Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Air scoop making a difference with gruppem?

"M" Specific discussion
Rossm09

Post by Rossm09 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:04 pm

I have done some digging on the following subject without satisfactory info to put my mind at ease - I just purchased and installed (thanks to woolybear) a GruppeM to my ZMR supper pleased with it, the sound is intoxicating!
Now I bought this with zero expectation of an performance gains and even to take it on the chin I could loose a few HP.

There has obviously been a few discussions over the years regarding the reality of whether the like of the RPI/Eventuri etc air scoops make any difference? Of which personally on a standard airbox, which being a sealed pipe to the front grill essentially ‘sucking air’ from just beside the from grill makes no sense it really would. However trying to look at it logically now I have the Gruppem install makes me think would potentially aid things - with the gruppem there is no sealed draw of air from the pipe to the front grill and with the way the OE scoop is angled behind the grill makes me think not much air is being forced ‘up and over’ and through the bumper to where the gruppem is located therefor zapping a portion of air supply thus dropping power?
Has anyone fitted a gruppem thinking the same or fitted a scoop after noticing any difference ? What are peoples thoughts around this as I have also seen some mention of people finding a better throttle response etc after a tune when having the gruppem fitted

Cheers

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:29 pm

My advice would be enjoy the noise and don't worry about any power gains or losses that will be so minimal anyway. Wouldn't bother with a scoop either for the same reason vs cost. I don't know what kind of tune your thinking but if you want to do it properly it will cost a fair whack, isn't much cheap plug and play available!
From my experience, unless you have deep pockets I really wouldn't worry about minimal gains on this engine. The gains worth doing are things like cams, carbon airbox, supercharge etc. Then I'd look at custom maps. Other smaller stuff is throwing money away better spent elsewhere :wink:
All in my opinion of course!
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:09 pm

It'll make a difference for sure from a technical perspective it can't be worse can it... How much who knows but for 50 quid I'd fit one personally.

For info the Eventuri comes with one as standard.

Ideally a sealed unit is the way to go they produce genuine gains at motorway speeds but the engine bay is fairly full with the s54 in there
IMOLA Z4///MR