Z4m to M2! Good move??

"M" Specific discussion
///MBan

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by ///MBan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:58 am

A couple of months ago I was at the stage where I was about to embark on some relatively major modifications on my Z4M coupe but wanted to make sure that my car was a 'keeper' before the point of no return. My friend has a pre-LCI M2 which I really like (he has a young child and manages the baby seat thing okay, BTW) and the Comp with the S55 has been really attractive to me for a while. So, I took a manual M2C for an extended test drive. I have to say that while the car is seriously fast and capable, it just didn't quite stack up as a replacement for my Z4M (having one in addition to the Z4 is another matter...). The gear shift action is probably worse than the Z4 and turbo lag is really apparent in the manual car (my friend's DCT M2 feels to have less lag), and, of course, the noise the S55 makes is pretty agricultural. So, despite being offered a pretty good price by the dealer, I declined and then went for a long blast in my Z4 and loved every minute of it. There really is no direct substitute.

ga41

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by ga41 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:12 am

///MBan wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:58 am A couple of months ago I was at the stage where I was about to embark on some relatively major modifications on my Z4M coupe but wanted to make sure that my car was a 'keeper' before the point of no return. My friend has a pre-LCI M2 which I really like (he has a young child and manages the baby seat thing okay, BTW) and the Comp with the S55 has been really attractive to me for a while. So, I took a manual M2C for an extended test drive. I have to say that while the car is seriously fast and capable, it just didn't quite stack up as a replacement for my Z4M (having one in addition to the Z4 is another matter...). The gear shift action is probably worse than the Z4 and turbo lag is really apparent in the manual car (my friend's DCT M2 feels to have less lag), and, of course, the noise the S55 makes is pretty agricultural. So, despite being offered a pretty good price by the dealer, I declined and then went for a long blast in my Z4 and loved every minute of it. There really is no direct substitute.
This mostly echoes what I experienced with a DCT M4 Competition (F82) in comparison to my Z4MC. A friend let me had a quick B-road thrash in his a few weeks ago, while I thought it was extremely capable, much quicker than the Z4MC and very, very sharp handling it just didn't have the same sense of drama as my car.

Admittedly my car has nigh on obnoxiously loud exhausts (RPI) which sound AMAZING when you're on it which of course adds to the occasion when on a quick drive plus the S54's howl when upshifting at 8000 RPM or when executing a heel-toe downshift cannot be matched by the S55's, which does sound pretty good for a turbo'd motor, though I'm not sure if it pumps sound through the speakers..

The M4 had a very sharp and responsive front end, sharper than mine but mine had a bit better steering feel, it handles very, very well, is very quick and flexible, practical too and has huge potential when you start modding it.

I was driving it pretty hard, shifting at almost the redline, as it was on a twisty route I'm very familiar with but when I got out I didn't have that "I must have one!" feeling, I didn't feel shortchanged that I owned a Z4M and not an M4.. :idunno:

I'm sure though that much like the Z4M, both the M2 Competition and M4's are growers and owners will appreciate them better with experience as due to their substantial capabilities you need some time behind the wheel to get the best out of them.

I don't think there's a "correct" choice in the Z4M or M2 question. They do things a bit differently but they're both great to be honest.
-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --

LeeZ4MR
Lifer
Lifer

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by LeeZ4MR » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:57 am

ga41 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:12 am
///MBan wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:58 am A couple of months ago I was at the stage where I was about to embark on some relatively major modifications on my Z4M coupe but wanted to make sure that my car was a 'keeper' before the point of no return. My friend has a pre-LCI M2 which I really like (he has a young child and manages the baby seat thing okay, BTW) and the Comp with the S55 has been really attractive to me for a while. So, I took a manual M2C for an extended test drive. I have to say that while the car is seriously fast and capable, it just didn't quite stack up as a replacement for my Z4M (having one in addition to the Z4 is another matter...). The gear shift action is probably worse than the Z4 and turbo lag is really apparent in the manual car (my friend's DCT M2 feels to have less lag), and, of course, the noise the S55 makes is pretty agricultural. So, despite being offered a pretty good price by the dealer, I declined and then went for a long blast in my Z4 and loved every minute of it. There really is no direct substitute.
This mostly echoes what I experienced with a DCT M4 Competition (F82) in comparison to my Z4MC. A friend let me had a quick B-road thrash in his a few weeks ago, while I thought it was extremely capable, much quicker than the Z4MC and very, very sharp handling it just didn't have the same sense of drama as my car.

Admittedly my car has nigh on obnoxiously loud exhausts (RPI) which sound AMAZING when you're on it which of course adds to the occasion when on a quick drive plus the S54's howl when upshifting at 8000 RPM or when executing a heel-toe downshift cannot be matched by the S55's, which does sound pretty good for a turbo'd motor, though I'm not sure if it pumps sound through the speakers..

The M4 had a very sharp and responsive front end, sharper than mine but mine had a bit better steering feel, it handles very, very well, is very quick and flexible, practical too and has huge potential when you start modding it.

I was driving it pretty hard, shifting at almost the redline, as it was on a twisty route I'm very familiar with but when I got out I didn't have that "I must have one!" feeling, I didn't feel shortchanged that I owned a Z4M and not an M4.. :idunno:

I'm sure though that much like the Z4M, both the M2 Competition and M4's are growers and owners will appreciate them better with experience as due to their substantial capabilities you need some time behind the wheel to get the best out of them.

I don't think there's a "correct" choice in the Z4M or M2 question. They do things a bit differently but they're both great to be honest.
I love having my 370Z Roadster(manual)(upgraded exhaust/intakes etc) and my F82 M4(DCT) because they are like chalk and cheese. The 370 feels old fashioned and slow, but it has a lot of character. Whereas the M4 feels really fast and it is much more refined/modern feeling. It is a bit like analogue versus digital if you like.

As a one car solution the M2 and M4 are a very good compromise I reckon, but if it is feasible I always think that you are better off having more than one car though.
Current...BMW F82 M4 Coupe 2018
370Z Roadster 2011
Merc GLC350d 2017

Previous.. Audi TTS 2012
640d 2012
330i 2006
Z4MR 2006
E92 M3 2009
X5 4.8iS 2004
TVR Cerbera 4.5

Franzino

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by Franzino » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:39 pm

I owned a Z4M + M2 for two years. In the end the Z4M did not get much use anymore and I sold the car end 2018 (I had 3x BMW's in my garage a that time). Honestly; the Z4M was a utterly amazing car, but I did not mis it that much like I thought I would. After selling the Z4M in 2018, my intention was to get a used 981 GT4 in 2019 (as a second car). But instead I invested this GT4 money in something else then cars. At the end of 2019 the A110 of my girlfriend joined our garage. The Z4M was my weekend/fun car and the occasional daily of my girlfriend (she does not drive everyday). When I sold the Z4M, she ordered a Alpine A110 for herself. I must say; I'm rather happy with our current garage. The M2 is a manual n55 with Öhlins R&T suspension (+ bespoke alignment) + steel brake lines + extra brake cooling scoops (from a GT3) + Pagid RS-29 (when I drive on track). The Alpine A110 has Life110 springs (+ bespoke alignment) + steel brake lines + A110S tyres + Endless MX-72 brake pads.

My M2 vs Z4M review: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=102188