Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HSD Coilovers with soft springs

"M" Specific discussion
Bigpow

Post by Bigpow » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:52 pm

So, the H&R springs have broken on the rear and may have broken on the front. Both drivers side so I’m now on a diet.
Priced up new h&r and shocks all round and come to the conclusion that coil overs may be better vfm.
I’ve gone for soft loading springs and my aim is to set the ride height at the highest setting which should be 20mm off standard compared to 26mm with the H&R. Not using for track, but the roads in west Wales a horrible. Pot holes and sleeping police men...

So £690 for the coil overs and fitting with alignment should come to about a grand.

I will keep everyone informed as to how it all works out.

Any tips welcomed

Pow
Z4MR - Sapphire black.imola.carbon.19" csl's.

lucasxdiniz

Post by lucasxdiniz » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:25 pm

I have a lot of first hand experience with HSD coilovers. First of all, don't cheap out and get DualTech vs MonoPro for the sake of £100...

Make sure to ring DriftWorks and ask if they sorted out the design for the Z4. HSD is a fit all design, but doesn't quite fit the rear of the Z4 properly (due to the spring length) - you have to run with no spring perches to get the rear any lower than OEM - or they'll send you E36 springs for the rear which don't quite fit the perches provided with the kit. It's a mess really. I had to do my friend's rear 3 times until we got a reasonable fitment and ride, but still a bodge.

I installed BCs and HSDs almost back to back on different cars. BCs are superior built quality wise, and overall easier to install and not that much more expensive. They feel very similar as you'd expect with the same spring rates and both being monotube & adjustable .
Z4MC: Interlagos Blue | Individual Champagne
Z4C: Montego Blue | Individual Champagne | LSD
Z4 2.5i: Midnight Blue | Beige Interior

Bigpow

Post by Bigpow » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:10 pm

Cool, my plan is to keep it up in the air so hopefully the rears won’t be an issue 👍🏻

Bigpow

Post by Bigpow » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:52 am

So update....

We fitted the kit, run with E36 on the rear and over a long weekend of adjusting and trying to find the solution it was swapped back out to H&R with standard shocks. This has resulted in me having HSD coil overs on the front with H&R on the rear. The end result is night and day from what I had originally which was exceptionally crashy on the front but felt firm but fine on the rear.

Im getting a refund for the rears so I can then work out what the cost are as a total. I know that they are two manufacturers involved in my setup plus OEM but the end result is something that you can live with on poor roads that drives well and sounds feels and sounds spot on.

Pow