Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Starting to take the piss now...

"M" Specific discussion
Vanne

Post by Vanne » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:29 am

How does that work over there guys, is the vehicle on "Taxed" once upon initial purchase? or every year? whats the tax based on, is it the current value of the car? or new car price?

if its taxed every year, isnt that kinda like dubble dipping as youve already payed the "tax" the previous year?

or is this just in place of your rego , persdonal insurance in case you hit someone else?

i believe your roadworthy is called MOT, which is seperate..

sorry for the dumb question, but it comes up a bit and just wondering what the hell that tax actually is, and what its for.
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3
Powered by Severn Tuning

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:56 am

The “tax” is an annual charge much like the annual registration in Australia. In order to tax your vehicle it needs a valid MOT (the annual safety check), and proof of insurance.

The cost of the tax reflects how polluting a car is deemed to be, but without any consideration for the distance covered by that vehicle each year. As such, a Z4M driver that covers 2000 miles per annum will pay markedly more tax each year than the owner of a VW Polo that covers 30000 miles per annum, despite the latter being the more polluting driver. The fair solution would be to abolish road tax and either increase the duty on fuel or levy a per-mile charge for all vehicles.

The UK doesn’t have two separate policies for mandatory third party insurance and voluntary comprehensive insurance the way that the CTP and voluntary comprehensive insurance are separated in Aus. In the UK, you have one insurance policy that covers third party injury and property damage as a minimum, and can be increased to a comprehensive cover if desired. In addition, the policy is associated with the driver not with the vehicle, so a car insured in my name is uninsured if you drive it (unless you hold an insurance policy that cover the use of my vehicle). That differs significantly from Australia, where you can drive my car on my policy and be fully insured.

That the Australian minimum CTP covers injury only and not third party properly damage is ridiculous. It means that your car can be damaged by a legally sanctioned driver who is effectively uninsured. I know of more than one overseas visitor to Australia who has been caught out thinking that the mandatory CTP policy would cover the repairs to another vehicle that they’d driven into, only to discover that they were uninsured for property damage and would have to fund vehicle repairs running into tens of thousands of dollars.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Rucky

Post by Rucky » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:34 am

Electric is only free temporarily - why do you think we have so many smart motorways and ANPR
Pay by the mile for electric and everyone.

That is steep though!!
04 2.5i Titan silver - 1st Z4 now sold on
07 3.0si Silver Grey M Sport pak.
X5 and assorted motorbikes

Phippy

Post by Phippy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:01 am

Electric vehicles are a stopgap to Hydrogen vehicles. Already have the pumping stations in place, just need more research to up the efficiency from ~70% to >90%.
2008 BMW Z4 3.0SI Sport Coupe
2013 VW T5.1 Camper - Built not bought

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:21 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:56 am The “tax” is an annual charge much like the annual registration in Australia. In order to tax your vehicle it needs a valid MOT (the annual safety check), and proof of insurance.

The cost of the tax reflects how polluting a car is deemed to be, but without any consideration for the distance covered by that vehicle each year. As such, a Z4M driver that covers 2000 miles per annum will pay markedly more tax each year than the owner of a VW Polo that covers 30000 miles per annum, despite the latter being the more polluting driver. The fair solution would be to abolish road tax and either increase the duty on fuel or levy a per-mile charge for all vehicles.

The UK doesn’t have two separate policies for mandatory third party insurance and voluntary comprehensive insurance the way that the CTP and voluntary comprehensive insurance are separated in Aus. In the UK, you have one insurance policy that covers third party injury and property damage as a minimum, and can be increased to a comprehensive cover if desired. In addition, the policy is associated with the driver not with the vehicle, so a car insured in my name is uninsured if you drive it (unless you hold an insurance policy that cover the use of my vehicle). That differs significantly from Australia, where you can drive my car on my policy and be fully insured.

That the Australian minimum CTP covers injury only and not third party properly damage is ridiculous. It means that your car can be damaged by a legally sanctioned driver who is effectively uninsured. I know of more than one overseas visitor to Australia who has been caught out thinking that the mandatory CTP policy would cover the repairs to another vehicle that they’d driven into, only to discover that they were uninsured for property damage and would have to fund vehicle repairs running into tens of thousands of dollars.
Thanks for the excellent explanation. Really appreciated that. :thumbsup:

Yeah the CTP will only cover persons only. Gotta have at least 3rd party property damage cover.. Dubai is very similar, though there is only Rego and insurance,

Cheers again, how are you enjoying my home town? Hope your having a blast. :)
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3