Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Transmission clonk?

"M" Specific discussion
Argenta

Transmission clonk?

Post by Argenta » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:58 pm

Well hi, I've had this noise in my transmission as long as I remember, to the point I don't even hear it anymore.
Until this christmas!
And I had a look at one of my own youtube clips, it can be heard in the beginning here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOxHloV-kmE

Is it just the double-mass clutch making it's usual theatre or is it something else?

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Transmission clonk?

Post by Chris_D » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:39 pm

Dunno about your klonk but that was a legit pass by Renaultboy - you were proper dawdling through the Adenauer esses. :P
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

GT Spec

Transmission clonk?

Post by GT Spec » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:56 pm

Sounds very much like the dual mass flywheel yep! Have you considered converting to a solid 1 piece one?
E85 M, Aero Skirts and Hardtop
Schrick 288/280 Cams and Rockers
Karbonius Race Airbox
BMW Motorsport 4.1 FD
Supersprint Full System inc 100 Cell Cats
163M CSL Rims
Bilstein/Eibach B12
Recaro Sportster CS

Diagnostic scanning and coding in Essex

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Transmission clonk?

Post by mmm-five » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:20 pm

GT Spec wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:56 pm Sounds very much like the dual mass flywheel yep! Have you considered converting to a solid 1 piece one?
The only noise I've heard from my DMF was a rattling with the clutch pedal depressed - never heard a clunk from it in 140,000 miles (got a new clutch & flywheel at that point).

However, that clunk sounds more like the noise I was hearing when my diff was on it's way out (BMW replaced it under warranty and did diff bushes at the same time) - or maybe simply gearbox/engine mounts - but it's hard to tell where it's coming from from a GoPro recording.

Although on an e46 M3, there's a common issue with a clunk from the diff bushes (about 3m in the below video you can see the sort of play that can occur)...
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Argenta

Transmission clonk?

Post by Argenta » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:13 pm

GT Spec wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:56 pm Sounds very much like the dual mass flywheel yep! Have you considered converting to a solid 1 piece one?
Thanx! No I have not, I mean its not getting any worse and it all works as normal... as yet! :)
How much difference does it make, other than being quiet?

Mmm-five,
Thanx! I will have a look at this. Don't want the diff to fall out... :oops:
Altho, the noice seem consistent even with less force, say just doodling in a parking square. As soon as I press the clutch I get that sound.
Chris_D wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:39 pm Dunno about your klonk but that was a legit pass by Renaultboy - you were proper dawdling through the Adenauer esses. :P
Well unless you missed it a certain M3 was blocking me (and I had just passed the obviously slower Clio.. (so I had to pass him again)) :D
And I could tell by his driving (the M3) he had no idea I was behind him (didn't use his mirror) so I had to wait for a safe place to overtake, also as his speed was slightly too close to mine (having the same engine)

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Transmission clonk?

Post by Zedebee » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:05 pm

Great video. Makes you realise how spartan the cockpit is on the passenger side; I wish I could have seen your dials.

Sorry I can’t help with the clonk.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe