Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Power pulley / underdrive pulley kit

"M" Specific discussion
Frentz

Post by Frentz » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:22 pm

Z4 M roadster, 2006, saphirshwarz / Sepang Bronze Hell full walknappa (LTA8)

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:36 pm

If it what I thing it is looking at the pictures etc.

It is an undersized pulley, for a pump, to understand these you first need an understanding of how the pumps work on your car they need to do a couple of things move enough volume and at the required pressure, the pump will have a ‘pump curve’ this is where it works best

Too slow and it under performs too fast and you need to bypass/bleed off the excess

So the BMW engineers calculated it for normal driving conditions and the very top and bottom of the range is likely to be a small compromise

So in motorsport when the engine is at 6500rpm or above for most of its use in anger the wasted or the bit that is bleed off can now be recalculated so a smaller pulley is used and at 7000rpm the pump is at the most efficient, but at lower rpm it is under preforming

So unless it is a race engine best to leave it as the cleaver engineers at BMW designed it (yes I know a 4yr old did the roof motor location)

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:24 pm

AS above, leave alone, it was designed for optimal operation, and really doubt you'd see let alone notice 11hp.

XMetal

Post by XMetal » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:39 pm

Agreed - leave it alone. If there are power to be had, do you think the engineers would leave that on the table for the aftermarket to exploit?

Frentz

Post by Frentz » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:40 pm

this kind of spare parts is really common in V8 tuning in USA.
it seems strange to me that they are so common if they can cause problems.

the first advantage is that the pulleys are lighter: no doubt about this improvement.
the other advantage is the different ratio, but usually 10%. it should be very little...
an acquaintance only changed the primary pulley on the 3.0si, and clearly had no problems.

Edd China also changed the pulleys on an '88 mustang, the idea comes from here.
then I found that these kits also exist for the S54.
they declare that there are no problems, and as far as I can know I do not find it hard to believe.
I was just looking for some feedback, I'm going to look for it on M3 owners in the USA

Edit: from M3 forum
"Turner offer 2 differents sets of power puller: the street version and race version."

philipw

Post by philipw » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:20 pm

I have the VAC MotorSport pulleys installed for over a year now with no issues. Underdriving the PS pump makes the steering a bit heavier, which is what I prefer. The pulleys themselves are hardly any lighter than OEM as they are bigger to under drive the ancillaries and therefore reduce power losses. As said above, don't be deceived by the claimed HP gain but they should provide a few extra HP to the wheels.
08 Carbon Black M Coupe

Frentz

Post by Frentz » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:19 pm

these are certainly lighter.
thanks for the feedback

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-uuc-parts/u ... dps54~uuc/

Argenta

Post by Argenta » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:28 pm

Hahaha this was about the most hilarious scam I've seen!
Gotta leave it to the yanks, eh! :D

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:33 pm

As for the waterpump I wouldn't slow that down on a high performance engine. Especially an inline 6 (hotspots in the back of the engine)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch