Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Have to hand it to you...!

"M" Specific discussion
lfyost1

Post by lfyost1 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:13 pm

I enjoy seeing the great photos associated with the various threads. It appears a strong majority of forum members are based in the UK based on the cockpit orientation. I have to say I'm terribly impressed with your ability to do the shifting with your left hands. I'd have no gearbox remaining if that task was my fate.
I've visited the UK twice and the Irish Republic once, renting vehicles each time and managed only by cross arm driving.
Cudos to the deserving!

Layne

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:20 pm

It is how you are taught so it is second nature to us over here :D

I don't really have an issue when driving a left hooker
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:22 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:20 pm I don't really have an issue when driving a left hooker
Apart from when you come out the petrol station and 99% of the time go to the wrong side of the car to drive away :lol:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:32 pm

Ive been known to violently punch the doorcard when driving a left hooker :lol:

But you do get used to it quite quickly. You do need to watch for cars where they swap the pedals round too... :wink:

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:34 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:22 pm
    Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:20 pm I don't really have an issue when driving a left hooker
    Apart from when you come out the petrol station and 99% of the time go to the wrong side of the car to drive away :lol:
    Common issue sadly…

Work colleague was working at US operation …pulled out of gas (fuel) station at night onto a deserted road..in the subsequent head on crash his wife who was in the car lost her right arm..severed completely in the crash..

Down in Suffolk US airforce based wife pulled out of petrol station on A14 dual carriageway at night..travelled 8 miles on the wrong carriageway then met lorry head on..strangely she lost that argument..

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:41 pm

I've never understood why 3/4 of the world drive on the right and the rest on the left. Surely sometime in the past, when there were only a few vehicles on the road, some people should have had a conversation and agreed on one side or the other globally (as long as was the left obviously). It must be a PITA for manufacturers if nothing else.
    Wasn't it Sweden who changed from the left to the right some time ago? I bet that was fun for a while. :o
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:22 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:22 pm
    Actually years ago my mate lived in Germany and came home and pulled out from where I lived on to the wrong side of the road and in 20 years only once pulled out of a petrol station on the wrong side on the road.

Never had much of an issue otherwise :D
    2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:25 pm

I don't really have an issue when driving a left hooker
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Common issue sadly…

Work colleague was working at US operation …pulled out of gas (fuel) station at night onto a deserted road..in the subsequent head on crash his wife who was in the car lost her right arm..severed completely in the crash..

Down in Suffolk US airforce based wife pulled out of petrol station on A14 dual carriageway at night..travelled 8 miles on the wrong carriageway then met lorry head on..strangely she lost that argument..
    [/quote]

Not nice when that happens at all - its an instinctive reaction and no one can be blamed when it happens

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:26 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:41 pm I've never understood why 3/4 of the world drive on the right and the rest on the left. Surely sometime in the past, when there were only a few vehicles on the road, some people should have had a conversation and agreed on one side or the other globally (as long as was the left obviously). It must be a PITA for manufacturers if nothing else.
    Wasn't it Sweden who changed from the left to the right some time ago? I bet that was fun for a while. :o
    It was indeed - back in the 60's and I could just imagine the fun that was had for the next few months :D

bigwinn
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:30 pm

Spent a lot of time in US and with American colleagues here in the UK- explaining roundabouts to them was brilliant

I used to make up reasons to go to Milton Keynes with them driving just for the fun of it

Still not sorry!
    If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
    Coding- airbags etc PM me

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:40 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:26 pm
    Pondrew wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:41 pm I've never understood why 3/4 of the world drive on the right and the rest on the left. Surely sometime in the past, when there were only a few vehicles on the road, some people should have had a conversation and agreed on one side or the other globally (as long as was the left obviously). It must be a PITA for manufacturers if nothing else.
    It was indeed - back in the 60's and I could just imagine the fun that was had for the next few months :D
    Maybe that's why their cars have always been built to be strong in an accident (necessity, mother of invention and all that) :thumbsup:
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Mazda3 sold

buzyg
    Legend
    Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:03 pm

Apparently the Romans and others set the world to walking on the left, as they could draw their swords to defend themselves, with their right hands. Then some Frenchie, named Napoleon, made all his soldiers and subjects use the other side of the road. As he was a lefty and could defend himself better with his left hand. From that point on Europeans travelled on the right. Or so the story goes.

Personally I just get in and drive on the other side where required. Never given it much thought. Now speaking French, that I never could understand. :wink:

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:12 pm

buzyg wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:03 pm pparently the Romans and others set the world to walking on the left, as they could draw their swords to defend themselves, with their right hands. Then some Frenchie, named Napoleon, made all his soldiers and subjects use the other side of the road. As he was a lefty and could defend himself better with his left hand. From that point on Europeans travelled on the right. Or so the story goes.
    Seeing as I am left-handed, I shall start driving on the right from tomorrow then. I'll let you know how it goes (either from hospital or a police cell). :D

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Mazda3 sold

BMWZ4MC
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:05 am

I pulled out of a ‘gas station’ in LA and stopped at a set of traffic lights about 20m away. It was only when the lights changed and four lanes of cars facing me pulled away did I realise I was in the wrong side of the road :oops:

15 years later I drove 2000 miles around Europe in my Zed without a single issue until I exited the ferry port in Dover on the way back to London and went the wrong way around a roundabout.
    Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
    Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
    Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
    Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
    S2000 GT - gone

buzyg
    Legend
    Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:12 am

BMWZ4MC wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:05 am I pulled out of a ‘gas station’ in LA and stopped at a set of traffic lights about 20m away. It was only when the lights changed and four lanes of cars facing me pulled away did I realise I was in the wrong side of the road :oops:

15 years later I drove 2000 miles around Europe in my Zed without a single issue until I exited the ferry port in Dover on the way back to London and went the wrong way around a roundabout.
    It's worse from the passenger seat. I foolishly let an American engineer, drive us from Edinburgh air port to Rosyth once. After he drove the wrong way around a round about, :o :cry: :o :roll: I took possession of the hire car keys for the rest of the trip. :thumbsup: