Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Potential Z4M Dilemma

"M" Specific discussion
survivalist

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by survivalist » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:54 pm

I’ve owned a Z4MC since 2010. It went from being my daily driver to a weekend car.

Although I don’t drive it often, when I do I love the experience. I’ve driven loads of other performance cars, but there’s something I really love about the Z4.

The issue that I gave now is that I’m struggling to find a decent garage for private parking space for the Z4. So it’s likely that my choice is to

1. sell
2. use a car storage facility
3. park it on the street and (potentially) use it more than I currently do.

My main issue with storing it is that I can’t find any facilities that are close enough that I’d actually use the car much.

Part of me thinks I should not ruin its current condition. The other part thinks I should do as many miles as possible before we’re all forced into soulless electric vehicles.

What would you do?

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by Argyll Andy » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:08 pm

Difficult one to answer for non car reasons, like do you need the money, is it an absolute minter and street parking and more use will kill the value.

My personal view on any car that’s main purpose is fun is to use it as often as possible and get as many smiles amd miles in while we still can :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Gwest44

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by Gwest44 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:10 pm

I've got a Tesla Model 3 and I've owned a Z4MC - I sold the Z4MC because I just couldn’t justify the expense as a 2nd occasional car. .

The Tesla is great for the majority of driving I do for work and with the family but I do like to get out on my own for a blast every now and again - for that I now have a 2.2 E85 which is great and doesn't cost me half as much as the ///M did.

In short if you can keep the ///M and enjoy it do so - you'll certainly miss it when it's gone.
    Attachments
    20210903_193359.jpg
    20210903_193359.jpg (220.29 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
    Sapphire Black 23i
    Previously 7xZ3's, 5xE85's, 2xE86's & 3xE89's

Smartbear
    Lifer
    Lifer

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by Smartbear » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:22 pm

Have you tried asking about garage space on here, whereabouts do you live? :?
    Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
    e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
    e85 3.0si sold

survivalist

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by survivalist » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:24 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:08 pm Difficult one to answer for non car reasons, like do you need the money, is it an absolute minter and street parking and more use will kill the value.

My personal view on any car that’s main purpose is fun is to use it as often as possible and get as many smiles amd miles in while we still can :thumbsup:
    Everyone's definition of mint is different. It's low mileage (30k) and probably been serviced more than is technically necessary. That said, it's spend half of it's time living outside, so not a complete garage queen.

IMHO money is an odd discussion with a Z4M - the difference in prices between the best and worst examples isn't significant, although I expect it to grow at some point.

Running costs aren't currently an issue, which is why I'm leaning towards keeping it.

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:31 pm

It's a tough one.

If you can't find storage near enough that would mean you'd hardly use it I think that option is probably ruled out.

As others have said cost is a factor as a little used M isn't cheap to keep - as I'm finding out!

I knew mine would have to live outdoors, but at least it is in an allocated parking space. I'm not sure I'd want to keep it in the street though, but I haven't had it 2 years yet so I'm still a bit precious about it. I'm sure quite a few will have been kept on the street over the years, but only you know if that's a risk you'd be willing to take.

But as you say maybe we should be enjoying cars like this while we still can!

Good luck whatever you decide to do. :thumbsup:
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black

sw4nny

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by sw4nny » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:26 pm

Keep it,drive it more often.as you say the experience you get whilst out in it is good.so just feel good on a regular basis :thumbsup:
    E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:39 pm

survivalist wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:24 pm Everyone's definition of mint is different. It's low mileage (30k) and probably been serviced more than is technically necessary. That said, it's spend half of it's time living outside, so not a complete garage queen.

IMHO money is an odd discussion with a Z4M - the difference in prices between the best and worst examples isn't significant, although I expect it to grow at some point.

Running costs aren't currently an issue, which is why I'm leaning towards keeping it.
    Apologies, I hadn't seen this before I posted. :oops:

If money isn't an issue I'd probably take a chance on street parking and keep it - if you did sell you'd struggle to find another with such good history - as in 30K miles and one owner for over 10 years!
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
    Legend
    Legend

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by buzyg » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:44 pm

Just enjoy it and when it's finally gone, you will always have those miles in your head. :wink: Sat in storage it's doing nothing but costing you money. :thumbsdown:

MichaelK

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by MichaelK » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:23 am

Pointless story to tell but a contribution.....

When I lived at my parents until September last year, the last car I had was an immaculate and I mean immaculate e46 m3 which I always kept in their garage. It had always been said over the years that when I move out they can have their garage back, to fill with crap, which it's well on the way to doing now.

House I bought last September had no garage, just residents parking area so I sold my m3 as couldnt bare the thought of it potentially getting knocked etc.

Look at the prices of e46 m3s now. Mine was an individual colour , one of 14 in that colour and I sold it for 10.5k , now already would easily be a 16k car.

So what I'm trying to get at is do all you can to keep your car if it's a mint low miler as one day you'll regret it.

WillP

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by WillP » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:22 pm

Hang in there until a private garage comes up to rent (or beg a mate to use theirs!) - you have a low mileage, ultra rare coloured MC - you would never forgive yourself if you sold it......in the meantime rather than leaving it on the street i'd put into storage knowing (hopefully) it won't be stored for too long. Good luck!
    Alpine White MC, imola leather, OEM 19" CSL's, Gruppe M, Aero sills.

BMWZ4MC
    Lifer
    Lifer

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:22 pm

Mine has gone from daily driver to weekend car to track car over the last 12 years. It's lived on the street in London, then in garages in London, Buckinghamshire and Devon. It's now in a garage in Sydney because I couldn't bring myself to sell it when I emigrated. I say keep it by whatever means necessary :thumbsup:
    Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
    Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
    Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
    Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
    S2000 GT - gone

Crawford08

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by Crawford08 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:43 pm

I think the answer should always be Drive it.

My E46 M3 had well over 200k miles on it when I sold it for only a little less than any of them that weren't insanely low miles and the guy that bought it wrecked it 3 weeks after owning it.
    07 M Roadster moved on from a Z3 2.8 and E46 M3

Ed Doe

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by Ed Doe » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:52 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:22 pm Mine has gone from daily driver to weekend car to track car over the last 12 years. It's lived on the street in London, then in garages in London, Buckinghamshire and Devon. It's now in a garage in Sydney because I couldn't bring myself to sell it when I emigrated. I say keep it by whatever means necessary :thumbsup:
    Absolute hero :thumbsup:

I'm hoping to keep mine the same, we want to emigrate to Canada and I'd love to take mine over with me! Wife just rolls her eyes :lol:
    Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
    Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

Scubaregs
    Lifer
    Lifer

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by Scubaregs » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:59 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:52 pm

Absolute hero :thumbsup:

I'm hoping to keep mine the same, we want to emigrate to Canada and I'd love to take mine over with me! Wife just rolls her eyes :lol:
    Perhaps if you offered to take her too? :D
    Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
    Image Image