Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4m to M2! Good move??

"M" Specific discussion
mgrlane

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by mgrlane » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:21 pm

Franzino wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:53 pm Fair point! I know people with a baby on their way and kept their M2 as a daily. It is perfect to do with the M2, but like with every coupé it will ofcourse not be the most handy car to use. It could be a real hassle. I don't have kids or a dog, so a coupé is perfect for my use and the M2 rear seats can still fit two people if necessary. If it was me and I had a baby...then I would probably try to keep my M2 and if this did not work as I wanted, then I would get a Alfa Giulia QV
I spent most of my youth and teenage years getting into the back of various ford capri's. A M2 would be ok surely?

RedUn

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by RedUn » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:52 pm

mgrlane wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:21 pm
Franzino wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:53 pm Fair point! I know people with a baby on their way and kept their M2 as a daily. It is perfect to do with the M2, but like with every coupé it will ofcourse not be the most handy car to use. It could be a real hassle. I don't have kids or a dog, so a coupé is perfect for my use and the M2 rear seats can still fit two people if necessary. If it was me and I had a baby...then I would probably try to keep my M2 and if this did not work as I wanted, then I would get a Alfa Giulia QV
I spent most of my youth and teenage years getting into the back of various ford capri's. A M2 would be ok surely?
Fine for kids and adults etc. Try a modern rearward facing baby seat out :?

They are that big we got rid of the F20 as the passenger seat was pretty much all the way forward by the time the baby seat was in, absolute ball ache.

It's do able don't get me wrong but you'd have to get in the rear of the drivers side, to reach over and get said baby in or out.

Try it in the rain whilst the pram is getting piss wet through and your hormonal Mrs is giving you grief for having a daft car all whilst trying not to wake the baby :cry:

Once they get slightly older and the seats become more normal again its easily doable it's just the 2-3 years of pain.

Bad memories

I'll leave now :fuelfire: :rofl:
Last edited by RedUn on Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMOLA Z4///MR

mgrlane

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by mgrlane » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:05 pm

RedUn wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:52 pm Fine for kids and adults etc. Try a modern rearward facing baby seat out

They are that big we got rid of the F20 as the passenger seat was pretty much all the way forward by the time the baby seat was in, absolute ball ache.

It's do able don't get me wrong but you'd have to get in the rear of the drivers side, to reach over and get said baby in or out.

Trt it in the rain whilst the pram is getting piss wet through and your hormonal Mrs is giving you grief for having a daft car all whilst trying not to wake the baby

Once they get slightly older and the seats become more normal again its easily doable it's just the 2-3 years of pain.

Bad memories

I'll leave now
When you put it that way I completely understand! (can you see I don't have kids).

It always amazes me the amount of stuff that comes along with them- it's almost like you need a support truck just for that.

Rossm09

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by Rossm09 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:13 pm

I must say I have experience of this my daily is a company car and currently I’m lucky enough to be in a s5 coupe, I literally got the baby seat into the back with mm to play with so that is a something also to address as I expect the M2 being a smaller car will have even less room. I as mentioned above too have to make a rather awkward clamber into the back with child in hands to then try and get into the car seat while confined to a awkward hunched/ducked down position. Now I’m taking the hit as I rarely get S products as company car and going at a normal pace in good weather is fine but it is a absolute pig to get her in especially now she’s getting bigger (accidentally bopped her head a few times getting her in and out) and when it’s raining and there’s minimal space to open your door if in a tight car parking spaces you will regret it!!

shuey

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by shuey » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:08 pm

I’m in a similar boat at mo.
Coming from Z4 coupe which I absolutely love. Trying to decide between the Z4mc and m2 OG. I’ll be test driving both soon, but I’m not sure that’s going to help, as I like both for different reasons. Would be my daily, so would prefer to have 2 spare seats for my nephews etc… but by no means essential.

But the Z4mc seems to be way more special from whatever says who have experienced both, which I think I’d agree on. But then I want to long ass European road trips… and think maybe the M2 is a better GT car if of the two, as well being the better daily.

First world problems.
M2 OG / Manual / Grey

Previous
Z4C Si Sport / Manual / Alpine White
350Z VQ35DE / Manual / Silver
Seat Leon Cupra MKII / Manual / Silver
Ford Puma 1.7
Rover 214 Si (I know!)

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by BMWZ4MC » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:00 am

It helps if you have a capsule instead of a fixed rear-facing seat. That way you can strap the baby into the capsule in the house, carry them to the car and then wrestle the capsule into the rear seat without risking a head injury for you or the baby!
My wife’s E class coupe has pillarless doors, so dropping the rear window makes it easier to support a capsule with two hands whilst locking it into the seat base, as well as giving easy access to attach the top tether. However, it was still much more awkward than using the capsule in our F Pace.
Our capsule is rated up to 12 months but we’ve recently transitioned to a one piece baby seat at 9 months because our baby is very tall. The seat is huge - whilst it fits in a SUV and is easy to use as a forward facing seat, it would be a nightmare in a two door car in rear facing mode.
We have a smaller forward-facing seat for my wife’s car and access is fairly easy, but even that necessitates moving the passenger seat forward almost to the extent of its travel.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

DevonPaul

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by DevonPaul » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:09 pm

You are looking at this from completely the wrong direction.

You want a small fun car, you have a small fun car.

You need a load lugger to fit all the baby carp in and take family to places. You have a van.

You can get 2 adults and a rear facing baby seat in the front of a Transit. The second row of seat in the crew cab has Isofix.

hth

Paul
2006 Imola Z4MC (wife's shopping trolley)
1990 Toyota Carina (Started as a free family heirloom, now apparently a Classic)
2016 Toyota Avensis 1.6D (yup, the *really* slow one).
2011 TDM900
1997 VFR750 project. 95% complete. Only 30% left to do.

Nickbmw08

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by Nickbmw08 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:01 am

Test drove the M2c was good but the Z4m is such a better car to drive and sounds much nicer.

Time to scratch that itch and get the Coupe i always wanted and they of course look stunning.
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue

Franzino

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by Franzino » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:20 am

Nickbmw08 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:01 am Test drove the M2c was good but the Z4m is such a better car to drive and sounds much nicer.

Time to scratch that itch and get the Coupe i always wanted and they of course look stunning.
Sound wise the M2Comp sounds crap....but the N55 M2 sounds nice (for a turbo engine of course). The Z4M will always sound better...100% true. Driving wise; I drove +100.000km in Z4M (coupe & roadster) and +100.000km in a N55 M2 (manual). They are certainly different, but I can not say the Z4M is a better, more capable or more enjoyable car. Both have their strengths and weakness.

When having one car only; then M2...when having a normal (daily) car and a special car aside, get the Z4M. Or maybe the best things is as my buddy did; a M2 as a daily and a Z4M coupe for track and weekend fun :rofl:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Z4m to M2! Good move??

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:19 pm

Nickbmw08 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:01 am Test drove the M2c was good but the Z4m is such a better car to drive and sounds much nicer.

That sounds like a great plan - although I may be biased!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black