Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4m to M2! Good move??

"M" Specific discussion
///MBan

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by ///MBan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:58 am

A couple of months ago I was at the stage where I was about to embark on some relatively major modifications on my Z4M coupe but wanted to make sure that my car was a 'keeper' before the point of no return. My friend has a pre-LCI M2 which I really like (he has a young child and manages the baby seat thing okay, BTW) and the Comp with the S55 has been really attractive to me for a while. So, I took a manual M2C for an extended test drive. I have to say that while the car is seriously fast and capable, it just didn't quite stack up as a replacement for my Z4M (having one in addition to the Z4 is another matter...). The gear shift action is probably worse than the Z4 and turbo lag is really apparent in the manual car (my friend's DCT M2 feels to have less lag), and, of course, the noise the S55 makes is pretty agricultural. So, despite being offered a pretty good price by the dealer, I declined and then went for a long blast in my Z4 and loved every minute of it. There really is no direct substitute.

ga41

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by ga41 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:12 am

///MBan wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:58 am A couple of months ago I was at the stage where I was about to embark on some relatively major modifications on my Z4M coupe but wanted to make sure that my car was a 'keeper' before the point of no return. My friend has a pre-LCI M2 which I really like (he has a young child and manages the baby seat thing okay, BTW) and the Comp with the S55 has been really attractive to me for a while. So, I took a manual M2C for an extended test drive. I have to say that while the car is seriously fast and capable, it just didn't quite stack up as a replacement for my Z4M (having one in addition to the Z4 is another matter...). The gear shift action is probably worse than the Z4 and turbo lag is really apparent in the manual car (my friend's DCT M2 feels to have less lag), and, of course, the noise the S55 makes is pretty agricultural. So, despite being offered a pretty good price by the dealer, I declined and then went for a long blast in my Z4 and loved every minute of it. There really is no direct substitute.
This mostly echoes what I experienced with a DCT M4 Competition (F82) in comparison to my Z4MC. A friend let me had a quick B-road thrash in his a few weeks ago, while I thought it was extremely capable, much quicker than the Z4MC and very, very sharp handling it just didn't have the same sense of drama as my car.

Admittedly my car has nigh on obnoxiously loud exhausts (RPI) which sound AMAZING when you're on it which of course adds to the occasion when on a quick drive plus the S54's howl when upshifting at 8000 RPM or when executing a heel-toe downshift cannot be matched by the S55's, which does sound pretty good for a turbo'd motor, though I'm not sure if it pumps sound through the speakers..

The M4 had a very sharp and responsive front end, sharper than mine but mine had a bit better steering feel, it handles very, very well, is very quick and flexible, practical too and has huge potential when you start modding it.

I was driving it pretty hard, shifting at almost the redline, as it was on a twisty route I'm very familiar with but when I got out I didn't have that "I must have one!" feeling, I didn't feel shortchanged that I owned a Z4M and not an M4.. :idunno:

I'm sure though that much like the Z4M, both the M2 Competition and M4's are growers and owners will appreciate them better with experience as due to their substantial capabilities you need some time behind the wheel to get the best out of them.

I don't think there's a "correct" choice in the Z4M or M2 question. They do things a bit differently but they're both great to be honest.
-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --

LeeZ4MR
Lifer
Lifer

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by LeeZ4MR » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:57 am

ga41 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:12 am
///MBan wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:58 am A couple of months ago I was at the stage where I was about to embark on some relatively major modifications on my Z4M coupe but wanted to make sure that my car was a 'keeper' before the point of no return. My friend has a pre-LCI M2 which I really like (he has a young child and manages the baby seat thing okay, BTW) and the Comp with the S55 has been really attractive to me for a while. So, I took a manual M2C for an extended test drive. I have to say that while the car is seriously fast and capable, it just didn't quite stack up as a replacement for my Z4M (having one in addition to the Z4 is another matter...). The gear shift action is probably worse than the Z4 and turbo lag is really apparent in the manual car (my friend's DCT M2 feels to have less lag), and, of course, the noise the S55 makes is pretty agricultural. So, despite being offered a pretty good price by the dealer, I declined and then went for a long blast in my Z4 and loved every minute of it. There really is no direct substitute.
This mostly echoes what I experienced with a DCT M4 Competition (F82) in comparison to my Z4MC. A friend let me had a quick B-road thrash in his a few weeks ago, while I thought it was extremely capable, much quicker than the Z4MC and very, very sharp handling it just didn't have the same sense of drama as my car.

Admittedly my car has nigh on obnoxiously loud exhausts (RPI) which sound AMAZING when you're on it which of course adds to the occasion when on a quick drive plus the S54's howl when upshifting at 8000 RPM or when executing a heel-toe downshift cannot be matched by the S55's, which does sound pretty good for a turbo'd motor, though I'm not sure if it pumps sound through the speakers..

The M4 had a very sharp and responsive front end, sharper than mine but mine had a bit better steering feel, it handles very, very well, is very quick and flexible, practical too and has huge potential when you start modding it.

I was driving it pretty hard, shifting at almost the redline, as it was on a twisty route I'm very familiar with but when I got out I didn't have that "I must have one!" feeling, I didn't feel shortchanged that I owned a Z4M and not an M4.. :idunno:

I'm sure though that much like the Z4M, both the M2 Competition and M4's are growers and owners will appreciate them better with experience as due to their substantial capabilities you need some time behind the wheel to get the best out of them.

I don't think there's a "correct" choice in the Z4M or M2 question. They do things a bit differently but they're both great to be honest.
I love having my 370Z Roadster(manual)(upgraded exhaust/intakes etc) and my F82 M4(DCT) because they are like chalk and cheese. The 370 feels old fashioned and slow, but it has a lot of character. Whereas the M4 feels really fast and it is much more refined/modern feeling. It is a bit like analogue versus digital if you like.

As a one car solution the M2 and M4 are a very good compromise I reckon, but if it is feasible I always think that you are better off having more than one car though.
Current...BMW F82 M4 Coupe 2018
370Z Roadster 2011
Merc GLE400d 2022
Caterham 7 2002

Previous...
640d 2012
330i 2006
Z4MR 2006
E92 M3 2009
X5 4.8iS 2004
TVR Cerbera 4.5

Franzino

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by Franzino » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:39 pm

I owned a Z4M + M2 for two years. In the end the Z4M did not get much use anymore and I sold the car end 2018 (I had 3x BMW's in my garage a that time). Honestly; the Z4M was a utterly amazing car, but I did not mis it that much like I thought I would. After selling the Z4M in 2018, my intention was to get a used 981 GT4 in 2019 (as a second car). But instead I invested this GT4 money in something else then cars. At the end of 2019 the A110 of my girlfriend joined our garage. The Z4M was my weekend/fun car and the occasional daily of my girlfriend (she does not drive everyday). When I sold the Z4M, she ordered a Alpine A110 for herself. I must say; I'm rather happy with our current garage. The M2 is a manual n55 with Öhlins R&T suspension (+ bespoke alignment) + steel brake lines + extra brake cooling scoops (from a GT3) + Pagid RS-29 (when I drive on track). The Alpine A110 has Life110 springs (+ bespoke alignment) + steel brake lines + A110S tyres + Endless MX-72 brake pads.

My M2 vs Z4M review: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=102188

Nickbmw08

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by Nickbmw08 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:32 pm

Now I’ve taken a deposit on my Z4m I’m considering what’s next! Still a big fan of the M2, prefer the look of the competition but heard mixed reviews, doesn’t sound as good etc, some people saying the standard M2 is better. KevinC what’s it like? Has anyone else on here driven/own a M2c?

1M is also on my radar similar money and probably won’t lose any money, where’s the M2 will?
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue

ga41

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by ga41 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:12 pm

The non-Competition M2 better than the Competition? That's the first time i read that to be honest. Not an M2 expert but just from the specs i'd think it's M2 Competition 100%. It's got the M4's S55 engine for one thing whereas the standard M2 just the regular N55 lump. I don't know mate but if similarly priced i'd always go for the Competition. :idunno:
-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --

LeeZ4MR
Lifer
Lifer

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by LeeZ4MR » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:42 pm

I think the general consensus is that the N55 sounds better than the S55. I'd be happy with either the M2 or the M2 Comp though to be fair.
Current...BMW F82 M4 Coupe 2018
370Z Roadster 2011
Merc GLE400d 2022
Caterham 7 2002

Previous...
640d 2012
330i 2006
Z4MR 2006
E92 M3 2009
X5 4.8iS 2004
TVR Cerbera 4.5

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:31 am

Unless four seats and a boot are priorities, my money would go on a V6 Exige. If the choice is M2 or M2C, everything I’ve read suggests the latter is the better car.

Edited to add - OP I’d forgotten why you started this thread (impending baby seats and nappies)! The good news is that once you change to a forward-facing baby seat, a coupe becomes a much easier proposition.
Last edited by BMWZ4MC on Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

1536Z4

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by 1536Z4 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:06 am

Nickbmw08 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:38 am I use a van for work during the week
Should have kept the Z4M and used the van for the family trips as you will need the space for the amount of stuff you need to take for the baby :rofl: All the best :thumbsup:
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

RedUn

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by RedUn » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:17 am

Nickbmw08 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:38 am Has anyone on here either gone from a Z4m to M2 or owns both? Are there many comparisons

My Z4m is my weekend car as I use a van for work during the week. Don’t use it a great deal and now
my wife is currently 3 days over due with our first child so will be used less and less now :(. So I considering selling the Z4 and buying the M2 more practical yet still fun car?

Nick
Depends if you still need it as a main car or a 2nd or 3rd car.

The zed will hold its cash, an M2 won't.

Lastly, I used to have a m240 as my practical car, now I've had a child I can categorically tell you, putting a baby in the back is not that bad but trying to get a sleeping baby out the back without waking it would be bloody impossible!

Buy an M3 :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR

Franzino

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by Franzino » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:20 pm

RedUn wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:17 am
Nickbmw08 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:38 am Has anyone on here either gone from a Z4m to M2 or owns both? Are there many comparisons

My Z4m is my weekend car as I use a van for work during the week. Don’t use it a great deal and now
my wife is currently 3 days over due with our first child so will be used less and less now :(. So I considering selling the Z4 and buying the M2 more practical yet still fun car?

Nick
True; but only an issue when you sell the car (not everybody sells their cars fast). If you have a Z that you don't drive a lot it's just money standing still and will indeed hold its cash. When I sold my Z4M it was because (after getting the M2) I rarely used the Z anymore and I could use that cash for other investments. True; I lost little money on the Z when I sold it and if I would sell my M2 I will lose more...but I use the M2 way more, so the car itself and the money spend on it has way more purpose. I went from 2 cars; 325i Touring (daily) + Z4M (fun & track) to 1 car being the M2 (daily / fun / track). So in the end the M2 even saved me money and I now have fun everyday :oops:

By the way; I have zero plans to ever sell my manual N55 M2 (I love it that much and use it so much), so honestly could not care about future resale value :wink:
Last edited by Franzino on Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Franzino

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by Franzino » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:31 pm

ga41 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:12 pm The non-Competition M2 better than the Competition? That's the first time i read that to be honest. Not an M2 expert but just from the specs i'd think it's M2 Competition 100%. It's got the M4's S55 engine for one thing whereas the standard M2 just the regular N55 lump. I don't know mate but if similarly priced i'd always go for the Competition. :idunno:
N55 M2 sounds way better, is 50kg lighter and (for me) looks a little more oldschool BMW (dashboard and front). The reason the S55 M2 Comp steers a little sharper is because of the reinforcement plates (carbon strut brace) fitted in the engine compartment (like the M3/M4). The suspension itself is the same, so you get the same bouncy feeling at the back when driving fast on bad roads. Recently I fitted a Öhlins road & track suspension and this is really awesome addition on my M2. Love it!

The N55 engine in the M2 is a modified version of the regular N55 => https://www.bmwblog.com/2016/07/28/bmw- ... better-m2/
I never heard about people having issues with their N55 M2 engine and I know a lot of people who track their N55 M2. But there is the crank hub problem with the S55 engine (in the M2 Comp, M2 CS, M3, M4) and a costly fix. I know a lot of people who had this issue and for me I don't want that extra concern. For tuners and people who look for more power; the S55 M2 Comp engine is way more tuneable with bigger power gains. But power is not everything...here I chase the new M2 CS with my standard (manual) N55 M2 ;)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDHHS3oJFla ... _copy_link

RedUn

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by RedUn » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:00 pm

Franzino wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:20 pm
RedUn wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:17 am

Nick
True; but only an issue when you sell the car (not everybody sells their cars fast). If you have a Z that you don't drive a lot it's just money standing still and will indeed hold its cash. When I sold my Z4M it was because (after getting the M2) I rarely used the Z anymore and I could use that cash for other investments. True; I lost little money on the Z when I sold it and if I would sell my M2 I will lose more...but I use the M2 way more, so the car itself and the money spend on it has way more purpose. I went from 2 cars; 325i Touring (daily) + Z4M (fun & track) to 1 car being the M2 (daily / fun / track). So in the end the M2 even saved me money and I now have fun everyday :oops:

By the way; I have zero plans to ever sell my manual N55 M2 (I love it that much and use it so much), so honestly could not care about future resale value :wink:
Fully agreed Franzino :thumbsup:

Just pointing out if he bought an M2 thinking it was practical for a baby, then realises its not and had to sell it'll cost a small fortune over here, dealers go for the kill with people in circumstances like that :(
IMOLA Z4///MR

Franzino

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by Franzino » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:53 pm

RedUn wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:00 pm Just pointing out if he bought an M2 thinking it was practical for a baby, then realises its not and had to sell it'll cost a small fortune over here, dealers go for the kill with people in circumstances like that :(
Fair point! I know people with a baby on their way and kept their M2 as a daily. It is perfect to do with the M2, but like with every coupé it will ofcourse not be the most handy car to use. It could be a real hassle. I don't have kids or a dog, so a coupé is perfect for my use and the M2 rear seats can still fit two people if necessary. If it was me and I had a baby...then I would probably try to keep my M2 and if this did not work as I wanted, then I would get a Alfa Giulia QV :)

iiNNeX

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by iiNNeX » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:53 pm

Had an M2 before my Z4, it is perfectly fine for a daily and I don't see having a baby change that. Yes it will be a little more work compared to a 4 door saloon car but it looks prettier in it's coupe form :thumbsup:

If I wasn't saving for a new property I would have kept it, best M car I've owned. The new M3/M4 are just too fat and heavy and also only come in boring auto transmissions.
'07 E85 Z4 2.5Si Sport Individual - Manual - Build Journal - Now gone
Ruby Black / Champagne Extended Nappa