Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery dead? High pitch beeping noise

"M" Specific discussion
tom21

Post by tom21 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:27 pm

My car keeps randomly giving out a high pitch beeping. Its sounds like an alarm beep but its not the alarm if that makes sense at all.... Is this a known thing on these cars?

Even with a trickle charger on my alarm keeps beeping ( think this is related to low battery) What batteries are people putting in their M's? Its got a Halfords HCB096 Calcium 12V Car Battery in it currently.

However when I unplug the trickle charge the car starts up no problems at all. No signs of low battery when starting the car up.

At the moment I am doing very limited mileage. Have done less that 1k this year and isnt looking like that is going to change for the foreseeable future. Dont know if certain batteries are better at dealing with this?

thanks,

tom
Z4 MC Silver grey, Gruppe M, Supersprint manifolds back, schrick cams, strong strutbrace, lightened pulleys, UUC flywheel, short shift, paddle clutch, OEM CSLs, Ground control coilies, turner tie arms, bush limiters, Stoptech BBK. 370BHP

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:53 am

Check the bonnet is closed properly. I’ve heard such a sound from my Zed when one of the bonnet catches wasn’t engaged properly and from a previous E46 when the bonnet alarm sensor had died. With my Zed, slamming the bonnet solved the problem and with the E46, disconnecting the bonnet sensor.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

tom21

Post by tom21 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:45 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:53 am Check the bonnet is closed properly. I’ve heard such a sound from my Zed when one of the bonnet catches wasn’t engaged properly and from a previous E46 when the bonnet alarm sensor had died. With my Zed, slamming the bonnet solved the problem and with the E46, disconnecting the bonnet sensor.
ooooo great shout. This could be why it only happens periodically! thanks so much
Z4 MC Silver grey, Gruppe M, Supersprint manifolds back, schrick cams, strong strutbrace, lightened pulleys, UUC flywheel, short shift, paddle clutch, OEM CSLs, Ground control coilies, turner tie arms, bush limiters, Stoptech BBK. 370BHP