Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4MR Service history query

"M" Specific discussion
AndyT

Post by AndyT » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:21 pm

Would love some owners opinion on service history.

I’ve been looking for a low mileage Z4MR and one has come up which ticks nearly every box with circa 30k miles however there is a 7 year stint in the middle with no service history but the car did less than 10,000 miles in this period which is backed up with a good mot history.

I’m aware the oil should be changed every 2 years as a minimum regardless of mileage but according to the computer the service wasn’t due :headbang:

2 questions really, could this cause me significant issues and would you walk away?

Just want to get behind the wheel but if the right one :driving: :driving:

All other services seem to be inspection 1 or 2 are regular.

I’ll be getting an inspection ii done straight away and a full inspection by Redish Motorsport.

Most Z4Ms I’ve looked at with being low mileage have a gap of 4 or 5 years in history at some point but this is the first with 7 I’ve considered.

All opinions appreciated.
--- Currently - 2007 Z4MR

--- Previous BMWs - Z4 M40i First Edition, Z4 2.5i Sport, 430d xdrive Coupe, 330i Coupe, 525i, 540i, Z4 2.5i, 330ci Convertible, Z3
--- Plus over 40 non BMWs inc. S2000, Focus ST, Octavia VRS, RS3, MINI JCW

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:48 pm

That's a tricky one.

I'm fairly new to M ownership, but although mine did very few miles for 4/5 years fortunately it never went longer than two and a half years without an oil service and only did 3,000 miles in that time.

Can you tell from the MOT history when most of the mileage happened during those 7 years? I'd be a bit less concerned if most of the 10K or so was done within the first couple of years after it was last serviced.

Given how few Ms there are I'd probably live with a higher mileage example that had a better history, like the two for sale on here. Then you don't need to worry the same about putting some mileage on the car either!

Good luck whatever you decide. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:59 pm

If you had 2 almost identical cars at the same price, with the only exception being one was missing the bi-annual oil services, then you'd go for the one with the more complete service history.

But at such a low mileage, I'd be wanting to know if it's been a dry-stored garage queen, or just put away after a weekend thrash with no concern about crud/rot build up!

Can you detail the mileage/regularity of the Inspections listed, as I'm not sure what you mean by "All other services seem to be inspection 1 or 2 are regular" as at that mileage it would probably only just had it's first Inspection 1?

If it's had annual/bi-annual Inspection 1s or 2s, then the missing oil services are irrelevant, as the Inspections include an oil service anyway.

...and if you do think it could be the one for you, then maybe get Redish to do a PRE-PURCHASE inspection before parting with any money :thumbsup:

...sorry, just seen it's a Roadster...forget it then, they're all horrible tatty things :P
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:02 pm

mmm-five wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:59 pm ...sorry, just seen it's a Roadster...forget it then, they're all horrible tatty things
:lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Street

Post by Street » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:39 pm

In theory I was in this exact same position last month on this Z4MR: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=129400. It had gone 8 years without new oil. Being honest I still wanted to buy it as the asing price was £17.5k. The cost / risk balanced itself out. They used a mileage discrepancy as the reson for forcing it to auction (probably knowing they'd get more with no liability).

On such a low milage car its only likey to have got to its first and second inspection. If its needed more than that over those miles its been driven hard. Redish have no space for a pre-inspection before September when I asked. You could still ask for an oil inspection to try and gauge early engine wear.

If the asking price reflects the gap, and you know you'll take a hit when you sell it, I'd personally take the risk.
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

3.0si Coupe Sapphire Black Target 300k miles
Serial Zed tinkerer. Always looking for the next Zed project :D

griffnut

Post by griffnut » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:29 am

Perhaps you have to think ahead, as to when you want to sell that same car. Is the lack of servicing, going to put off your prospective buyers in the future years?

Then your question is answered.

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:03 am

Thanks for all the opinions, which pretty much reflect everything going round in my head.

I’m really undecided as I know I have to compromise somewhere but is history one I should compromise on, perhaps not. Saying that, I’ve also had cars a lot newer or even brand new with more than their fare share of issues.

One thing is it’s always a gamble as you don’t know how a car has been driven or if tracked, especially if a lot of previous owners. I guess you just have to roll the dice sometimes :headbang:

--- Previous BMWs - Z4 M40i First Edition, Z4 2.5i Sport, 430d xdrive Coupe, 330i Coupe, 525i, 540i, Z4 2.5i, 330ci Convertible, Z3

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:23 am

Andy, I think with our sensible hats on we, or more importantly, our wallets become risk adverse, particularly when buying something like this.

As you say many newer, fancier and more expensive and exotic cars have issues. Your concerns have a good baseline in that you have no idea how this car was treated or driven during the low mileage it has covered.

I now treat these things all the same, we all strive for the best we can, lowest mileage/owners, best colour/spec, best/bargain price etc etc but now I’m allegedly older and wiser (allegedly I said :wink:) it always comes down to a couple of things, what’s my gut telling me and there’s always another that’ll be better for me if I don’t think this one is.

That of course is mostly based on patience, which not a lot of us, including me, are blessed with when we want something, especially a man maths funded fun car :lol:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

craig3.2
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:26 am

As mmmfive says,if its been garaged, looked after when used,put away correctly and had inspection 1 and inspection 2 services in its time,then maybe worth thinking about.
    I would get Reddish,etc to check it over,Prior to any purchase, and gettheor thoughts on it.

If it's only had oil services and no inspection and ibsp2's,then that would concern me, as no valve clearance checks or shims would have been done, which is a worry,given the length of time/age of car,regardless of mileage.

Personally, I would want a more complete service history, but take on board the above advice, and see what Reddish thinks of the car :thumbsup:
    Hope that helps :D
    Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
    Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:27 pm

It would certainly put me off.

I've done fewer than 10k miles in the last 7 years of ownership and have had every service/inspection completed on time including all the brake fluid changes, etc.

If there are no gaps in the MOT history (i.e. it hasn't been laid up in storage) then there's no excuses for not getting it serviced.

mmm-five
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:50 pm

@AndyT

Can you clarify what was meant by your comment:
    AndyT wrote:"All other services seem to be inspection 1 or 2 are regular"
    Has it had Inspection 1 or Inspection 2 services in place of bi-annual oil services? If so, it has actually been 'over-serviced' :P
    Trigger’s Z4MC

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:45 pm

mmm-five wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:50 pm @AndyT

Can you clarify what was meant by your comment:
    AndyT wrote:"All other services seem to be inspection 1 or 2 are regular"
    Has it had Inspection 1 or Inspection 2 services in place of bi-annual oil services? If so, it has actually been 'over-serviced' :P
    It appears to have alternating inspection 1 and 2 every 2 years apart from the 7 year break when it’s had nothing.

The owner was under the belief that servicing was only when the computer says based on mileage and not time as well.

I’m really torn as the car is the specs I want, but worried the engine may have been damaged with the mot history showing approx 1300 miles every year during the 7 years, so it’s done about 7000 miles with oil over 2 years old.

mmm-five
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:42 pm

AndyT wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:45 pm It appears to have alternating inspection 1 and 2 every 2 years apart from the 7 year break when it’s had nothing.

The owner was under the belief that servicing was only when the computer says based on mileage and not time as well.

I’m really torn as the car is the specs I want, but worried the engine may have been damaged with the mot history showing approx 1300 miles every year during the 7 years, so it’s done about 7000 miles with oil over 2 years old.
    Thanks.

Sounds like it's been serviced for 7 years...Inspections instead of oil services...then nothing for the remaining 7 years :o

Is it the same owner throughout, or did it change hands at about the same time as the servicing schedule flipped from 'over-servicing' to 'under-servicing'?

You're in a bit of a Catch-22 situation.

If you feel it's the car for you, all you can do it give it a full inspection 2 when you buy it, and then do 6 monthly oil changes (with oil analysis) to check there's no engine issues...but then you've already bought it and spent lots of money!

You could also wait for the perfect car, with the perfect history, but can still end up with identical engine issue purely through chance.

I'd probably go for a higher mileage one (I don't mean a 160,000+ one of course) with a solid service history...and if it's anywhere over 70,000 miles then budget for the preventative rod bearing change (or start regular oil analysis to mitigate it somewhat).
    Trigger’s Z4MC

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:03 pm

mmm-five wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:42 pm
    AndyT wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:45 pm It appears to have alternating inspection 1 and 2 every 2 years apart from the 7 year break when it’s had nothing.

Thanks.

Sounds like it's been serviced for 7 years...Inspections instead of oil services...then nothing for the remaining 7 years :o

Is it the same owner throughout, or did it change hands at about the same time as the servicing schedule flipped from 'over-servicing' to 'under-servicing'?

You're in a bit of a Catch-22 situation.

If you feel it's the car for you, all you can do it give it a full inspection 2 when you buy it, and then do 6 monthly oil changes (with oil analysis) to check there's no engine issues...but then you've already bought it and spent lots of money!

You could also wait for the perfect car, with the perfect history, but can still end up with identical engine issue purely through chance.

I'd probably go for a higher mileage one (I don't mean a 160,000+ one of course) with a solid service history...and if it's anywhere over 70,000 miles then budget for the preventative rod bearing change (or start regular oil analysis to mitigate it somewhat).
    Different owners which is what’s caused the change.

Seems to be a common theme, there was another that’s only had an oil service and an inspection 1 in 15 years but is listed as full BMW service history :headbang:

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:51 pm

AndyT wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:45 pm I’m really torn as the car is the specs I want, but worried the engine may have been damaged with the mot history showing approx 1300 miles every year during the 7 years, so it’s done about 7000 miles with oil over 2 years old.
    With such limited use I might be tempted if it ticked every box!

Especially given that the UK seems to have got around 120 MRs in Interlagos Blue with black leather going by this:- http://perso.numericable.fr/tonyz4c/index.html

Over a decade later how many of those will have done so few miles?

I'd rather pay less for one with more miles and better history, but it's your choice.
    Coupes because stunning!
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black