TH3R4POR

Post by TH3R4POR » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:02 pm

Rudd_2002 wrote:thats a bit of a shocker actually. whats the point in having it in that case, what a waste!
Some would argue it's a waste on any version, as the car should be like that all the time.

Why would you want a spongey throttle pedal on a roadster/coupe at all?

chetalien

Post by chetalien » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:08 pm

Apart from throttle being sharper and of course more fuel consumption I cant see any difference. I always try to see the difference everytime I'm on the country roads. On motorways and city driving it doesnt make any difference.
Thats my opinion.
I only use it when i doing the twisties. I feels everything stiffens up and then more responsive. Dont know wheter its me or if it really happens.

Aliv6

Post by Aliv6 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:15 am

i use it on the motorway and twisties. It's unusable in traffic/town.
2007 Z4MC & 2004 Mk2 Clio V6

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:18 am

This is an ///M thread and as such I agree it's largely a waste of time, since it just alters the throttle response which is easily replicated by pushing it further (and therefore actually with greater control and precision)

Where it is useful is on the auto non ///M where the biggest difference is the shift between gears and it holding onto any given gear for longer up the rev range. Coupled with less steering assistance the car does come alive.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

zeddy

Post by zeddy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:01 am

IT seems to do something to the clutch as well - a shorter engagement point. I was actually playing with it tonight.
Z4 M roadster, carbon black, hardtop.

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:58 am

Could this be the answer:

'A placebo is a sham medical intervention. In one common placebo procedure, a patient is given an inert sugar pill, told that it may improve his/her condition, but not told that it is in fact inert. Such an intervention may cause the patient to believe the treatment will change his/her condition; and this belief does indeed sometimes have a therapeutic effect, causing the patient's condition to improve. This phenomenon is known as the placebo effect.'

Just apply the principle to the Sport Mode Button....... :evil:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:25 pm

Sport mode is better for response I've found on the 3.0i, but the linearity sharpness makes it really poor in some conditions.

Not sure on the M though, but if it's making it more responsive that is good, but with 340bhp on tap, if it's making it more sharp, that wouldn't be nice imho.

Nothing worse than throttles that do nothing after 50% input... grrrr!

Dave
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

sammyz

Post by sammyz » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:11 pm

I find it more usable since I fitted a straight through exhaust system. There seems a real difference in throttle response now. It's too sharp for town driving but on the twisties and when i want to get on a bit it's very good! I guess that's all the button was ever intended to do!
Yas Marina Blue 35i.