Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Z4MC and R8 V10

"M" Specific discussion
Muckinonthesofa

My Z4MC and R8 V10

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:43 am

True-Blue wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:09 am This is a really interesting subject, just how fast is ‘fast enough’.... in the real world.

When I was 17 I owned a fiesta 1300 Supersport, and I loved it. I then moved on to a Strada Abarth 130TC, with twin 45’s high lift cams etc, and I loved that even more - it was a beast at the time. Followed by an X19 with a 2ltr twin cam engine transplant, and a widebody conversion, the boot wasn’t very useable as it was modified so the carbs would fit :evil:

By today’s standards none of these would be considered fast, but they were all amazing fun.... how I wish I’d moth-balled the Strada, I’d love to take that out today.

In this period, my dream car was the Lamborghini Countach... a lot of us on this forum now drive ‘everyday’ cars that could get us across country in more safety, with more speed and with greater comfort and economy than a Countach could.

My E89 has a conservative map (previous owners choice) that takes power up to 28i levels, and I’ve been thinking about taking it for a live rolling-road remap to liberate an extra 30bhp and some more torque... I don’t really know why though, because it’s already 5.something 0-60, and 0-100 isn’t shabby either! Something is telling me ‘I want more’ but I really don’t need more :rofl:

I’ve not driven a Tesla, but I can only imagine ‘ludicrous mode’ is fun the first few times, but then what?... I bet it’s completely soulless experience, a bit like my daily driver Prius (not comparing the two here!). In terms of ‘fit for purpose’ the Prius is amazing, but it has no soul at all... Zero, it’s like a washing machine... it does the job, but zero excitement :cry:
I am addicted to speed, I've always wanted more but to answer your question, in reality I now realise that something like the Z4M is enough for the road.

This may sound like I don't like the r8 but I love it, it is my dream car. It does make me wonder about these 800bhp+ GTRs, 1000bhp+ R8 turbo etc and how anyone could get close to using them on the road!?

I know what you mean about what was fast years ago, when I was a teenager 150bhp was dreamland! :rofl: My AX GT, Clio Williams, Corrado Vr6, Rx7, E39 M5 all fast to me in their day. Most tepid hatches are quicker than even the M5 nowadays :o
Z4MC, Silver/Grey, Imola Red Leather, Sat Nav, Heated Seats, DSP, Intravee, Stubby, ZHP, Gruppe M, CDV, Bilstein B12's, Vibra-Technics engine mounts.

M1k3yC

My Z4MC and R8 V10

Post by M1k3yC » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:53 pm

True-Blue wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:09 am This is a really interesting subject, just how fast is ‘fast enough’.... in the real world.
I think it depends a lot on the road and where you live. I know lots of roads where taking the corners closer to the limits of the vehicle I'm in would be really irresponsible because the visibility isn't there. If something unexpected were around the next bend (stopped car, horse, cyclist etc.) then there would be issues.

I recently took my M135i and my MX-5 down the same twisty back round within days of each other and realised that the BMW is, in my opinion, too quick for that road. For me to enjoy the BMW I would gather too much speed to safely tackle the bends whereas with the MX-5 being slower and providing a more connected experience I could drive it relatively harder, more smoothly, and likely more safely whilst having at least as much fun.

I envy those of you living in more remote places with the elevations that give you a view of several bends ahead. Roll on end of lockdown... :driving:
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

M1k3yC

My Z4MC and R8 V10

Post by M1k3yC » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:58 pm

Muckinonthesofa wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:43 am It does make me wonder about these 800bhp+ GTRs, 1000bhp+ R8 turbo etc and how anyone could get close to using them on the road!?
Congratulations on the dream garage, by the way.

I think the massive horsepower boosting of the cars you mention as well as some of the RS Audis is "look at the size of my knob" in petrolhead. Not always, but there's got to be quite a lot of "mine's bigger than yours" going on there. Just look at the "highest horsepower <whatever> in the UK" YouTube videos that pop up.
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

Muckinonthesofa

My Z4MC and R8 V10

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:06 pm

M1k3yC wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:53 pm
I think it depends a lot on the road and where you live. I know lots of roads where taking the corners closer to the limits of the vehicle I'm in would be really irresponsible because the visibility isn't there. If something unexpected were around the next bend (stopped car, horse, cyclist etc.) then there would be issues.

I recently took my M135i and my MX-5 down the same twisty back round within days of each other and realised that the BMW is, in my opinion, too quick for that road. For me to enjoy the BMW I would gather too much speed to safely tackle the bends whereas with the MX-5 being slower and providing a more connected experience I could drive it relatively harder, more smoothly, and likely more safely whilst having at least as much fun.

I envy those of you living in more remote places with the elevations that give you a view of several bends ahead. Roll on end of lockdown... :driving:
M135i's are real weapons, good cars  . Good point on the Mx5, definitely a modern car that falls into the real world sweet spot for a road car.
Z4MC, Silver/Grey, Imola Red Leather, Sat Nav, Heated Seats, DSP, Intravee, Stubby, ZHP, Gruppe M, CDV, Bilstein B12's, Vibra-Technics engine mounts.

Boltz

My Z4MC and R8 V10

Post by Boltz » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:15 pm

True-Blue wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:09 am My E89 has a conservative map (previous owners choice) that takes power up to 28i levels, and I’ve been thinking about taking it for a live rolling-road remap to liberate an extra 30bhp and some more torque... I don’t really know why though, because it’s already 5.something 0-60, and 0-100 isn’t shabby either! Something is telling me ‘I want more’ but I really don’t need more
Get the rolling road done and get extra Bhp and torque, I was running 28i but the rolling road and tune now for 282bhp and 453nm is superb 👍
VW Golf GTI Edition 35

Previous E89 18i manual Msport LCI, remapped, 282 bhp 453nm torque, Supersprint exhaust, decatted, stubby, BMW Performance Big Brake Kit, Msport rear valance and diffuser, Inovit 19inch Vector alloys, Msport black grilles.

Bigpow

My Z4MC and R8 V10

Post by Bigpow » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:46 pm

Just to add to this...

I’ve just owned a Ferrari California for a small period of time. The one they call the wife’s Ferrari (0-60 in 3.7).
It’s another level I’n many ways but in total agreement to the V10 R8 comparison. The z4 is perfect for U.K. roads, the only let down being the suspension .
The Cal didn’t show mpg lol, but the suspension, f1 gearbox and sound made every drive an event.
And that’s what you want, it’s not speed or tech but to be able to enjoy a cracking sounding engine without doing over a ton..
Z4MR - Sapphire black.imola.carbon.19" csl's.