Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M roadster or coupe

"M" Specific discussion
Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

M roadster or coupe

Post by Darren Slone » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:24 pm

I initially had my MR then had an opportunity for an MC to join the garage, I liked the MC, great looking car, but I preferred my MR hands down, personally can’t see the extra £7K as a like for like, I’ve always had weekend cars, special day, sunshine cars if you like, and for me the roof down and that S54 was wonderful, I’ve just contradicted myself with my latest purchase haven’t I :D :driving:
Attachments
1AE3CD4F-8A3E-4030-B299-D167AE5B7D5B.jpeg
1AE3CD4F-8A3E-4030-B299-D167AE5B7D5B.jpeg (116.25 KiB) Viewed 906 times

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

Verinder1984

M roadster or coupe

Post by Verinder1984 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:26 pm

I went with the roadster when I found out it was lighter Bcus the car was designed as a roadster to begin with meaning no extra weigh for cutting the roof off. Also it’s my first convertible car that played a big role.

I think the coupe looks more aggressive whilst the roadster you can drive around and not attract much attention.

Either way both great cars.

Does anyone know if coupe is actually more rare?? When I look at the numbers they looks the same to me? Also on Autotrader there are more coupes for sale than roadsters.

I’m still in honeymoon period with my car but eventually I might sell and try the coupe for a year or so.

gobowept

M roadster or coupe

Post by gobowept » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:58 pm

Both look great.

lfyost1

M roadster or coupe

Post by lfyost1 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:55 am

Not sure who this UK guy is, but he has a comparative perspective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Di7gf48TA

Bluebogartlabel

M roadster or coupe

Post by Bluebogartlabel » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:37 am

lfyost1 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:55 am Not sure who this UK guy is, but he has a comparative perspective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Di7gf48TA
It's JayEmm. I find his stuff highly watchable and he always has a balanced view on whatever he's reviewing,
E86 2006 Z4 si Sport Manual Coupe BMW individual / Individual Phoenix Yellow / Individual Kiwi & Black Leather / Individual 152 Wheels / Individual Kick Plates / Since 2016

jamiez

M roadster or coupe

Post by jamiez » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:29 am

Simon - enough chat, now just get that ///MC bought. :)
Good catching up last week! Let’s go for that drive soon.
Z4MC | Midnight Blue | OEM CSL's + MPSS | Extended Light Sepang Leather | Folding Mirrors | Stubby| BT | Prof Nav | DSP HiFi | Intravee | Privacy | Illuminated ZHP…

wspohn

M roadster or coupe

Post by wspohn » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:05 pm

I own an MC and a friend has an MR so we have the opportunity to compare. The Coupe has faster steering and twice the torsional stiffness of the convertible chassis. If you aren't into performance driving, that may well not matter to you (you might not even notice it) , but then why own an M at all if you'd be happy with a non-M and could save a bundle on price.

So yes it does matter, but only to those that like driving their cars as they were meant to be driven. If you just putter around, you'd probably never notice any difference between them. Obviously one can't drive either car hard all the time (and hope to stay at liberty), but knowing that it has the goods when you want it makes a difference in how you regard the cars.
Vancouver BC, Canada
2007 Z4MC
2009 Solstice GXP coupe
1962 MGA Coupe
1956 MGA (rebody+re-engined)
1958 MGA Twin Cam race car
1972 Jensen Interceptor

Simon 3.2M

M roadster or coupe

Post by Simon 3.2M » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:34 pm

jamiez wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:29 am Simon - enough chat, now just get that ///MC bought. :)
He sold it mate 🙄
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice

jamiez

M roadster or coupe

Post by jamiez » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:53 pm

Simon 3.2M wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:34 pm
jamiez wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:29 am Simon - enough chat, now just get that ///MC bought. :)
He sold it mate 🙄
Bad times!
Z4MC | Midnight Blue | OEM CSL's + MPSS | Extended Light Sepang Leather | Folding Mirrors | Stubby| BT | Prof Nav | DSP HiFi | Intravee | Privacy | Illuminated ZHP…

buzyg
Legend
Legend

M roadster or coupe

Post by buzyg » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:47 am

Verinder1984 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:26 pm
Does anyone know if coupe is actually more rare?? When I look at the numbers they looks the same to me? Also on Autotrader there are more coupes for sale than roadsters.
You are correct the MR and MC, were built in simlar numbers. There are however far more none ///M roadsters out there as the coupe only started to be built after the face lift along with the ///M variants.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

M roadster or coupe

Post by buzyg » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:58 am

wspohn wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:05 pm I own an MC and a friend has an MR so we have the opportunity to compare. The Coupe has faster steering and twice the torsional stiffness of the convertible chassis. If you aren't into performance driving, that may well not matter to you (you might not even notice it) , but then why own an M at all if you'd be happy with a non-M and could save a bundle on price.

So yes it does matter, but only to those that like driving their cars as they were meant to be driven. If you just putter around, you'd probably never notice any difference between them. Obviously one can't drive either car hard all the time (and hope to stay at liberty), but knowing that it has the goods when you want it makes a difference in how you regard the cars.
The roadster has more than enough torsional rigidity to handle what the S54 can chuck at it. It is also lighter than the MC and being slightly softer sprung, can dig in better off the line or out of tight corners. Hence, all other things being equal, the roadster is marginally quicker off the line and on tight circuits. :driving:

So for many it is the better drivers car. Not that I drive on track these days. Just thought your post could handle a counter point. :wink:

Bigpow

M roadster or coupe

Post by Bigpow » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:25 pm

Had the z4mr for 8 years now. Had a Ferrari California for a short period.

The zd is just awesome VFM and does everything you’ll need on the road.

The Cal was obviously amazing in every respect including bills.

But open top is where it’s at 👍🏻
Z4MR - Sapphire black.imola.carbon.19" csl's.

Franzino

M roadster or coupe

Post by Franzino » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:35 pm

I owned a Z4M roadster for 8 years....loved that car and I used it on street and also on track. Why did I not get a Z4M coupe for track? Because I used the car a lot on the street also and for me the possibility to get the roof down was an extra value for the car. It distinguish the Z4M more form my other (non) sport cars. The Z4M coupe does look nicer then the Z4M roadster, the coupe shape is also more exclusive then the roadster. All true; but for me the Z4M roadster was more fun then the coupe. If I bought the Z4M coupe then I had a small two seater sportcar....and that's it. But with the Z4M roadster; I had the extra benefit of putting the roof down which gave something extra to the whole driving experience. This is of course only if you like topless driving.

I sold my Z4M roadster in 2018 and on a regular basis I still drive my buddy his Z4M coupe. Everytime I drive it; I still think it's a great car (besides the horrible seats)...but for me there is something missing that would make the car more different then my other cars and this would be the ability to take the roof down.

By the way; don't let anyone ever tell you the roadster is less capable on track...we tested bot on track and the difference is so small. :oops:

beanie

M roadster or coupe

Post by beanie » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:42 am

I’ve had a few decent drives in roadsters but I find them tiring with the roof down for any length of time. Plus, their usable window is only a few months of the year out here so for me at least, they’re just a vulnerable, complicated liability.

Franzino- were you never concerned about crashing the roadster on track? It’s something that’s always in the back of my mind when I drive my girlfriends Z3.
RUBYIMOLACARBON

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

M roadster or coupe

Post by tomscott » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:12 am

I disagree with the usable window... especially with you being on the south coast... Plus if you tire of it you put it up, sometimes it gets too hot so put the roof up and putting the aircon on, best of both worlds.

Im up north in Manc and spend a lot of time in Cumbria and my roof is down at every opportunity. With a heater and heated seats the cold isn't really a factor, over 30mph rain doesn't enter the cabin.

Its one of those I was absolutely in your camp until I bought a convertible. The roof is a little bubble until you break out of it and realise the whole experience is hugely accentuated by dropping the roof. I didn't realise how good the S54 sounded until I got a roadster.