Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What is normal oil temperature?

"M" Specific discussion
Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri May 21, 2021 8:58 pm

Inspired by "tiglon's" post on the E89 section I thought I'd ask on here because I've been wondering ever since I got my car, and probably am even more paranoid about it since I had the shell bearings replaced last year. :roll:

I don't pay much attention to the amber lights because they are all off almost before the gauge has moved off the stop! :o

My car has only ever got above about 90 degrees a couple of times since I had it and that only happens on hot days or when I've been sitting in traffic.

So I work on 90 degrees being fully warmed up meaning I can then give it some revs as/when appropriate.

But I'd be interested to know what temperature others' Ms run at, and their threshold for some fun!

Thanks. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Fri May 21, 2021 9:30 pm

90-100 for me, 110 if driving enthusiastically. 125 on track :thumbsup:

Edit - same as you mine never gets more than light throttle and less than 3krpm until its at 90, just not interested in chewing my new rod bearings either!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun May 23, 2021 12:57 pm

More or less as above:
- normal running once up to temperature just below 100C,
- UK track days about 110C,
- Aus track day maximum 125C
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun May 23, 2021 1:25 pm

With those temps It can't be coincidence that tracked S54s suffer more than non tracked , would you say the numbers above are "normal" for most cars on track days ?
I was watching the oil temps quite closely on my TTRS this weekend , ts had 450 hard miles added the last 3 days with a few others in the Lakes & Dales , yesterday particular hard climbing the passes over Kirkstone , Hardknot & Wrynose done after a few hours of enthusiastic mileage :oops: & oil temp peaked at 94c :? it predominantly sits around 90c .

Perhaps Bmw should have worked harder at keeping the temps down with a better / bigger fan coming in sooner ?
Are there mods you can do to them to help with engine cooling ?
I guess it also emphasises the importance of good quality clean oil at the right levels along with the right coolant mix .
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sun May 23, 2021 1:42 pm

Normally for me the oil temp sits around the 90, driving hard around 100, I’ve seen it up to about 110 but no higher, I don’t think I drive it particularly hard though and haven’t done any track days.
The 35is is fitted with an air cooled oil cooler from production and I think the later 35i is as well,

Edit
Not paying attention, didn’t notice it was M specific so my comment isn’t really relevant :headbang:
Last edited by Chippie on Sun May 23, 2021 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Sun May 23, 2021 3:37 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:25 pm With those temps It can't be coincidence that tracked S54s suffer more than non tracked , would you say the numbers above are "normal" for most cars on track days ?
I was watching the oil temps quite closely on my TTRS this weekend , ts had 450 hard miles added the last 3 days with a few others in the Lakes & Dales , yesterday particular hard climbing the passes over Kirkstone , Hardknot & Wrynose done after a few hours of enthusiastic mileage :oops: & oil temp peaked at 94c :? it predominantly sits around 90c .

Perhaps Bmw should have worked harder at keeping the temps down with a better / bigger fan coming in sooner ?
I guess it also emphasises the importance of good quality clean oil at the right levels along with the right coolant mix .
Not really no. 10w60 is designed to offer stable viscosity at high ttemperatures such as track applications - a side effect is that it's hideously thick when cold, which in turn is anecdotally at least a significant factor in rod bearing wear as technically the oil is too thick to offer decent protection when cold.

125c isn't particularly hot for a 10w60 oil, 145c is where the viscosity starts to change due to thermal breakdown.
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

TomK

Post by TomK » Sun May 23, 2021 4:17 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:37 pm
mr wilks wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:25 pm With those temps It can't be coincidence that tracked S54s suffer more than non tracked , would you say the numbers above are "normal" for most cars on track days ?

Not really no. 10w60 is designed to offer stable viscosity at high ttemperatures such as track applications - a side effect is that it's hideously thick when cold, which in turn is anecdotally at least a significant factor in rod bearing wear as technically the oil is too thick to offer decent protection when cold.

125c isn't particularly hot for a 10w60 oil, 145c is where the viscosity starts to change due to thermal breakdown.
Exactly, castrol 10w60 is practically chilling at 125c, its shear value is around 145 as you say. I usually see around 120 on uk tracks but have seen considerably higher at 'autobahn' speeds of 1 hour plus 120-170mph. BMW design their cars to be used in this respect and many are. Rod bearing wear is almost beyond doubt caused by high loads when the oil is cold (and too viscous) and almost certainly has nothing to do with oil being too hot.
mr wilks wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:25 pmIt can't be coincidence that tracked S54s suffer more than non tracked
Is that just your opinion with some random anecdotal support or are there some actual facts to back up this statement?
mr wilks wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:25 pmwould you say the numbers above are "normal" for most cars on track days ?
Yes

Even at 130c you're still far off the heat level that BMW constitute as too high according to their in car gauge, I'm not sure why anyone has a problem with that? It's not like we don't believe the petrol gauge :roll:
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun May 23, 2021 4:37 pm

I wasn't attempting to antagonize the track warriors, I was genuinely posting thoughts & reasoning.
As you were chaps, , once again il leave you with your high horses & pompous attitude yo anyone who doesn't own a sparco jumpsuit .
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sun May 23, 2021 5:04 pm

My second S54 engine lasted 140,000 miles of road & track use before the rod bearings gave up.

I don’t know how many owners who say they “always warm up the car before thrashing it” actually do what they preach, but I purposely book a hotel further away from the track so that the car has a good 20 minute warm up driving period before getting ‘thrashed’.

I’ve read enough threads claiming one thing or the other kills engines. So mny anecdotal contradictions in fact that I’m totally confused, and will just continue to follow my own ‘scheduled+’ frequency of maintenance…and hope I get similar mileage out of my 3rd engine.

My previous 3 cars got to over 160,000 miles - a modified Corrado VR6 and 2 x e34 M5s - despite regularly (and more frequently than the Z4) thrashing them. But none of my cars have ever been a weekend/track only vehicle, so I’ll assume lots of regular/easy mileage with some thrashing thrown in doesn’t do the engine any harm.

Please take what you want from the above…I’m not here to proselytise :thumbsup:
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

TomK

Post by TomK » Sun May 23, 2021 5:27 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:37 pm I wasn't attempting to antagonize the track warriors, I was genuinely posting thoughts & reasoning.
As you were chaps, , once again il leave you with your high horses & pompous attitude yo anyone who doesn't own a sparco jumpsuit .
You say that but it's not the first time of you insinuating that anyone who tracks their car is some kind of mad man who is inevitably going to blow up his engine. Firstly it really has nothing to do with the op's question so why bring it up and secondly I'm a bit surprised that you clearly feel aggrieved about someone questioning your "thoughts and reasoning" with some other reasoning and also some actual facts about the oil properties and what is normal. If that offends you and you think that's pompous then maybe best to keep those thoughts to yourself?
I'll leave you with your stereotypical views firmly intact no doubt, I have a feeling it's beyond any of us to change them :roll:
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Sun May 23, 2021 6:09 pm

limp mode kicks in at 136 degrees. (not sure if thats intended or not, but thats when mine starts cutting fuel). i run mine anywhere from 120-135 on a really hot day. I hope to drop that by 5-8 degrees with the new oil cooler/meth setup.

I have to add, just talking about oil temp wont give you much of an idea about whats going on, you need to add oil PX and water temp to that picture. not too worried about oil temp really, its the PX thats important. esp on initial start and when warmed up.
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3