Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Have to hand it to you...!

"M" Specific discussion
pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:18 am

I was taught with a LHD car and despite having spent much more time in RHD cars, when I drive back in Europe, it is far more natural for me. As I am right handed, the shifting feels much better with my right hand.

Also, I can drive through a narrow gap with a LHD car easlily, but can't do the same with a RHD. My perspective just does not work the same on a RHD car / road layout.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Darkangelv2

Post by Darkangelv2 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:21 am

[youtube]https://youtu.be/0sleqE6dwHk[/youtube]

I enjoyed the various unique approaches to this new Kentucky roundabout! :rofl:
BMW Z4 2006 2.5SI - 437M Wheels - Strut Brace - H&R ARBs
3.0si Brake Conversion - Custom Nappa Sport Interior - Z4M Bumper+Bonnet -
BC Racing BR Coilovers - AFE Stage 2

abar121

Post by abar121 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:40 pm

pvr wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:18 am I was taught with a LHD car and despite having spent much more time in RHD cars, when I drive back in Europe, it is far more natural for me. As I am right handed, the shifting feels much better with my right hand.

Also, I can drive through a narrow gap with a LHD car easlily, but can't do the same with a RHD. My perspective just does not work the same on a RHD car / road layout.
I remember my first time driving a LHD car. I smacked the door with my left hand at every junction, going for the handbrake!

After a while, I do prefer it, being right handed. But then I'd rather be on a motorcycle on either side!

Can't remember any problems at the pumps. There is almost always a little arrow next to the fuel gauge to tell you which side.
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

abar121

Post by abar121 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:42 pm

Last edited by abar121 on Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

beanie

Post by beanie » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:11 pm

I found the sense of space was the thing that took the longest to feel natural with. Physically it wasn’t an issue, I could place the car without any real problem, but the sensation really took a while to get used to. Strange, when you think about it as we’ve all sat in the other seat as passengers, but once you’re given the task and responsibility of control, it changes everything.

After years of driving LHD I still have a slight preference for RHD as I prefer having my dominant hand on the wheel. That said, if a perfect LHD car came up, I wouldn’t let it put me off.
RUBYIMOLACARBON