Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Power steering noise

"M" Specific discussion
MichaelK

Power steering noise

Post by MichaelK » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:16 pm

Evening all,
Once my car has warmed up theres a noise coming from engine bay as if the power steering pump has no fluid, that kind of grindy buzzy noise.
I took airbox out and checked ps fluid level and it was fine, fluid was a bit brown so changed it however the noise is still there.
When the car is sat idling and I can hear the noise, if I move the steering wheel slightly left or right so to put some load on the engine the noise stops.

Any ideas please? Have any of you experienced similar?

Cheers

-Tom-

Power steering noise

Post by -Tom- » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:21 pm

It’s always difficult guessing without a video / audio clip.

However there’s a slim chance that you could be describing the heat shields failing on the catalyst! They fail and can lean onto part of the steering inputs / outputs, and so steering can seemingly affect the noise whilst having nothing directly to do with the problem !

Happened on mine the day after collection from a main dealer. Local main dealer tech thought it was something to do with a failed power steering valve ... but turned out to be these heat shields. If it’s that, they can be repaired. For mine, they replaced the cats under warranty which seemed overkill.
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

MichaelK

Power steering noise

Post by MichaelK » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:19 am

Thanks for the reply Tom. Ah ok, so maybe when the car is warm and making the noise I'll put it up in the air and somebody can listen underneath.
I was hoping it was a failing power steering pump but the noise isnt really coming from that area