Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M roadster or coupe

"M" Specific discussion
Simon 3.2M

M roadster or coupe

Post by Simon 3.2M » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:54 pm

Unfortunately I’m just a massive fan of cars full stop - I actually think I just want to own them all! This got me thinking about if any members had swapped their M roadster for an M coupe or vice versa and what, if any, regrets they may have had.

Obviously it’s a very subjective argument but I thought I’d ask anyway.
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice

Haggisman

M roadster or coupe

Post by Haggisman » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:25 pm

Simon 3.2M wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:54 pm Unfortunately I’m just a massive fan of cars full stop - I actually think I just want to own them all! This got me thinking about if any members had swapped their M roadster for an M coupe or vice versa and what, if any, regrets they may have had.

Obviously it’s a very subjective argument but I thought I’d ask anyway.
I fit in to the same category, I have a roadster (albeit a non M) and want a coupe, I would get a coupe and want a roadster, only one solution - to keep saving for the one I don’t have. My wife prefers the roadster, says it feels more special when we go for a drive.
2003 Toledo Blue 3.0 E85 Manual
2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car
2020 Kia Sportage GT - Her Indoor’s Car
1995 Dakar Yellow M3 E36 Race Car - Sold
2009 Vauxhall Astra VXR - Sold
2003 350Z well modded - Sold
1992 911 RS - Sold and still in mourning

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

M roadster or coupe

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:59 pm

You must have a fair idea of the differences Simon, even if your Coupe isn't an M!

It would be handy if Darren Slone read this as he had one of each for a while, so would be able to offfer a good comparison.

I've never even sat in any model of Roadster. :oops:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

M roadster or coupe

Post by inkey$ » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:51 pm

Ive owned both.
MCoupe every time.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

warmasice

M roadster or coupe

Post by warmasice » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:02 pm

inkey$ wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:51 pm Ive owned both.
MCoupe every time.
Interested to know why? Is the drive more involving in the coupe?

Does the roof down in the roadster not make for a more exciting experience?

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

M roadster or coupe

Post by inkey$ » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:49 am

In truth it's probably more to do with personal aesthetic preference and owning a 'rare' car. The MC to me is a thing of beauty. A rare beast and with that engine, a joy to drive (if you ignore the occasional dodgy 1st to 2nd gear changes when not up to temp!) It has a certain presence and the sound and performance was classic S54: raw but measured. I owned an Interlagos over Champagne one and was my perfect combo. I just wanted to sit in or look at it whenever I had the chance.

The MR I owned was Sepang over Oyster (I think Taz still owns it today), and whilst I had lusted after a Sepang M car, and that engine still sang - for me the roadster styling was too familiar. there are quite a few non-M roadsters around and it didn't feel special enough.

I think thats why I've returned after various other BMW cars to owning a 3.0si Coupe. In fact I know it is. It's the 'feeling' of seeing it and owning it. The drive is the drive and they all perform and sound as fast or loud as you want them to, to a certain degree. I never drive my cars 100% at the limit on the roads (mainly because it would be massively illegal), but whether I'm enjoying a back road blast, joining a motorway from a slip road or just reversing out of my garage - its the coupe that does it for me and with an M engine it just makes it more special.

I've owned 10 BMW's over the years: 3 x M cars and 5 x convertibles - so I appreciate and get the feeling of open top motoring. It's amazing, especially at dawn or dusk. But the specialness of a Z4 coupe in any flavour is hard to beat.

Just my opinion of course and I still look at the roadsters for sale on eBay/AT/here pretty much every week :lol:
Last edited by inkey$ on Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

Simon 3.2M

M roadster or coupe

Post by Simon 3.2M » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:12 am

inkey$ wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:49 am In truth it's probably more to do with personal aesthetic preference and owning a 'rare' car. The MC to me is a thing of beauty. A rare beast and with that engine, a joy to drive (if you ignore the occasional dodgy 1st to 2nd gear changes when not up to temp!) It has a certain presence and the sound and performance is that classic S54 raw but measured. I owned an Interlagos over Champagne one and was my perfect combo. I just wanted to sit in or look at it whenever I had the chance.

The MR I owned was Sepang over Oyster (I think Taz still owns it today), and whilst I had lusted after a Sepang M car, and that engine still sang - for me the roadster styling was too familiar. there are quite a few non-M roadsters around and it didn't feel special enough.

I think thats why I've returned after various other BMW cars to owning a 3.0si Coupe. In fact I know it is. It's the 'feeling' of seeing it and owning it. The drive is the drive and they all perform and sound as fast or loud as you want them to, to a certain degree. I never drive my cars 100% at the limit on the roads (mainly because it would be massively illegal), but whether I'm enjoying a back road blast, joining a motorway from a slip road or just reversing out of my garage - its the coupe that does it for me and with an M engine it just makes it more special.

I've owned 10 BMW's over the years: 3 x M cars and 5 x convertibles - so I appreciate and get the feeling of open top motoring. It's amazing, especially at dawn or dusk. But the specialness of a Z4 coupe in any flavour is hard to beat.

Just my opinion of course and I still look at the roadsters for sale on eBay/AT/here pretty much every week :lol:
That’s a very fair assessment mate - in my early days of Z4 ownership I actually couldn’t stand the shape of the Coupe now however, I think it is lovely. I also love the Roadster but much more so when the roof is down - whilst they are the same base, to me they are two completely different cars.
Sepang Coupe

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Maldives Blue 2.5

Simon 3.2M

M roadster or coupe

Post by Simon 3.2M » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:14 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:59 pm You must have a fair idea of the differences Simon, even if your Coupe isn't an M!

It would be handy if Darren Slone read this as he had one of each for a while, so would be able to offfer a good comparison.

I've never even sat in any model of Roadster. :oops:
I hear what you are saying Ian but as is commonly touted, the M just has a completely different feel to it so whilst my Coupe is a great car, it is still very different.
Sepang Coupe

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Maldives Blue 2.5

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

M roadster or coupe

Post by tomscott » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:49 am

Having owned both... 4 years in the Mcoupe and 2 years with the Mroadster... The roadster is the better experience from feeling in touch with the road, noise and feel, the coupe can't really come close too and I was always a little disappointed with the noise in the coupe.

In the roadster you get equal exhaust and induction and the wind in the hair element goes a long with in the driving experience imo. I was generally surprised how much better it is in the Roadster coming into buying one thinking I knew a lot about the cars dynamics and I was wrong.

In the coupe your far more cocooned, its more droney on the motorway (I actually really struggled to get used to it for the first 3-4 months with headaches etc def something to get used to) but you get quite a bit of induction noise. In fact I didn't realise it sounded so good until I was photographing panning shots of the Z4MC.

The coupe really is gorgeous, marginally better to drive because of its faster rack and has the stiffer chassis but not 100% sure that's beneficial on an already very stiff car. It also gets more attention and is a special car. The Z4Mc I had was in a few magazines and I photographed it a lot so there was an element of additional attention in car circles which of course I loved about it.

The coupe is also an updated car, it has more sound deadening, the doors are heavier and less tinny mine is an April 06 so not sure if the later roadsters also got the facelift additions like the coupe. Funny I tried to sell my Z4Mc to Redline and the sales guy was like they are ok but they are super tinny.... I was like not really sure what your talking about but was talking about the roadsters. You also get the additional updates of the AUX jack as standard, glasses holder in the roof, bigger boot etc

I really disliked roadsters when I owned my coupe literally would never have entertained buying one. Its funny that the car was designed as a roadster and then they made a coupe because the car looks so natural as a coupe and has some fabulous design cues missing on the roadster.

Having the aero parts on the coupe like the skirts transitioning the lines from front to rear and the carbon fibre spoiler emphasising the lines from the bonnet over the roof and into the spoiler really makes the car, just simply stunning. The coupe really stands out with these mods and should have been standard. That and the addition of CSLs there just isn't a better looking BMW imo, those mods really make the car and the 5 spoke standard wheels are again another hate of mine think it makes the car look so much less aggressive and shouldn't have been the standard.

The roadster has a few strange decisions like the awkward key hole on the rear, the coupes boot opens by pushing the BMW badge and looks far cleaner to the point I think there was a group buy for body colour coded key covers :rofl: there is also less interior storage and the storage there is makes living with the car more difficult. Many bought the leather Z armrest which is a great addition but I think it does get in the way of the driving dynamic.

I sold the coupe to go traveling and when I got back and bought a 987.1 Boxster S and really didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Everything the Z4M is is missing in the Boxster. It is so precise and predictable which if your into that is great but I like the axe murderer personality of the Z4M the Boxster is so difficult to step out of line and the fact it was 50+ hp down made it quite sedate.

What I did love was the top down experience so I sold that then bought a 996 C4S convertible as a project with my dad. This brings back that murderous feeling the Z4M has being rear engined, if you push it it lets you know! The noise is another level with the PSE which the Z can't come close too even with aftermarket exhausts. It is a little heavier which dulls it slightly but its a fabulous car at the time it was 20k with all the issues sorted so it was a no brainer. The car is based about 100 miles away and was still a project at the time so I fancied something I could drive regularly. The car I bought is a well known car on the forum rare combo being imola on imola and a good friend of mine Paul had it for sale and it was being sold on behalf at a garage for too much I think they wanted 17.5k for it at the time so I rang him and stuck a deal so ended up with another Z4M.

I was thinking about another coupe but when comparing the price difference the additional benefit didn't really make sense to me in the current climate and the fact I had already owned one so I came back to an Mroadster.

The other thing for me is the Z4Ms main draw is the value for money there just isn't much that will touch it but getting into 30k and rising your getting into more territory. Eventually I want to get into a 997.2 4S so the Z4M will probably be a 3-4 year car rather than a keeper depending on circumstances and space.

Love both but I wouldn't buy another coupe mainly because its just not worth the extra 10k the roadster just a great all round package. The MR is also a rare car similar to the coupe.

The other thing that I thought worth mentioning, I bought my coupe and it first was my first sports car and bought it straight out of uni. Back then they were cheap circa 2010 (middle of financial crash) mine had 40k was 4 years old and was only 17.5k from BMW. I sold it to go traveling then came back to other cars. The Z4M although again great for the money I haven't really gelled with it like the coupe probably because its a different variant of the same thing and I held the Z4M car high because of reminiscing, made lots of mates and had so many good times.

Ive also been lucky enough to have access to 996 4s/997 Cs/991 Cs etc and they are just such a level above that I'm craving getting into something better as there is a lot to love about the Ms but its also a flawed beast too.

Just one of those things I think you do grow out of cars its just current markets that make the next step a bit financially silly as prices will come down and people will loose money. The fact that you do need twice the money to buy a 997.2 and its better but again not twice as good just like the Z4Mc at nearly twice the money isn't twice as good.

There is also an element of just enjoying what you have, with all said and done every time I drive it... fall in love with it again.

ImageBMW Z4M Coupe, Silver Grey, CSL wheels by Tom Scott, on Flickr

ImageZ4-forum Cumbria National Meet 2013 43 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

ImageBMW Z4M Coupe, Silver Grey, CSL wheels by Tom Scott, on Flickr

ImageBMW Z4M Coupe rear by Tom Scott, on Flickr

ImagePorsche 911's, Yorkshire Porsche Festival, Lotherton Hall, Leeds by Tom Scott, on Flickr

ImagePorsche 991, 996 Carrera 4S, Yorkshire Porsche Festival, Lotherton Hall, Leeds by Tom Scott, on Flickr

ImageBMW Z4M Roadster, Tatton Park by Tom Scott, on Flickr

TSP_0806.jpg
TSP_0806.jpg (142.37 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
TSP_0830.jpg
TSP_0830.jpg (184.02 KiB) Viewed 1158 times

buzyg
Legend
Legend

M roadster or coupe

Post by buzyg » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:38 am

tomscott wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:49 am Having owned both... 4 years in the Mcoupe and 2 years with the Mroadster... The roadster is the better experience from feeling in touch with the road, noise and feel, the coupe can't really come close too and I was always a little disappointed with the noise in the coupe.

In the roadster you get equal exhaust and induction and the wind in the hair element goes a long with in the driving experience imo. I was generally surprised how much better it is in the Roadster coming into buying one thinking I knew a lot about the cars dynamics and I was wrong.

In the coupe your far more cocooned, its more droney on the motorway (I actually really struggled to get used to it for the first 3-4 months with headaches etc def something to get used to) but you get quite a bit of induction noise. In fact I didn't realise it sounded so good until I was photographing panning shots of the Z4MC.

The coupe really is gorgeous, marginally better to drive because of its faster rack and has the stiffer chassis but not 100% sure that's beneficial on an already very stiff car. It also gets more attention and is a special car. The Z4Mc I had was in a few magazines and I photographed it a lot so there was an element of additional attention in car circles which of course I loved about it.
Nice post Tom :thumbsup:

I'm intrigued that you posted pictures of your roadsters with the roofs up. They look far better with the roof in it's correct position. :poke: :wink:

With the roof up you are simply photographing an object, there is little connection to what it is about. With the roof down, you are photographing an experience.

IMHO :)

RedUn

M roadster or coupe

Post by RedUn » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:55 am

Agreed good post Tom :thumbsup:

I think for me there's something special about driving with the roof down in the right place at the right time that no car with a roof can ever match.

This is one of my fave, pics, must be getting on for 10 years ago now on the edge of the alps, one of the true great drives I've done, it wouldn't have been the same in a coupe, not even close :thumbsup:
DSC_0155.JPG
DSC_0155.JPG (169.93 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
IMOLA Z4///MR

abar121

M roadster or coupe

Post by abar121 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:38 pm

Yep, Tom's post pretty much covered it for me.

I also have a 911 background and more recently had a 981S, having tried 991, 991.2C2S, manual 991s etc. All highly competent and involving drives, with a level of grip that is simply beyond usage on the road and traction that is pretty much unbreakable. On track sure, but they are all so competent, it's almost dull. Add zero steering feel and the sheer size of them now, they can feel a little anodyne.

But then I've felt that for all of the non GT watercooled Porsches, with most of the recognisable 911 traits (bobbing nose, necessity to trail brake, air cooled fan bellow on the overrun, floor hindged pedals, instant cable throttle, rod gearchange etc etc), eroded. I miss my 993C2.

I bought a Z4 because it was a roadster and I missed that, coming from a 993C2. Roof down with that S54 howling, is everything to me. It's also really stiff. Stiffer than a E46 Coupe IIRC.

Both have their flaws and annoyances, but the roadie has that massive upside for me. Other's think the exact opposite, no problem with that :)
Last edited by abar121 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

Simon 3.2M

M roadster or coupe

Post by Simon 3.2M » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:32 pm

As always another great post Tom, written from a very informed perspective. Like yourself I don’t quite see the extra 6-10k in the MC over the MR however, it’s where the market and demand is.
I too love my MR, I think more so because it’s the lower tax band - my fave pics.
2E79F6E1-856C-4A97-979C-D6AB2145831E.jpeg
2E79F6E1-856C-4A97-979C-D6AB2145831E.jpeg (142.57 KiB) Viewed 1092 times
C73CF627-E689-4466-B3C3-B30395FE73CB.jpeg
C73CF627-E689-4466-B3C3-B30395FE73CB.jpeg (118.39 KiB) Viewed 1092 times
Sepang Coupe

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Maldives Blue 2.5

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

M roadster or coupe

Post by mmm-five » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:11 pm

I'd happily drive a roadster, and have enjoyed my trips as a passenger, but there's a few of reasons it's never been on my must buy/own list...and it's nothing to do with perceived handling traits or hairdresser comments.
  1. I'd never have the roof down as I'm allergic to the sun (I'd get sunstroke with the top down on a clear winter's day)
  2. The roadster will allow as much luggage as the coupe (and I do fill the back when I go camping) - or I'd have to have the stowage base in the upper position and leave the roof up anyway
  3. The roof would last about 5 minutes before some scrote knifed it around here
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

RedUn

M roadster or coupe

Post by RedUn » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:43 pm

Simon 3.2M wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:32 pm As always another great post Tom, written from a very informed perspective. Like yourself I don’t quite see the extra 6-10k in the MC over the MR however, it’s where the market and demand is.
I too love my MR, I think more so because it’s the lower tax band - my fave pics.
2E79F6E1-856C-4A97-979C-D6AB2145831E.jpeg
C73CF627-E689-4466-B3C3-B30395FE73CB.jpeg
Lovely looking Zed, not biased at all :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR