Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Starting to take the piss now...

"M" Specific discussion
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:50 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:18 pm Yep, i think they’ve increased the tax on my motorbike as well - thieving barstewards
You gonna go for the £1.84 a month option Rob, just to help with cash flow?? :rofl:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:01 pm

markplant wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:35 pm Then start putting taxes on electric vehicles
This will happen. Look at how much of a hit they're gonna take on fuel duty as well as Vehicle Excise Duty. For those needing to drive a leccy car, make hay whilst the sun shines, cause free VED ain't gonna last long!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

abar121

Post by abar121 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:03 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:17 pm
abar121 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:26 pm
Smartbear wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:53 pm Is that an electric bike?
Rob
RD400 Daytona two stroke smoke machine :) ULEZ compliant too.
It’s only ULEZ compliant became the testing machine doesn’t work when it’s covered in oil :lol:
Rob
:lol: :lol:

There's actually an official testing site nearby. I was going to take a slightly later RD350 YPVS there for a joke.

The owner is up for it, one day!
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:04 pm

I did a quick calculation, just for fun.
Based on 5,000 miles a year, with unleaded being £1.30 per litre and an M doing an average of 25mpg; it now costs you 35.6p per mile just in fuel and road tax. That's high :o
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:05 pm

Nictrix wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:28 pm Its the only way to make everybody shift into electric vehicles, price petrol/diesel vehicles off the road. :(
Not going to happen, how are people who spend a coupe of K on a used car going to afford an electric vehicle and by the time its at a price point they can afford or want to pay the range will be about 3 miles
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:10 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:05 pm
Nictrix wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:28 pm Its the only way to make everybody shift into electric vehicles, price petrol/diesel vehicles off the road. :(
Not going to happen, how are people who spend a coupe of K on a used car going to afford an electric vehicle and by the time its at a price point they can afford or want to pay the range will be about 3 miles
The dealers will offer 25year mortgages on easy terms for electric vehicles, ensuring everyone can sign up :o
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:13 pm

Its the only way to make everybody shift into electric vehicles, price petrol/diesel vehicles off the road. :(
[/quote]

[/quote]

The dealers will offer 25year mortgages on easy terms for electric vehicles, ensuring everyone can sign up :o
Rob
[/quote]

They may well offer long term leases but again there will be. group of people who will not want the monthly financial commitment - its going to be a balancing act between taxing fuel / VRFL and electric as a lot of people could lose their mobility - how will kids manage when they have to pay £400 to lease a car and £800 a month to insure it :|
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:39 pm

Yes push everyone to electric, drive up the expenditure on those who haven't made the shift until it becomes uneconomically viable to own. Remember low emissions and 0% RFL and everyone else saw their RFL rise... then they discovered they weren't making enough money through taxes, so change in the scheme. Same will happen with electric cars, so how about those without off road parking, flats etc. Most homes have at least two cars now its going to be crazy :soapbox:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:48 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:10 pm The dealers will offer 25year mortgages on easy terms for electric vehicles, ensuring everyone can sign up
I can't see why they will need to TBH. The EV revolution has started and it won't stop. The more EVs are produced, the cheaper they will become; economy of scale surely?
Fully EVs have been around in small numbers for a good few years now, so the kids will be buying 5-10 year old ones for little money in a few years time. The hybrid "stop gap" will become obsolete as they will be no use to anyone in the future. They are only being produced ATM to capitalise on sales due to tax breaks.
We are at the start of a massive shift in the way we travel, it's gaining momentum and it ain't gonna stop because our Gov have committed to it and can't turn back now. It's only people like us who will complain; the younger generation won't know any different so will just go with it.
There are many clever people investing a lot of money in making this work, for profit obviously. The carbon paint seems an obvious way forward when someone can make it viable. The whole exterior of the car is a solar panel. :o

Coincidentally, I just got an email from a leasing company offering a Nissan Leaf EV for around £200 per month, about the same as an equivalent ICE model!! :o

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:59 pm

There is a shift but we have to remember that cars 6 or 7 years old will potentially have a significantly reduced range so they are not going to be worth a lot. What use is that when you have a 300 miles journey to make and range off 100 miles - unless we can go from 10% to 80% charged in 5 minutes it will take a while.

People keep saying you cant have petrol after 2030, nonsense you just cant buy petrol only, hybrids will be available as they know it is going to take 10 to 15 years to get a sensible range from a vehicle which has rapid charge capability and the network in place charge it when its here.

Pumping up VRFL is not about being green, its about financing the spending we have had during the pandemic IMHO

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:21 pm

EV will be like Betamax & VHS in the future , its simply not a viable option to think everyone in the UK could function with one , the solution needs to be something else sustainable , practical , affordable ( to the masses) & actually works .
Besides the problem of the amount of power needed to charge them all exactly how would it work on terraced roads where there are no designated spaces for homeowners ? extension reels out of bedroom window down the road & around the corner to where you managed to park :D
There was a radio interview last week with the person designated to overseeing the changeover from fossil fuels to electric between now & 2030 , they were asked how many charge points per day were being installed nationally :? errrr no answer
Then told they needed to be doing 700 per day every day for the next 9 yrs & the silence was deafening :D
Its not about whats environmentally right , its about practicality & feasibility , both points that the majority of those pushing EVs seem to have forgotten about .
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:37 pm

mr wilks wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:21 pm EV will be like Betamax & VHS in the future , its simply not a viable option to think everyone in the UK could function with one , the solution needs to be something else sustainable , practical , affordable ( to the masses) & actually works .
Besides the problem of the amount of power needed to charge them all exactly how would it work on terraced roads where there are no designated spaces for homeowners ? extension reels out of bedroom window down the road & around the corner to where you managed to park :D
There was a radio interview last week with the person designated to overseeing the changeover from fossil fuels to electric between now & 2030 , they were asked how many charge points per day were being installed nationally :? errrr no answer
Then told they needed to be doing 700 per day every day for the next 9 yrs & the silence was deafening :D
Its not about whats environmentally right , its about practicality & feasibility , both points that the majority of those pushing EVs seem to have forgotten about .
Very valid points there sir, we are just not ready for this'd again the blinked mob pushing electric seem to ignore the effect of making the batteries, shipping them around the world and then disposing of them never mind about how we actually produce the power.

Electric will never fully take over.
Last edited by Ole gits rule on Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:44 pm

All the above comments (including mine TBH) are based on the current technology and infrastructure, or lack of. The 2030 date has been put out there by the Gov to send a message to the boffins that they are serious about this, so invest at little risk and the sooner the better. The Gov are not going to do anything apart from facilitate industry to get it done with incentives and carrots of big profits.
Governments do the headlines, business does the nuts and bolts. I don't believe for one minute that 2030 is achievable, but it's sending a message. In 2030 Boris and his cronies will be a sideline in history and they all know that.

Now might be a good time to start buying EDF or EON shares :D

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:44 am

:wkr:
Pondrew wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:44 pm Now might be a good time to start buying EDF or EON shares
Or maybe not! Eon took over npower last year, but still can't make my poxy "Smart" meter work. :wkr:

But luckily I taxed my MC in February for a mere £580! And "just" £330 for my 3 Series daily in March!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:19 am

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:44 pm I don't believe for one minute that 2030 is achievable, but it's sending a message. In 2030 Boris and his cronies will be a sideline in history and they all know that.
Well if they do the bosses at Jaguar are going to look a wee bit silly as they have committed the company to all electric in 2025. :scratchhead: