Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fuel filter change

"M" Specific discussion
beanie

Fuel filter change

Post by beanie » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:26 pm

Has anyone done this?

The reason I ask is the company I use for servicing have recommended changing the in tank fuel filter as my car is nearing 70k.

This isn’t something that seems to come up on the forums but they’ve been very good in the past and shown some good knowledge regarding other issues that several others couldn’t help with.

I don’t mind spending money on the car if it needs it, but given the lack of discussion on the topic I’m wondering if it’s worthwhile.

If I do have it changed, are there any other jobs I might as well have done at the same time? I’m not what needs to be removed to access the pump/filter so if there’s an opportunity to play the long game/enable man maths and have something else done/improved, I might as well!
RUBYIMOLACARBON

AndyBeech

Fuel filter change

Post by AndyBeech » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:53 pm

I have, to be honest though I wouldn't have done it if the whole underside wasn't apart anyway.

It's not technically a serviceable item, supposed to be 'for life', so about 100k then :roll: . The filter from BMW comes in a sealed unit as part of the regulator, don't think there are any aftermarket options to make it cheaper but stand to be corrected on that. It was about £100 IIRC for the part, labour I couldn't tell you as like I say was part of a bigger job but I don't think it's the easiest to do. I vaguely remember Darragh saying if it wasn't for the subframe / exhaust being off the car it would be a pain, sure someone else would have a better idea on that front.

Basically, unless you have a specific issue relating to it or you're fixing something else in that area anyway I wouldn't bother IMO. Can't hurt though. Mine was on 90k when I replaced it, made no difference to the engine but then I wasn't expecting it to!
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

beanie

Fuel filter change

Post by beanie » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:03 pm

Thanks Andy. Like you say, it can’t hurt and seems a logical item to service or swap. Can’t say I’ve noticed any fueling issues but then again, I had a pump give up/overheat in the alps many years ago and it’s not a great feeling!

I just looked it up on pelican parts and it seems like it can be done with just dropping the exhaust and a heat shield or two.

Sounds like one of those jobs that’s not exactly impossible but not the easiest with just a couple of axle stands-given I may end up having to do something similar on another car in a couple of weeks, once is enough!
RUBYIMOLACARBON

AndyBeech

Fuel filter change

Post by AndyBeech » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:09 pm

Yeah go for it, certainly can't hurt. Just make sure you're pretty empty on the fuel when you get it done, I lost a fair amount of V juice because I forgot!
It's just quite a tight space to work in to get to it I believe so the more that's out the way the easier it'll be, but yes Pelican are usually pretty good with their guides! A rating of 5 spanner difficulty though, not one for me! :lol:
If you have to move the exhaust about you could have a look at the usual rusty clamps make sure they're not falling apart while you're there (if you haven't already).
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!