Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

VANOS issue

"M" Specific discussion
Simon 3.2M

VANOS issue

Post by Simon 3.2M » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:37 pm

Fortunately not an issue on my car but discussing a high mileage M with a guy I know. The vanos was recently diagnosed as having failed it’s test - I’ve driven the car and it stutters under load ie trying to accelerate in 4th at around 30mph. Not the ideal gearing I know but would the stutter be the vanos or the coil packs?
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice

woolybear

VANOS issue

Post by woolybear » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:18 pm

Simon 3.2M wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:37 pm Fortunately not an issue on my car but discussing a high mileage M with a guy I know. The vanos was recently diagnosed as having failed it’s test - I’ve driven the car and it stutters under load ie trying to accelerate in 4th at around 30mph. Not the ideal gearing I know but would the stutter be the vanos or the coil packs?
Intriguing question..

However, I’d of thought it might well be far cheaper & simple fault finding exercise - as well as far cheaper, to change the 6 coil packs :?

Then see how she drives :driving:

Rather than taking on, the potentially far more expensive, Vanos repairs etc - in the 1st instance :cry:

Martyn

VANOS issue

Post by Martyn » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:54 pm

Personally I'd re-run the vanos test and post the result here, the test can fail for a few reasons, some are very simple to fix.