Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Z4MC and R8 V10

"M" Specific discussion
Muckinonthesofa

My Z4MC and R8 V10

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:07 am

Last summer I realised my dream of owning a supercar, well, I class it as a supercar, an R8 V10. I think another Z4M owner on here did the same a few years back.

The R8 is mental, I love it and in every respect another performance level to my Z4MC. It has a Larini valved exhaust which sounds like an F1 car to my ears, I think the 0-100mph is about 7.5 seconds :D , handling and balance spot in, grip is incredible. DCT gearbox is so fast that it doesn't seem to break momentum at all.

But, it's too fast and capable for the road. I've been back in my Z4MC for a few weeks now and it is more suited to road driving, I cannot believe how much I still love driving the Z4MC, what a car! The angry sounding Gruppe M S54, the steering feel (better than the R8), it just feels so nice :wub: . Even after the R8, I'm surprised at how quick it still feels as well, plenty fast enough (I've never understood some internet talk of them feeling slow by today's standards!) and about right for public roads.

Don't get me wrong, I'm keeping the R8 as, at the end of the day, it's a mid-engined V10, but I really do appreciate the Z4MC more now than before!

Not really a useful post, but all you Z4M owners cherish what amazing cars these are, and a dying breed!
Z4MC, Silver/Grey, Imola Red Leather, Sat Nav, Heated Seats, DSP, Intravee, Stubby, ZHP, Gruppe M, CDV, Bilstein B12's, Vibra-Technics engine mounts.

brillomaster

My Z4MC and R8 V10

Post by brillomaster » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:58 am

good post! as much as i would love an R8 V10, the opportunities to deploy the full 500bhp plus would be fleeting at best.

It does seem that the more power a car has, the less you can use it on the road. Even on a track 500bhp would need to be treated with care.

personally, about 300bhp, or to be more precise, about 200bhp/tonne is about the sweet spot for a road car. i've had faster cars (remapped 335i, remapped 300ZX) and both of those the opportunity to deploy the full beans for any length of time are fleeting. I've now settled on about 300bhp and 1500kgs as the perfect combo for your average british b road. :driving:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

My Z4MC and R8 V10

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:19 pm

Interesting post :thumbsup:

While having a spare half hour I was looking at next level cars and having a general nosey at stuff on the wish list and possibilities for the future and the R8 was pretty well up there as one of my first choices.

I remembered posts on here and watching some you tube videos etc, and without driving, came to a similar sort of conclusion that it’s maybe too accomplished, too much of a “supercar” for rural Argyll roads, which is where it would spend most of its life. It would be an absolute blast but would it be used to its full potential, absolutely not. The 35iS gets driven spiritedly when it’s out but do I feel there’s the ability to use the difference between it and the R8, again, I think not so would probably be a waste of a great car sitting on my drive.

Excellent that you’re in the fortunate position to experience both :driving:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

mgrlane

My Z4MC and R8 V10

Post by mgrlane » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:46 pm

Interesting post Muck.

I have recently added a few more cylinders and a bit more practicality (c63). I moved on from an SI coupe rather than an M but share the same love.

Both Cars are parked outside but I love them equally. I could stare at the Z for days as it's so beautiful but the excitement of 530ish (tune and secondary cats) and the noise of the Merc is a thrill.

I have thought a lot about how much fun the Merc engine would be in the coupe but figure it might just be to much. I think you might be in the sweet spot with the MC in terms of NA power and beauty.

I have had my car for 4 weeks and haven't got to the confidence point of ragging it about yet- I am driving corners well within my means but using it as a right "point straight and squirt" merchant. Maybe this will change when I get some more confidence and summer comes around.

I get what you say about the real world. The Z makes you work with each other as a team to accomplish the journey. The c63 is more like strapping a a saddle on a bull and hanging on for dear life (unless you have everything in comfort). 1st gear in the c63 is a write off unless in the dry and circa 25% pressure and by the time you hit 7k in 3rd you are in you are at just under 100.

The sound of your v10 mate tho- I am sure it will never get old!

mr.tourette
    Lifer
    Lifer

My Z4MC and R8 V10

Post by mr.tourette » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:55 pm

The r8 is a lovely beast, only car I've ever driven that feels as fast as a motorbike :thumbsup:
    if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Attilio

My Z4MC and R8 V10

Post by Attilio » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:04 pm

Thanks for the post: you made me feel like running to the garage where I keep my Z4MC and jump in for a spin... if only were possible! (we're in strict lockdown). What you said makes so much sense: I am in Ireland and the Z4M feels plenty fast when driving on the roads here.

You're very lucky to have those beautiful cars! Enjoy every moment :driving: them!

Thanks again for sharing your experience
    Attilio
    Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock
    2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid 2.0L - new daily drive

buzyg
    Legend
    Legend

My Z4MC and R8 V10

Post by buzyg » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:28 pm

It's a great post. :thumbsup:

I realised, after I'd had my MR for a few years, that I would never need or want a faster road car. It's just about at the limit of what my poor old grey cells can handle. Meaning I can just about drive it like I stole it, on the right day. Any faster and the car would be too much for me. Either it would have to do some of the driving for me, Nissan GTR, Porkers are getting like that now too. Or I would never drive it to it's full potential. That's a big chunk of why it's still in my garage 10 years on. :D :driving: :thumbsup:

wrt How fast it feels. Jumping from a faster NA engine into a Z4M it's going to have the same sort of feel. Just a bit less. Folk are fooled by torque these days. So a 530d feels faster and probably is, when you plant your foot in 6th on the duel carriage way. That's not what fast fun is about to me though, that's just torque. Fast fun is working the engine and using your whole body to control the car. Not simply planting your right foot a letting the car demolish the one next to it. I appreciate that a lot of people enjoy that. Not this hombre though, soon gets boring.

PS:- The few run ins I have had with V8 R8's over the years. The MR can handle them, only a fraction slower. I met a V10 R8 only once. My poor MR didn't see which way it went. Almost like a different car in terms of grunt and oh the noise. 8) :thumbsup:

Muckinonthesofa

My Z4MC and R8 V10

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:37 pm

Thanks for the replies, I agree with you all! 200bhp/tonne is about the all you need in road car, problem is, sense goes out the window when it comes to me and cars. :D

When the Z4MC goes I'll be very sad, with only the V10 to console me :rofl:
    Z4MC, Silver/Grey, Imola Red Leather, Sat Nav, Heated Seats, DSP, Intravee, Stubby, ZHP, Gruppe M, CDV, Bilstein B12's, Vibra-Technics engine mounts.

mgrlane

My Z4MC and R8 V10

Post by mgrlane » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:37 pm

I have been looking at what car I would get that's within 5bhp of 200bhp per ton.

https://www.autosnout.com/Cars-Bhp-Per-Ton-List.php

Probably has to be a Maserati Quattroporte the car for every occasion.

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

My Z4MC and R8 V10

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:08 pm

That's an interesting comparison OP, not least because the guy I bought my MC from had an Audi R8 in his garage!

I've only had my MC just over a year and given how that year turend out haven't used it as much as I intended, so I still haven't got used to the performance - I certainly don't feel the need for any more (yet)!
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black

Muckinonthesofa

My Z4MC and R8 V10

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:20 pm

mgrlane wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:37 pm I have been looking at what car I would get that's within 5bhp of 200bhp per ton.

https://www.autosnout.com/Cars-Bhp-Per-Ton-List.php

Probably has to be a Maserati Quattroporte the car for every occasion.
    Useful website :thumbsup:

Yep, Quattroporte is a great all rounder, if I had only one car it would be up there!

BTW, C63 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :driving:

flimper
    Lifer
    Lifer

My Z4MC and R8 V10

Post by flimper » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:28 pm

Cool site, interesting to see the Z4MC has identical figures as the Lotus Carlton :driving:
    Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

JT_0306

My Z4MC and R8 V10

Post by JT_0306 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:09 pm

Thanks for the post. We have had similar journeys! I also went from a Z4M(R) to an R8 V10 (Spyder). Similarly, I still love the Z4MR and still have it. In fact, I tried a V8 R8 and left not convinced it was a big enough step from the M. Ultimately, both are amazing experiences and I wouldn't want to lose either. If I could keep only one, and money wasn't an issue, it would have to be the R8 because of the engine and noise. But, if I had to lose the R8 and keep the M, I would still be very happy :driving:

If you are interested, the links to my posts about trying a V8 and then my V10 purchase are:

Here (V8 trial): viewtopic.php?f=9&t=110105&p=1594109#p1594109

And here (V10 purchase): viewtopic.php?f=16&t=115254
    '06 Interlagos Blue Z4MR. Eventuri Intake and Evolve remap. H&S Exhaust. Absolutely loved it, but now sold :cry:
    '10 Sepang Blue R8 Spyder, Manual. Top Gear F1 Valvetronic Exhaust. Love with this one too :D

Muckinonthesofa

My Z4MC and R8 V10

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:57 am

JT_0306 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:09 pm Thanks for the post. We have had similar journeys! I also went from a Z4M(R) to an R8 V10 (Spyder). Similarly, I still love the Z4MR and still have it. In fact, I tried a V8 R8 and left not convinced it was a big enough step from the M. Ultimately, both are amazing experiences and I wouldn't want to lose either. If I could keep only one, and money wasn't an issue, it would have to be the R8 because of the engine and noise. But, if I had to lose the R8 and keep the M, I would still be very happy :driving:

If you are interested, the links to my posts about trying a V8 and then my V10 purchase are:

Here (V8 trial): viewtopic.php?f=9&t=110105&p=1594109#p1594109

And here (V10 purchase): viewtopic.php?f=16&t=115254
    Thanks mate, I followed your posts originally as I've always dreamed of working my way to a "supercar", and your journey was one I was hoping to emulate, although it's coupes for me as I'm not a convertible person.

I loved the spec of your R8 (convertible notwithstanding :D ) and also wanted a manual but then a facelift s-tronic came up in budget and after test driving it I was hooked, the instant changes, autoblip and Larini exhaust was so seductive. Another factor was that I understand the facelifts have a lot if the issues that effect the originals sorted.

I agree with you that if the R8 had to go I'd be more than happy keeping the Z4MC, as I said, it's a more usuable road car, the R8 feels insanely fast to me, and I definitely prefer the steering in the Z4MC. But I'll have to sell the Z4MC soon and when it goes I'll miss it hugely!

:thumbsup:
    Last edited by Muckinonthesofa on Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

True-Blue
    Lifer
    Lifer

My Z4MC and R8 V10

Post by True-Blue » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:09 am

This is a really interesting subject, just how fast is ‘fast enough’.... in the real world.

When I was 17 I owned a fiesta 1300 Supersport, and I loved it. I then moved on to a Strada Abarth 130TC, with twin 45’s high lift cams etc, and I loved that even more - it was a beast at the time. Followed by an X19 with a 2ltr twin cam engine transplant, and a widebody conversion, the boot wasn’t very useable as it was modified so the carbs would fit :evil:

By today’s standards none of these would be considered fast, but they were all amazing fun.... how I wish I’d moth-balled the Strada, I’d love to take that out today.

In this period, my dream car was the Lamborghini Countach... a lot of us on this forum now drive ‘everyday’ cars that could get us across country in more safety, with more speed and with greater comfort and economy than a Countach could.

My E89 has a conservative map (previous owners choice) that takes power up to 28i levels, and I’ve been thinking about taking it for a live rolling-road remap to liberate an extra 30bhp and some more torque... I don’t really know why though, because it’s already 5.something 0-60, and 0-100 isn’t shabby either! Something is telling me ‘I want more’ but I really don’t need more :rofl:

I’ve not driven a Tesla, but I can only imagine ‘ludicrous mode’ is fun the first few times, but then what?... I bet it’s completely soulless experience, a bit like my daily driver Prius (not comparing the two here!). In terms of ‘fit for purpose’ the Prius is amazing, but it has no soul at all... Zero, it’s like a washing machine... it does the job, but zero excitement :cry:
    Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i