Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Converting a Z4M to an automatic ????? Blasphemy !

"M" Specific discussion
kaiser01

Post by kaiser01 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:02 am

This might be an option. It’s a kit for motorsport applications to add paddle shifting to traditional h-pattern boxes. http://www.mme-motorsport.com/en/produc ... -gearboxes

It’s similar in operation to the SMG but is pneumatic rather than hydraulic actuation.

However, I’d expect it will be a little unrefined for normal driving. They also reckon 20-40 hours labour for fitting and fettling, so probably £8K for the conversion. However, that is around half the price of a decent Z4 M, so maybe it is in scope.

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:53 pm

kaiser01 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:02 am This might be an option.
Looks a very good option . Thank you for finding that . Not sure if I could get car insurance though based on the disclaimer but worth looking into . I see that they are not providing them at the moment but will save the link for when/if the time comes . :thumbsup: .
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:54 pm

There you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AZzjQTV-F4

If the box will fit an FD RX7 it'll fit an E85/6 Z4M

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:24 am

Mister T wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:54 pm There you go:
Great find and what a beast to be using a DCT :evil: Even more encouraging to get a swap done . I would love to be in a position to go ahead with an M project . Someone else may get there before me and show me how it`s done :)
I can understand that the purist " M " people may not want it done to such a short supply of donors but it could always be swapped back :wink:
Now I MUST go and get a lottery ticket . :roll: :roll: "Ah well you can always dream " as Gilbert would say ( you may have to google that ) . :thumbsup:
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

RvsBmw

Post by RvsBmw » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:00 pm

Hi there,

Sorry to enter later ;). Best option in my eyes is DCT from a M3/M4.
Look at GNG Motorsport which have done a S54 swap with DCT on a 3 serie. But it must be possible on a z4.

Video's with some impressions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYtyLbL0GAo and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soQ2mVHpEhI.
Website: https://www.gngmotorsport.nl/ and link to the project: https://www.gngmotorsport.nl/show/s54-e ... Bpage%5D=2. Site is dutch (sorry :)).
BMW Z4M Coupe '08 | Sapphire Black | Bicolour Silverstone Anthrazit | OEM CSL's | Aero's

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:29 pm

RvsBmw wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:00 pm
Look at GNG Motorsport which have done a S54 swap with DCT on a 3 serie. But it must be possible on a z4.
Hi RvsBMW and thanks for the links . I shall take a look and see what they have done . :thumbsup:

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:09 am

Having DCT'd my E46 M3, I'd strongly recommend NOT using the HTG GCU, it's far from a 'finished' product regardless of what youtube vids show :)

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:15 pm

Martyn wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:09 am it's far from a 'finished' product
Hi Martyn . I would be very interested in your conversion and what problems you had especially with the HTG GCU . Have you done a write up on it anywhere ?

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:53 pm

https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threads/ ... -m3.235704

Basically the firmware is still very much a work in progress, each firmware release generally needs a complete re-tune and the bugs can be very annoying. Also, the Facebook support group HTG setup is heavily monitored by the owner so negative or posts from people with issues are generally deleted.

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:20 pm

Really interesting thread, great read :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:49 pm

Martyn wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:53 pm https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threads/ ... -m3.235704
Bl**dy hell Martyn that is some excellent work :bow: Such a shame that the HTG wouldn`t set up safely after all your input . In the thread you mention " I also bought another DCT gearbox so I could potentially explore another avenue, which would be using MaxxECU to control an 'E series' I6 gearbox." Is this something you are still considering ?

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:46 am

Thanks!

I've since sold my M3, the HTG experience left a bad taste in my mouth even after converting back to manual.

I made a plug and play loom for the MaxxECU but never drove the car as I was awaiting for a replacement DCT flywheel from Adamat Performance. I've kept the E series and F series gearboxes along with the MaxxECU just in case I buy another S54 engined car.....

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:17 am

Martyn wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:46 am S54 engined car.....
............... like a Z4M :thumbsup:

RvsBmw

Post by RvsBmw » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:07 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:49 pm Bl**dy hell Martyn that is some excellent work Such a shame that the HTG wouldn`t set up safely after all your input . In the thread you mention " I also bought another DCT gearbox so I could potentially explore another avenue, which would be using MaxxECU to control an 'E series' I6 gearbox." Is this something you are still considering ?
I can give the guys in the netherlands a call. Perhaps they also have the same experience as Martyn. Based on the vids posted, it looks good. But when negative post are deleted, than its not that transparent ;). Let me know if you want me to call.
BMW Z4M Coupe '08 | Sapphire Black | Bicolour Silverstone Anthrazit | OEM CSL's | Aero's

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:18 am

RvsBmw wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:07 pm Let me know if you want me to call.
If you don`t mind contacting them that would be very kind of you . It would be good to know what problems they came across and how they overcame them .

Thank you .