Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Z4MR owner with a few queries

"M" Specific discussion
getsetbrett

Post by getsetbrett » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:22 pm

Afternoon All,

New member, first post. I have recently picked up a 2006 Z4MR in Titanium Silver with 37,000 miles.

I owned an E46 M3 in the past so familiar with the S54 engine but I am enjoying it immensely in the roadster platform.

Few questions I would like to ask having owned the car for a number of weeks now:

Amber Handbrake Warning Light meaning?

My handbrake warning light changes from red when raised to now amber rather than off when releasing the handbrake.

Manual suggests Brake System, in particular brake fluid levels. My levels are fine, sensor looks clean. I have put an EML27 OBDII Bluetooth reader on with the Torque App but no codes found.

Car has driven perfectly with no symptoms now for a number of days. It is going to an Independent on Monday 9th but wondered if anyone has had this specific issue before? Just the amber handbrake light, no ABS or DSC light combination like some owners have had.

Roof Motor

Front windscreen latch motor working fine & roof retracts as normal to fully down when button pressed. Main motor behind passenger sear whirring away when trying to put roof up but very slow or no operation unless it is given a helping hand.

Drain holes have now been fully cleared but I imagine the motor has been sitting in water before & needs to be reconditioned/relocated to boot?

I am in Somerset. Is the gentleman in Bristol (Bradley Stoke) my closest? He did have a Gumtree add up advertising his services but it now looks to have been removed? What is the users name on here please?

Centre Console Handbrake Cover Replacement

Previous owner kept their keys under the handbrake which unfortunately has badly marked the small rectangular plastic trim. This looks to be a replacement clip in cover but can anyone confirm this piece can be changed on its own without removing the whole centre console etc. eBay link below:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265125012571 ... 1113.m2108

Alignment Print Out Correct?

Car has recently had a 4 wheel alignment after front ball joint changed. I have lowered tyre pressures to around 30psi Front /32psi Rear but it still seems a little skittish.

The Z4MR can be a pain to align I understand but do my figures look in spec? Will upload tonight. My biggest annoyance is the wheel sits at 11 o clock on some straight roads depending on camber/surface condition.

CDV Clutch Delay Valve Delete

Is it wise to delete the CDV? I understand it improves pedal feel and makes the car easier to drive at lower speeds.

1st to 2nd for me is super smooth synchro wise if you catch the revs between 3-4k.

I find it extremely difficult though to shift at low rpm which is often followed by a large clunk/chatter from the clutch when de-pressed. Gearstick feel is notchy but not synchro/metallically at low speed. Gearbox oil changed recently as well.

Array of questions but grateful for anyone's input.

Thanks

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:57 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Don't be surprised if people ask to see photos of your car!

I can't help with the amber handbrake light - I think you'll need to get the codes read to get to the bottom of that.

The nearest member to you for a roof motor relcation will be Alan near Bristol - his forum name is "Number5" but you will need to make 3 posts to send him a Private Message, although he may well read this thread. Or I could ask him to message you if that helped.

Sorry I don't know about the centre console cover but it looks like it ought to unclip if you remove the handbrake gaiter - hopefully someone will know!

I had the CDV removed from my car last year and the 1st to 2nd gearchange did feel better afterwards, but as it also had new gearbox oil it may be either or both things improved it.

Hope you can get the niggles resolved so you can enjoy your Z4 properly. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:38 pm

Welcome to the forum. :) I see MrTidy has already recommended Number5 for your roof motor. Never had clunks or chatter from the clutch at any RPM. Neither have I removed the CDV, but many here have. Worth checking it has already been removed.

Oh and come on where are the pictures of this fine animal. :wink:

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:19 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Few bits of info from me, yes to the plastic cover, comes out, I'd probably price one from bmw though, 30 sounds a lot some bmw parts can be quite reasonable.

Cdv yes get it out, fresh fluid, do the brakes at the same time it's the same res.

Alignment, what wheels and tyres are you on? Oem suspension? I can't see your alignment specs, you need to attach them. It shouldn't be skittish with the right geo though, it should track straight and true. :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:13 am

Orange brake light could be a brake pads sensor indicating a worn pad or a damaged sensor/cable, you can just link the sensor out to work out which one it is.

getsetbrett

Post by getsetbrett » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:42 am

Thanks all for your replies. I will make a few more posts & then PM Alan "Number5" to discuss the roof motor.

I wasn't at home last night but will upload alignment specs tonight. Local BMW dealer is getting a price for me on the centre cover. Hopefully like mentioned, just removing the handbrake gaiter will allow access.

I will take some better pictures once the car is how I'd like it, lots of little jobs like centre caps, stubby aerial etc to do.

Will keep an eye on the marketplace as I am desperate for an Eventuri intake and RPI/SS/Stromung exhaust as well.

ImageIMG-20210701-WA0002 by Brett Thomas, on Flickr

ImageIMG-20210606-WA0006 by Brett Thomas, on Flickr

ImageIMG-20210606-WA0013 by Brett Thomas, on Flickr

ImageIMG-20210606-WA0009 by Brett Thomas, on Flickr

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:00 pm

Step 1 to 3 shows how to get the part out.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticl ... usting.htm

Nice vantage :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR

MichaelK

Post by MichaelK » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:55 pm

The centre console part does come separately. I recently replaced mine, although when they arrive they are a bit greyish black compared to the older plastics of your console, so much so that I ordered another and it turned up the same after I even gave them part number off back of the old one.

They're just under £20 new if I remember correctly. You can have my other one for a tenner posted if you want one.

TomK

Post by TomK » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:14 pm

getsetbrett wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:22 pm Centre Console Handbrake Cover Replacement

Previous owner kept their keys under the handbrake which unfortunately has badly marked the small rectangular plastic trim. This looks to be a replacement clip in cover but can anyone confirm this piece can be changed on its own without removing the whole centre console etc. eBay link below:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265125012571
I would use bmw rather than ebay for parts like this, generally cheaper. Cotswold will usually give a small discount.
I paid £19 a few years ago B51.16.7.158.485 COVER 1 £17.97 10 £16.18 £3.24 £19.42
Remove the gear stick trim first and then it just slides forward. I ended up doing the whole lot as the Michael points out the new plastic just looks a bit different against the old.
gear trim.jpg
gear trim.jpg (63.12 KiB) Viewed 893 times
handbrake trim.jpg
handbrake trim.jpg (46.68 KiB) Viewed 893 times
getsetbrett wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:22 pm CDV Clutch Delay Valve Delete
Is it wise to delete the CDV? I understand it improves pedal feel and makes the car easier to drive at lower speeds.

1st to 2nd for me is super smooth synchro wise if you catch the revs between 3-4k.

I find it extremely difficult though to shift at low rpm which is often followed by a large clunk/chatter from the clutch when de-pressed. Gearstick feel is notchy but not synchro/metallically at low speed. Gearbox oil changed recently as well.
Had mine deleted a long time ago, didn't notice any difference.

Your low rpm shift issues are not normal. Maybe prop guibo (part #2)? You need to get it up in the air really.
guibo.jpg
guibo.jpg (36.32 KiB) Viewed 893 times
Enjoy :thumbsup:
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

MichaelK

Post by MichaelK » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:12 pm

Be careful removing the gear stick surround as the clips on it are really fragile. Mine now doesnt stay down properly, and a new one is £60.
I'd love a whole new centre console personally but its mega money. :(

getsetbrett

Post by getsetbrett » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:55 am

Morning All,

Photo of the recent alignment back in June 2021 before I bought the car. The Z4M tracks best on a Hunter system I thought I read somewhere but this was done on a Supertracker system.

Can any alignment experts or members who have used Supertracker before let me know what they think on the specs please. Like I mentioned on a previous post its the steering wheel sitting at 11 o clock on some straight roads which is bothering me the most!

ImageIMG_20210805_065342 by Brett Thomas, on Flickr

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:36 am

The different machines just tell the same thing ie. angles etc
It is how you use this info and how you want it to handle that makes a difference

The difference with the machines is mainly to do with how the equipment attaches to the cars wheels some cars are lowered and therefore some machines do not fit without hitting the bodywork.

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:24 am

getsetbrett wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:55 am Morning All,

Photo of the recent alignment back in June 2021 before I bought the car. The Z4M tracks best on a Hunter system I thought I read somewhere but this was done on a Supertracker system.

Can any alignment experts or members who have used Supertracker before let me know what they think on the specs please. Like I mentioned on a previous post its the steering wheel sitting at 11 o clock on some straight roads which is bothering me the most!

ImageIMG_20210805_065342 by Brett Thomas, on Flickr
Wouldn't trust that all! Never has an alignment come out so perfect...

The 'before' toe on the right hand side of the car looks ominous. Are the wheels and tyres on that side new or different to the other side?
IMOLA Z4///MR

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:51 pm

What was the front ball joint changed? Not aware there is any on the front, I guess a droplink? Whatever it was, were both changed or just one?

On the alignment they should have set your steering wheel up to point straight, sound like they might have missed that....

Those alignment settings don't look quite right either for a Z4M, should have more rear camber as standard I believe (-1.5). As for the toe, very difficult to tell as they've used mm to measure it in....someone far more intelligent that me will have to come along and decipher that one as there is an equation to convert it to degrees but wrong toe settings can make it feel skittish as you describe. Having said that at a guess I'd say it might be about ok if not a touch too much toe (F 0.04 - R 0.22 is standard I think in degrees).

Personally, if it was me...I'd get a full hunter alignment with the proper settings for either a Z4M or you can go CSL which is popular as a start point. They also might be able to identify any obvious suspension issues while they're at it if there are any. If it's still skittish after that at least you can eliminate the alignment and look into other areas. You'll get a nice print out like so (ignore my settings though they're to my own liking at the moment!):
6.jpg
6.jpg (106.79 KiB) Viewed 711 times
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:11 am

Personal question but out of interest does anyone know why caster seems to vary a lot between Z4M's seeing as it's not adjustable? I've seen some with over 7 degrees and some as low as 5 degrees?
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!