Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Life after an MC?

"M" Specific discussion
DevonPaul

Life after an MC?

Post by DevonPaul » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:31 pm

I might have finally persuaded the wife to part with her MC, again.

Between MOTs June - June it did under 400 miles, and considering we moved from Exeter to Shrewsbury that accounts for 190 of them. In comparison the recently departed Maserati's 507 miles was quite a jaunt, although the Classic did 6600 and the Avensis over 14k (there's a lot to be said for cruise and 50+mpg commuting up the M5 from Devon to Shropshire each week).

To be honest, with the move, Covid, and sorting the new place a bit, the cars were tucked in the garage under covers, and then hidden behind other stuff, but after nearly 6 years I think it is time for a change. And I can be very wearing :)

I fancy a Morgan 3 wheeler, but apparently we would use that even less, especially as I now have a bike, and Ann really likes the grunt of the M, even though she rarely actually revs it over 4k.

We'd still want some creature comforts, so I'm thinking Lotus Evora, probably the S, but wondered where else people go?

Budget circa 35k
2006 Imola Z4MC (wife's shopping trolley)
1990 Toyota Carina (Started as a free family heirloom, now apparently a Classic)
2016 Toyota Avensis 1.6D (yup, the *really* slow one).
2011 TDM900
1997 VFR750 project. 95% complete. Only 30% left to do.

abar121

Life after an MC?

Post by abar121 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:43 pm

I had a day driving all of the Morgan press / demo cars.

The Gulf three wheeler was fantastic fun and a real highlight. Possibly a fourth of fifth car if you have the space for it. There is nothing else like it.

I'm also a biker and will always take a ride rather than drive, where possible. But the more toys you can enjoy the better!

Have fun.
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Life after an MC?

Post by mmm-five » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:35 pm

Cayman GTS, or BMW M2, or M240!?

All probably less tiring on a run than a Z4M.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

SiJar

Life after an MC?

Post by SiJar » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:44 pm

I’ve just come back from driving the Alpine a110S and was surprisingly impressed!
Z4///MC

abar121

Life after an MC?

Post by abar121 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:11 pm

mmm-five wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:35 pm Cayman GTS, or BMW M2, or M240!?

Not so much the Cayman with all that road noise and a similar ride. The 2 series cars for sure.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Life after an MC?

Post by tomscott » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:19 pm

2 series interiors are a bit entry level tho. No nice Nappa etc

Real shame you can't spec the cabin with nicer materials. They put the M3/4 bits in the comp but the seats have Dakota leather which I don't like very much.

abar121

Life after an MC?

Post by abar121 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:10 pm

tomscott wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:19 pm 2 series interiors are a bit entry level tho. No nice Nappa etc

Real shame you can't spec the cabin with nicer materials. They put the M3/4 bits in the comp but the seats have Dakota leather which I don't like very much.
Yep. I drive one quite regularly. The Dakota isn't as bas as on an E90, but nothing like Nappa. It's an everyday car for me and an excellent one at that. The offset driving position, EPAS and saloon car roots make it a completely different experience to an E85/6.

Vanne

Life after an MC?

Post by Vanne » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:34 am

mmm-five wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:35 pm Cayman GTS, or BMW M2, or M240!?

Yup less tiring , AND less fun. :thumbsup:

Pretty much life's equation, the more you put in, the more you'll get out of it.

;)
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3
Powered by Severn Tuning

Ed Doe

Life after an MC?

Post by Ed Doe » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:50 am

Honestly, do you need the extra car? Sounds like even though your wife likes the Z4MC it still hardly got used.... is whatever you replace it with going to see any more use to warrant a significant financial outlay do you think?

just being devil's advocate, but if it were me I'd be wondering what the point is if more than two cars in the garage are seeing sub-500miles between MOTs; best off selling and not replacing - or selling the MC as well as one of the more regularly used cars, and then using the combined proceeds to get something with the right breadth of ability to be fun but also cope with more miles so you'd use it more?

Just a thought anyway.

My tuppence-worth on the replacements - Evora is an awkward looking thing from the outside, and the cabin fit and finish is dire, I'd avoid.
M2 Comp is a nice thing, but as Tom said the trim/leather is a bit entry-level. Morgan 3-wheeler - genuinely how often do you think you'd pick that over the bike to go somewhere? I also think they're really quite cool, in a very unusual quirky way, but if you're a bike guy I can't see it getting much of a look in...

My money would go toward a 997.2 C2S manual. Mileage should be less of a worry if you get the Gen2 ('09-onward) as it will come with the later dfi engine, which does not have IMS or bore-scoring issues (as well as having a little more power - 385bhp vs 355bhp from the Gen1). Wonderfully enjoyable cars to drive, plenty of shove, nice tractable engine, and actually reasonably practical and comfortable to do a bit more mileage in. Yes of course the Porsche is the 'obvious' choice, and probably viewed as a bit boring from some quarters, but they really are exceptionally good cars.

Can't think of much else that's half sensible for the budget - if you really are set on having an 'occasional car' then a supercharged Exige would be high up my list, but it's obviously an older car and not sure if that's your thing?
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

DevonPaul

Life after an MC?

Post by DevonPaul » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:23 am

Thanks for the ideas. Seems a lot of love for the M2 on this forum in general.

Yeah - we really don't need a third car, especially as I have a bike as well, but the wife likes her little sports toys occasionally. The Maser went as 2 unused cars was a bit much, and last year wasn't really representative for leisure miles. The 30 year old one was her fathers, I suspect it will take her to the Crem at the end. Besides, if the **** bricky actually turns up today after letting us down twice we'll have a 6x5m garage being built in the next fortnight, which will complement the brick double and timber single nicely :)

Lotus build 'quality' is to be expected, but few and far between but there is one within 40 miles we could go and see.

We want something that feels a bit 'special' for a third car and that you have to drive, so preferably minimal electronics and 3 pedals.

Cars like the M2 just don't interest us - this seems like a Playstation generation car coddled with electronics. Same for any of the hot hatches - they are all hugely capable and blisteringly fast, but these days that isn't much use.

911 - yes obvious but not unfeasible, if I can get past not buying a GT2 a few years when they were the same price as the Maser.

Wondering about aToyota GT86, although that would mean having 3 Toyotas again and it has less power than she would like, which is great for blood pressure but not for increasing heart rate.

TTRS looks like an option, manual and quick enough. and should be well built.

Alpine sounds nice - I like the idea but budget a bit over what we plan to spend. We do suffer from Mission Creep. We've reigned in from a McLaren GT or Gallardo as we really don't want 5k+ pa running costs, although at least it might tempt us to use it more to get our money's worth.

Paul
2006 Imola Z4MC (wife's shopping trolley)
1990 Toyota Carina (Started as a free family heirloom, now apparently a Classic)
2016 Toyota Avensis 1.6D (yup, the *really* slow one).
2011 TDM900
1997 VFR750 project. 95% complete. Only 30% left to do.

RvsBmw

Life after an MC?

Post by RvsBmw » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:56 pm

Just put a supercharger on it (see groupbuy for G-power) and you have a "different/new" car ;).
BMW Z4M Coupe '08 | Sapphire Black | Bicolour Silverstone Anthrazit | OEM CSL's | Aero's

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Life after an MC?

Post by mmm-five » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:11 pm

RvsBmw wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:56 pm Just put a supercharger on it (see groupbuy for G-power) and you have a "different/new" car ;).
Whilst the supercharger and fitting (unless you're capable yourself - I am not) may only cost £5k, you may want to budget another £7-£10k for new brakes, suspension, seats, exhaust, etc. :P
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

RedUn

Life after an MC?

Post by RedUn » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:36 pm

DevonPaul wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:23 am Thanks for the ideas. Seems a lot of love for the M2 on this forum in general.

Yeah - we really don't need a third car, especially as I have a bike as well, but the wife likes her little sports toys occasionally. The Maser went as 2 unused cars was a bit much, and last year wasn't really representative for leisure miles. The 30 year old one was her fathers, I suspect it will take her to the Crem at the end. Besides, if the **** bricky actually turns up today after letting us down twice we'll have a 6x5m garage being built in the next fortnight, which will complement the brick double and timber single nicely :)

Lotus build 'quality' is to be expected, but few and far between but there is one within 40 miles we could go and see.

We want something that feels a bit 'special' for a third car and that you have to drive, so preferably minimal electronics and 3 pedals.

Cars like the M2 just don't interest us - this seems like a Playstation generation car coddled with electronics. Same for any of the hot hatches - they are all hugely capable and blisteringly fast, but these days that isn't much use.

911 - yes obvious but not unfeasible, if I can get past not buying a GT2 a few years when they were the same price as the Maser.

Wondering about aToyota GT86, although that would mean having 3 Toyotas again and it has less power than she would like, which is great for blood pressure but not for increasing heart rate.

TTRS looks like an option, manual and quick enough. and should be well built.

Alpine sounds nice - I like the idea but budget a bit over what we plan to spend. We do suffer from Mission Creep. We've reigned in from a McLaren GT or Gallardo as we really don't want 5k+ pa running costs, although at least it might tempt us to use it more to get our money's worth.

Paul

If you think an M2 is full of gizmos I'm sure a 4wd audi will be worse...

What about a V8 vantage? 3 pedals, sound great, look great?
IMOLA Z4///MR

RedUn

Life after an MC?

Post by RedUn » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:01 pm

Cayman R has that feeling your talking about... Hold their money well too :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR

RvsBmw

Life after an MC?

Post by RvsBmw » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:06 pm

mmm-five wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:11 pm Whilst the supercharger and fitting (unless you're capable yourself - I am not) may only cost £5k, you may want to budget another £7-£10k for new brakes, suspension, seats, exhaust, etc. :P
Hmm they say G-power is easy to install, perhaps another member can help.
And yes, more power than the brakes need some love to, the rest is optional :)
BMW Z4M Coupe '08 | Sapphire Black | Bicolour Silverstone Anthrazit | OEM CSL's | Aero's