Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Stupid Mistake

"M" Specific discussion
tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Stupid Mistake

Post by tomscott » Fri May 21, 2021 12:44 pm

Im sure we've all got a stupid mistake story to tell but I had a particularly :headbang: moment this morning.

I put my bag in the boot, booted the car up in the garage, left the drivers door ajar as I reversed it out, as you reverse obviously the doors lock. I parked it badly on the other side of the road while I went back to shut the garage door to come back and drive to work.

I heard the door close behind me as I walked away and thought nothing of it. Locked the garage came back locked out the car :headbang:

After work im heading away for the weekend so I had my spare set of keys in my bag, tend to carry the spare when im away incase I loose the normal key or if the mrs needs to use the car.

So the cars sat wonkey on the road, live near a school and it was school run... sat there for nearly 3 hours until the lock smith arrives and uses a little click tool which essentially emulates your key... 5 seconds and he was in.... Frightning really. Sure its the easiest £95 he's made.

Thankfully I parked it usually I leave it in the middle of the road as it takes like 30 secs to shut the garage. Imagine the chaos for the school runners if id locked myself out with the car parked sideways across the road.

Anyway live and learn.... hope that made you chuckle! Man I was mad with myself!!!
IMG_7006.jpg
IMG_7006.jpg (303.8 KiB) Viewed 969 times

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Stupid Mistake

Post by mmm-five » Fri May 21, 2021 1:05 pm

I'm just lucky that I've not done the same, as I also put my spare keys in a bag in the boot.

Luckily (though I've never had to use it) I've always got the valet key in my wallet.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Stupid Mistake

Post by tomscott » Fri May 21, 2021 1:24 pm

mmm-five wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:05 pm I'm just lucky that I've not done the same, as I also put my spare keys in a bag in the boot.

Luckily (though I've never had to use it) I've always got the valet key in my wallet.
Unfortunately the vallet key didn't come with the car. Need to get myself one.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Stupid Mistake

Post by Smartbear » Fri May 21, 2021 1:26 pm

Disable the auto lock function :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

IRD

Stupid Mistake

Post by IRD » Fri May 21, 2021 1:37 pm

Did a similar thing a few years ago one Christmas Eve. I had taken the car in for some new tyres.went in to pay and had left the keys inside. The doors locked. The guys at the garage couldn’t get in. Auto Glass were in the unit next door and they had no success either. Being Christmas Eve everywhere closed early and I was left on my own. There were some valuable items in the car including my phone so I was really beginning to panic. But Lady Luck was on my side. A guy in one of the other units saw me and came to see what the problem was. He contacted the locksmith who just happened to be a few minutes away. He was in town collecting some last minutes Christmas presents and had come in his van. Best bit? He wouldn’t take anything since it was Christmas. I have always been really careful since then. :roll:

srhutch

Stupid Mistake

Post by srhutch » Fri May 21, 2021 1:41 pm

So the key was still in the ignition?

Bottom

Stupid Mistake

Post by Bottom » Fri May 21, 2021 1:52 pm

I can sympathise, something similar happened to me once.

A few years ago I was travelling over to Skye for a meeting from my base in Ft William. Normally I had to take the pool Corsa diesel but this day there were none available, so I was able to justify taking the Z4 :driving: It's a cracking road down to Mallaig.

It's about 50/50 time wise going by the ferry or driving round to the bridge, so I decided to take the ferry, it allows a wee break from driving and an ice cream (I'm basically a child, get over it!). Arrived sharp at Mallaig and the port crew knew who I was (I did the trip regularly) so let me get prime spot on the boat to get away before all the tourists. Got out the car and did the usual "lock lock lock" sequence on the key to activate the CH+ module and shut the roof. Except it didn't work. By this time I've got a load of tourists all squeezing past so I quickly lean in, bung the key in the ignition, give it a twist and then push the "up" button on the dash. Roof smoothly closes and I lift the door handle to get the key back and go get my ice cream...and the car is locked. :headbang:

I wanted to die on the spot, my car is blocking the exit off the boat, and there are about 200 tourists who will tear me limb from limb for messing up their holidays. My wife is home with the spare keys, just a 90 minute drive away.

I summoned the officer of the deck, told him what I'd done and was told "Don't worry, we've a couple of lads from Campbelltown down in the engine room, they'll be into your car before we get to Skye". Five minutes later, 2 guys appear on the car deck, one has a sort of sucker thing and the other has a bit of what looks like flexible curtain rod. The guy uses the sucker to pull the passenger window out a bit, the other uses the curtain rod to push the unlock button on the centre console and I"m back in the car :driving: I even had time for an ice cream.

Bought the guys a couple of cases of beer in the Co-op in Portree for their efforts.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Stupid Mistake

Post by buzyg » Fri May 21, 2021 2:44 pm

:lol: thx for sharing your daft moment tom. :thumbsup:

Always a little paranoid about locking my keys in the car. I have made a habit of putting the key into the drivers door lock whenever I'm doing some thing like that, where I'm right next to the car. Filling up pay at pump I do it. Sitting in the boot changing my foot ware after a walk is what got be started doing it a few years back. Means I know exactly where it is. No more hunting through six pockets thinking have I just shut it in the boot, as I go to get back in the drivers seat. :)

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Stupid Mistake

Post by Zedebee » Fri May 21, 2021 2:56 pm

Jeez, I started reading that and saw the picture and thought it was going to end up with your car half way down the street on the end of a RangeRover (the school run near me is like the US President’s cavalcade). Glad all ended well and your car looks great btw.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Simon 3.2M

Stupid Mistake

Post by Simon 3.2M » Fri May 21, 2021 3:50 pm

Lucky escape indeed Tom. Personally I’m paranoid about getting my car stolen so even backing her out of the garage is followed by me shutting the engine off and removing the key - I remember all those tales of drivers leaving the key in and someone jumping in and driving off. In reality the bogey man probably isn’t watching my every move but old habits and all that!!
Glad you got sorted without too much hassle. 😊
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Stupid Mistake

Post by tomscott » Fri May 21, 2021 4:03 pm

tomscott wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:28 pm
tomscott wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:24 pm
mmm-five wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:05 pm I'm just lucky that I've not done the same, as I also put my spare keys in a bag in the boot.

Unfortunately the valet key didn't come with the car. Need to get myself one.
IRD wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:37 pm Did a similar thing a few years ago one Christmas Eve. I had taken the car in for some new tyres.went in to pay and had left the keys inside. The doors locked. The guys at the garage couldn’t get in. Auto Glass were in the unit next door and they had no success either. Being Christmas Eve everywhere closed early and I was left on my own. There were some valuable items in the car including my phone so I was really beginning to panic. But Lady Luck was on my side. A guy in one of the other units saw me and came to see what the problem was. He contacted the locksmith who just happened to be a few minutes away. He was in town collecting some last minutes Christmas presents and had come in his van. Best bit? He wouldn’t take anything since it was Christmas. I have always been really careful since then. :roll:
Nightmare!

Really nice bloke that came to help! Really difficult feeling so helpless and silly at the same time!

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Stupid Mistake

Post by tomscott » Fri May 21, 2021 4:04 pm

srhutch wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:41 pm So the key was still in the ignition?
Ye the car sat there for 3 hours at idle 😂

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Stupid Mistake

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri May 21, 2021 4:07 pm

Zedebee wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:56 pm Jeez, I started reading that and saw the picture and thought it was going to end up with your car half way down the street on the end of a RangeRover (the school run near me is like the US President’s cavalcade). Glad all ended well and your car looks great btw.
Snap - was waiting for I was hit either by a yummy mummy to a twit on a bike - thank god it was just keys locked inside :thumbsup:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Stupid Mistake

Post by tomscott » Fri May 21, 2021 4:10 pm

Bottom wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:52 pm I can sympathise, something similar happened to me once.

A few years ago I was travelling over to Skye for a meeting from my base in Ft William. Normally I had to take the pool Corsa diesel but this day there were none available, so I was able to justify taking the Z4 :driving: It's a cracking road down to Mallaig.

It's about 50/50 time wise going by the ferry or driving round to the bridge, so I decided to take the ferry, it allows a wee break from driving and an ice cream (I'm basically a child, get over it!). Arrived sharp at Mallaig and the port crew knew who I was (I did the trip regularly) so let me get prime spot on the boat to get away before all the tourists. Got out the car and did the usual "lock lock lock" sequence on the key to activate the CH+ module and shut the roof. Except it didn't work. By this time I've got a load of tourists all squeezing past so I quickly lean in, bung the key in the ignition, give it a twist and then push the "up" button on the dash. Roof smoothly closes and I lift the door handle to get the key back and go get my ice cream...and the car is locked. :headbang:

I wanted to die on the spot, my car is blocking the exit off the boat, and there are about 200 tourists who will tear me limb from limb for messing up their holidays. My wife is home with the spare keys, just a 90 minute drive away.

I summoned the officer of the deck, told him what I'd done and was told "Don't worry, we've a couple of lads from Campbelltown down in the engine room, they'll be into your car before we get to Skye". Five minutes later, 2 guys appear on the car deck, one has a sort of sucker thing and the other has a bit of what looks like flexible curtain rod. The guy uses the sucker to pull the passenger window out a bit, the other uses the curtain rod to push the unlock button on the centre console and I"m back in the car :driving: I even had time for an ice cream.

Bought the guys a couple of cases of beer in the Co-op in Portree for their efforts.
Haha ah man that would have been a disaster! Thats made me feel a little better thank you!!

I fully expected the guy to use a little rod to press the door lock button but pulled out the key clicker device and was in in 5 seconds flat no wonder so many cars get nicked!

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Stupid Mistake

Post by tomscott » Fri May 21, 2021 4:11 pm

buzyg wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:44 pm :lol: thx for sharing your daft moment tom. :thumbsup:

Always a little paranoid about locking my keys in the car. I have made a habit of putting the key into the drivers door lock whenever I'm doing some thing like that, where I'm right next to the car. Filling up pay at pump I do it. Sitting in the boot changing my foot ware after a walk is what got be started doing it a few years back. Means I know exactly where it is. No more hunting through six pockets thinking have I just shut it in the boot, as I go to get back in the drivers seat. :)
Haha no problem! sounds like a sensible solution!