Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What oil are folks using?

"M" Specific discussion
Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:41 pm

Just back from a drive today and when I started her up from a brief pit stop, a message on the idrive warned that the oil level was at minimum and I needed to top up with 1 litre of oil. On the way home bought said litre and just out of curiosity and when home I checked the oil level and the idrive said it was between half and maximum?

Strange but at least I have a spare litre of oil when I really do need it.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:46 pm

That certainly does sound strange Nanu, but at least you have some for when you need it!

Still if you had an M you would also have a dip-stick. :lol:

Mine was filled with Castrol Edge 10W/60 at the last oil change and I plan to stick to that in the future.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Nick W

Post by Nick W » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:12 pm

Nanu wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:41 pm Just back from a drive today and when I started her up from a brief pit stop, a message on the idrive warned that the oil level was at minimum and I needed to top up with 1 litre of oil. On the way home bought said litre and just out of curiosity and when home I checked the oil level and the idrive said it was between half and maximum?

Were you parked on a slope after your break?
Silver M Roadster
220d Active Tourer
Landrovers 90 & 110

lfyost1

Post by lfyost1 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:14 pm

I ended up with Castrol 10w-60 "supercar" synthetic. My first change went well. Next one will take 1/3 the time.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:44 pm

Nick W wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:12 pm
Nanu wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:41 pm Just back from a drive today and when I started her up from a brief pit stop, a message on the idrive warned that the oil level was at minimum and I needed to top up with 1 litre of oil. On the way home bought said litre and just out of curiosity and when home I checked the oil level and the idrive said it was between half and maximum?

No, not exactly flat but not sufficient to alter any readings that much. Have done another test today just to be sure and still reads as 3/4 full so reassured.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:49 pm

Nanu wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:44 pm
Nick W wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:12 pm

No, not exactly flat but not sufficient to alter any readings that much. Have done another test today just to be sure and still reads as 3/4 full so reassured.
Sounds like they didn't run it to fill the filter to me before topping up :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR