Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sense Check Please

"M" Specific discussion
Bottom

Sense Check Please

Post by Bottom » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:49 pm

I'm thinking of selling my M roadster.

I've only done 3k miles since December 2017 when I retired from work. It's got 55k on the clock and is in very good condition EXCEPT that there's a fault with the roof mechanism. The motor itself is fine, I relocated it to the boot in the spring and replaced it with a shiny refurbished one. However, there seems to be a hydraulic leak on the driver's side which I can't see.

I've had the roof off before when I did the motor, so it doesn't phase me, but I frankly can't be bothered doing it again plus whatever is going on with the leak... I'm not sure I know how to fix that. I can live with a "manual" roof, it locks and unlocks fine and I'm happy to raise and lower it myself.

I reckon that the car with fully functional roof is worth 15-16k all day long, it's a well sorted car with the CH+ roof module, Eibach/Bilstein shocks, Vibratech engine mounts, lightly used Michelins and so forth. No advisories on the MoT in April either. It's not done 200 miles since then!

Truth is I'm fed up paying a lot to tax the car and never getting any use out of it. If we go out locally we take my wife's i3 because it's almost free to run and if we're going any distance we take my Velar because we've got 2 Golden Retrievers who don't fit in the Z4 :-)

So should I bite the bullet and fix the roof if I can, or sell as is but knock off 2k or so for the roof fault?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Sense Check Please

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:54 pm

I think £2k is a lot to knock off for the roof fault tbh.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

AndyBeech

Sense Check Please

Post by AndyBeech » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:09 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:54 pm I think £2k is a lot to knock off for the roof fault tbh.
Was thinking the same. Roof motor is the expensive part and that's done, should be well under 1k to fix any remaining issues for a competent garage I would imagine.

I would get the roof fixed, get some quotes and maybe leave it SORN for a bit and come back to it then see how you feel if you're in two minds about it.
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

Bottom

Sense Check Please

Post by Bottom » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:04 pm

Thanks guys, good to get an outside perspective, I'm too close to it to think straight.

r0bb0

Sense Check Please

Post by r0bb0 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:12 pm

I feel the same about mine but I tax it in the summer months on direct debit.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Sense Check Please

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:11 pm

AndyBeech wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:09 pm I would get the roof fixed, get some quotes and maybe leave it SORN for a bit and come back to it then see how you feel if you're in two minds about it.
I agree! I made that mistake with my first Z4 and 2 days after I took a deposit on it I was leaving a deposit on my 2nd. :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Big Bad Boris

Sense Check Please

Post by Big Bad Boris » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:35 pm

I would definitely get the roof fixed, seems it’s going to cost you one way or the other. If you sell without fixing it the likelihood is it’ll cost you more due to the unknown factor for the prospective buyer. Hence once fixed you’ll save money by achieving your full asking price, also if you do decide to keep it for a while longer you will get the pleasure of a fully working roof for that time, however long it might be.

Bottom

Sense Check Please

Post by Bottom » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:59 am

Yes, good points both. I realise if I sell it as is that I'll take a hit on it, plus I'd be reducing my pool of buyers quite a bit. I've kept it so far because I know I wouldn't find another one as good as this again. I'm in the fortunate position of not needing the money either.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Sense Check Please

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:31 pm

I think you've answered your question then!

With only just over 600 MRs coming to the UK you would struggle to find one as good as the car you know, and prices don't seem to be dropping!

You just need to find some reasons to use it more. :driving:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black