Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Opinions - Eibach B12 Pro-Kit Suspension Kit

"M" Specific discussion
Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:59 pm

Smeg wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:11 pm
Jembo wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:53 pm Suggest you keep hold of your front springs - found the eibach fronts too harsh on Kent’s pants roads, Bilsteins all round are fab & following some advice swapped the front springs back to OEM.... never looked back :thumbsup:
Did you replace the rubber pads and bearings when you fitted the B12's.
Nope, they were still in almost new condition as were front lollypops

However I did replace the track rod ends, f/r drop links, rear top mounts & RTAB/RTAL’s with Rogue Engineering bits after some good advice on here :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

afennell

Post by afennell » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:43 pm

Just wondering how you got on with the Kit?

Smeg

Post by Smeg » Wed May 26, 2021 12:20 pm

Still waiting on the B12 kit! Bilstein keep pushing the date back every month! :headbang: Has been on back order since January 15th!

brownah

Post by brownah » Wed May 26, 2021 12:22 pm

Smeg wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:20 pm Still waiting on the B12 kit! Bilstein keep pushing the date back every month! :headbang: Has been on back order since January 15th!
Me too 😡😡😡😡😡
Although I did order a couple weeks back and I have received one front shock 🤣

Mos6689

Post by Mos6689 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:39 pm

Hey all, I’m considering going down the KW route but concerned about possibly needing spacers to fit them. Seems to be a mixed bag, some use 10mm spacers, others don’t use any. I’ve just fitted a set of wheels that don’t allow me to have spacers added because they’re flush already, so this kind of kills it for me if I need spacers to fit KW’s. Anyone with KW’s that can advise? Don’t see the point in going down the club sport route because I’m not going to use this car on any track days.

On the flip side of the coin, no one seems to run spacers with the B12 kit. Is that correct? From reading I’m not keen on Bilstein because they don’t seem to be as reliable as the KW’s & obviously no adjustability unless I go up to B16’s. However again I’ve seen a couple of these sets fall flat & fail. General consensus is definitely the KW’s but will I be able to fit?

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:58 pm

I just wonder what what some people were doing with their Billy kits to make them fail, as I’ve certainly given quite a few sets good exuberant use & never had any issue 👍
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:12 pm

@Jembo - mine were under 3 years old when they failed. They had done 25k miles daily driving, plus 3 trackdays - the Passenger front burst and oil all exited the damper, meaning it essentially became completely solid. Upon removal of the other front it wasn't looking in particularly good condition either. As a point of note I was pretty fastidious about keeping the dampers clean during winter months to avoid any corrosion or salt/grit damage. Dampers had sleeves over the pistons too.

Annoyingly the failure happened on a drive out with my wife, who spent the whole journey moaning about how tragically bad the ride was in the Z4 :lol:
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

afennell

Post by afennell » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:46 pm

No experiance the Billy's on my Z, but i used to go through fronts on my mr2 turbo. Just put it down to lowered springs on oem shocls and our pothole uk roads. I also had one pop when lowering the jack, i was droping the jack slowely next minute oil all over the front strut.
THis is going back 5 years, but all shocks were purchased from Toyota.

Mos6689

Post by Mos6689 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:53 pm

afennell wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:46 pm No experiance the Billy's on my Z, but i used to go through fronts on my mr2 turbo. Just put it down to lowered springs on oem shocls and our pothole uk roads. I also had one pop when lowering the jack, i was droping the jack slowely next minute oil all over the front strut.
So nothing to do with Bilstein or KW? Just saying how crap Toyota struts are :rofl:
Ed Doe wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:12 pm @Jembo - mine were under 3 years old when they failed. They had done 25k miles daily driving, plus 3 trackdays - the Passenger front burst and oil all exited the damper, meaning it essentially became completely solid. Upon removal of the other front it wasn't looking in particularly good condition either. As a point of note I was pretty fastidious about keeping the dampers clean during winter months to avoid any corrosion or salt/grit damage. Dampers had sleeves over the pistons too.

Annoyingly the failure happened on a drive out with my wife, who spent the whole journey moaning about how tragically bad the ride was in the Z4 :lol:
Yes yours was one I came across Ed that made me think, “nope not going B12.”
Mos6689 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:39 pm Hey all, I’m considering going down the KW route but concerned about possibly needing spacers to fit them. Seems to be a mixed bag, some use 10mm spacers, others don’t use any. I’ve just fitted a set of wheels that don’t allow me to have spacers added because they’re flush already, so this kind of kills it for me if I need spacers to fit KW’s. Anyone with KW’s that can advise? Don’t see the point in going down the club sport route because I’m not going to use this car on any track days.

On the flip side of the coin, no one seems to run spacers with the B12 kit. Is that correct? From reading I’m not keen on Bilstein because they don’t seem to be as reliable as the KW’s & obviously no adjustability unless I go up to B16’s. However again I’ve seen a couple of these sets fall flat & fail. General consensus is definitely the KW’s but will I be able to fit?
Anyone with a KWV3 setup that can help me answer this?

afennell

Post by afennell » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:21 pm

Mos6689 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:53 pm
afennell wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:46 pm No experiance the Billy's on my Z, but i used to go through fronts on my mr2 turbo. Just put it down to lowered springs on oem shocls and our pothole uk roads. I also had one pop when lowering the jack, i was droping the jack slowely next minute oil all over the front strut.
So nothing to do with Bilstein or KW? Just saying how crap Toyota struts are :rofl:

Yes the mr2 ran factory Bilsteins .

Mos6689

Post by Mos6689 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:44 pm

I did not know that! Confirms my position on Bilstein then, definitely staying away!

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:49 pm

Bilsteins are mono tube dampers, have a read up on the dual tube dampers like the KW, they are on a different level completely :thumbsup:

Mos, it's worth while remembering when you lower the car your wheels tuck, often a flush wheel at oem height will be sunk in the arch once lowered.
IMOLA Z4///MR

Mos6689

Post by Mos6689 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:39 am

RedUn wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:49 pm Bilsteins are mono tube dampers, have a read up on the dual tube dampers like the KW, they are on a different level completely :thumbsup:

Mos, it's worth while remembering when you lower the car your wheels tuck, often a flush wheel at oem height will be sunk in the arch once lowered.
I wasn’t planning to lower much at all to be honest. One of the factors in deciding on the KW’s was the fact it can be set closest to stock height. My old si coupe I lowered, only on eibachs & scraped the fangs so often it just became unpleasant to drive.

I’m still really torn on whether to go for the KW’s & if it doesn’t fit without changing wheels, potentially have to sell the new wheels & tyres that I’ve just spent over £1500 on or just stick with stock & keep the wheels. I don’t completely hate the ride but it certainly leaves me wanting, especially coming from a 981. God I love & hate this car so much at the same time! :headbang:

From the reading I’ve done, the change in handling & ride is night & day with the KW’s. So I’m leaning towards just biting the bullet, hope they fit & if they don’t, sacrifice the wheels. As much as I love them, if I’m going to keep this car as long as I hope to, having a better suspension setup is definitely more logical in the long run.

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:25 pm

Mos6689 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:39 am
RedUn wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:49 pm Bilsteins are mono tube dampers, have a read up on the dual tube dampers like the KW, they are on a different level completely :thumbsup:

I wasn’t planning to lower much at all to be honest. One of the factors in deciding on the KW’s was the fact it can be set closest to stock height. My old si coupe I lowered, only on eibachs & scraped the fangs so often it just became unpleasant to drive.

I’m still really torn on whether to go for the KW’s & if it doesn’t fit without changing wheels, potentially have to sell the new wheels & tyres that I’ve just spent over £1500 on or just stick with stock & keep the wheels. I don’t completely hate the ride but it certainly leaves me wanting, especially coming from a 981. God I love & hate this car so much at the same time! :headbang:

From the reading I’ve done, the change in handling & ride is night & day with the KW’s. So I’m leaning towards just biting the bullet, hope they fit & if they don’t, sacrifice the wheels. As much as I love them, if I’m going to keep this car as long as I hope to, having a better suspension setup is definitely more logical in the long run.
Interesting, if this helps, I came from a 987 years ago, the suspension is the worst part of the Z4m by far.

I decided to just go for it and see if the KWs would "fix it" if they didn't I would have sold the car as it was that annoying as standard, that was probably 8 years ago now and the zeds a keeper.

If your doing it, do the top mounts front and rear, rear trailing arm bushes and Anti Roll Bars then get it set up properly.

Sod the wheels, you need it to drive right first, you can tweak the looks after once you know your keeping it :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR

Mos6689

Post by Mos6689 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:56 pm

RedUn wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:25 pm
Mos6689 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:39 am

Interesting, if this helps, I came from a 987 years ago, the suspension is the worst part of the Z4m by far.

I decided to just go for it and see if the KWs would "fix it" if they didn't I would have sold the car as it was that annoying as standard, that was probably 8 years ago now and the zeds a keeper.

If your doing it, do the top mounts front and rear, rear trailing arm bushes and Anti Roll Bars then get it set up properly.

Sod the wheels, you need it to drive right first, you can tweak the looks after once you know your keeping it :thumbsup:
Yup that’s it, biting the bullet. Emailed Julian at Balance Motorsport & he sorted out a bit of discount.

@RedUn doing the top mounts & RTAB & ARB bushes, did you go for stock or aftermarket?