Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The Saga of Trigger's S54....

"M" Specific discussion
AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:47 pm

mr wilks wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:26 pm
AndyBeech wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:02 pm Great post Ed, interesting read and good to see James is still doing excellent work down at Redish, hate to think what the final bill was for all that though :cry: Sounds like you've just been a bit unlucky to be honest as well as the previous rebuild not being up to standard going from what James said which no doubt was part of the problem. Least it's all sorted now though, take it they still didn't figure out why the noise went away for no particular reason at one point?

Plenty of people track standard S54 engine car's with no major issues apart from more regular maintenance and oil changes so not sure there's any scaremongering going on, just things to be aware of. From watching what James said it sounds a poor previous rebuild caused the issues here rather than excessive heat cycling etc. Sure Ed can shed more light on that though as he would have had more extensive conversations with James at the time no doubt. Not sure what the wheel caps melting has anything to do with the engine, AP brakes are going to produce a lot of heat on track but nothing out the ordinary (wonder if Tom has done the same at some point :lol: )
The scaremongering being the caveats added at the end of post to remind all S54 owners that worn cams & followers is a very real issue but is it?? Or is it more prominent in cars pushed to the max of heat - cool - heat - cool in relative short bursts.
Pure opinion which I'm entitled to have & voice , you aren't of the opinion that engine went from good to bad at that moment between sessions purely by chance or bad luck are you? & suggesting the previous rebuild was iffy is also clutching at straws too , it's managed 10k with no issues :wink:
There is obviously a divided camp of owners Re tracking cars or not but fro. My own perspective I wouldn't knowingly touch any car that had track history with a barge pole let only a broom.
It's an issue the same as the rod bearings / head gasket / VANOS are issues. Some people will experience them, some never will. Some will suffer these regardless of track work or not. It's just things to be aware of. Of course pushing the engine round a track is more likely to expose weak points already there, don't think that would be a surprise to anyone.

I don't think the engine went from good to bad by chance no, clearly there were issues already there that were exposed by being on track. I don't think you've read the thread properly as James says many times that he believes whoever did the previous rebuild has been heavy handed and maybe not done a great job as demonstrated by the damaged bolt threads so I don't see how that's 'clutching at straws'.

I don't think this thread is anything to do with whether tracking a car is bad or not, it's just Ed sharing his experience and pointing out again some already known potential weak points. The only thing obvious is that track work exposes weak points, doesn't mean it wouldn't have failed had it not been near a track at some point down the line with 'spirited driving'.
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

TomK

Post by TomK » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:30 pm

Happy to hear you got to the end of it, Ed, seems all rather unfortunate :( Thanks for the informative post 👍
AndyBeech wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:02 pm wonder if Tom has done the same at some point :lol:
Yep! If they're not oe they'll be off before you know it.
I think "melting them" is more a figure of speech, taken by some though as yet more signs of incredible abuse to your car :rofl:
mr wilks wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:33 pm 2) wasn't it Beedub who had a big issue with them after claiming to have done valve check when they hadn't?
Nope, different shop.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:35 pm

Thanks Andy - hit the nail on the head.
mr wilks wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:26 pm The scaremongering being the caveats added at the end of post to remind all S54 owners that worn cams & followers is a very real issue but is it?? Or is it more prominent in cars pushed to the max of heat - cool - heat - cool in relative short bursts.
Pure opinion which I'm entitled to have & voice , you aren't of the opinion that engine went from good to bad at that moment between sessions purely by chance or bad luck are you? & suggesting the previous rebuild was iffy is also clutching at straws too , it's managed 10k with no issues :wink:
There is obviously a divided camp of owners Re tracking cars or not but fro. My own perspective I wouldn't knowingly touch any car that had track history with a barge pole let only a broom.
I'm going to completely ignore your tone and digs in your first response.
That aside, you are arguing the issues aren't very real because you haven't suffered with them, and I am on the other side of the scale with a hard-used example, but I must stress I'm just sharing my experiences and opinions. The difference however is that this issue HAS happened to me.

Interestingly, Mr Vanos (who I spoke to at length throughout the early phase of working out what the hell do to) also told me he'd already done about 20 follower/cam refreshes on S54 M3s this year, from cars with the same top-end noise as mine was making. Redish also separately said that they are seeing an increasing number of follower/cam wear in the S54. I'm afraid it is happening - there's a fair bit more of it on the M3 forums because quite honestly the z4 tends to be more of a sunny day occasional car so mileage generally is less on Z4s compared to M3s of comparative ages.

Out of interest, in relation to my apparent naivety in putting the noise down to issues with the rebuild rather than a mere 40 miles on track, Redish did a timing check upon receipt of the vehicle and confirmed it was perfectly timed. Therefore it would not be possible for only two valves to bend on an interference engine - it either bends them all or none. This does indicate issues with the previous rebuild, and yes if the bend was slight and the valve still sealed it could have been an unseen issue that was carried for many miles until it got hot enough for things to start to expand and therefore affect operation.

In the interests of drawing a line under your (in my opinion misguided) remarks, I will modify the wording in my original write-up to clarify that in my opinion it would always be a worthwhile investment to budget for rod bearings, and to investigate the condition of the cam lobes and followers, as certainly if I were a prospective buyer once again, I would have wanted to at least know of this so I could make an informed opinion on whether to investigate any car before purchase. I hope this will make you feel a little better.
mr wilks wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:33 pm & btw Ed., I'm not blasting you for the thread or insinuating you are bleating at the expense incurred , I actually found it a interesting read but to point out that its a potential concern for all owners of S54 is not wholly accurate.
I do however think it's a concern if you intend tracking which not all owners do.
As for bigging up Redish I have 2 thoughts
1) a big time reputed indy that dropped the bottom out when the fault was actually a bent valve? Surely they've come across the fault before if as you say its prevelent in S54
2) wasn't it Beedub who had a big issue with them after claiming to have done valve check when they hadn't?
You may not have wanted to blast me for the thread, but I'm afraid the tone and sarcasm of your posts has largely achieved just that. I'm not a sensitive soul by any stretch but I'm equally not a fan of being accused of stirring it up, and I strongly believe I have done nothing more than record my experiences and offered a word of advice based on that.

In relation to your comments on Redish, my responses as follows;

1. I insisted that Redish drop the sump and check the rod bearings before allowing them to start the car to listen to the engine, because I thought it might be bottom end failure, and I didn't want to do more damage to the crank. That was 100% my call, and I insisted on this approach because I was holding onto the hope the crank journals wouldn't be scored, as the as the clatter had only started at ~1500 rpm and I'd only had the car running for a short period of time. I had hoped that any scoring that had happened would also have been minimal and could have therefore been sorted with a slight polish rather than a new crank, at a new crank costs approx. £2.2k. As you can appreciate, with an undiagnosed issue of this magnitude I was quite cautious, an approach which Redish fully supported!

2. I wasn't aware of Beedub's issues, the above posts I have made are purely a summary of my own experience with Redish. I don't think there are many companies who would do youtube videos to explain progress and critical areas for discussion/decision making - as far as I'm concerned they have gone above and beyond in performing my diagnosis and rebuild. Not sure what else to say really?!

Happy to discuss this further, but please could we leave it out of this thread going forward - I think I've adequately addressed your issue, and I don't think further back-and-forth is adding anything meaningful to the discussion on the thread.

Thanks!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:42 pm

TomK wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:30 pm Happy to hear you got to the end of it, Ed, seems all rather unfortunate :( Thanks for the informative post 👍
AndyBeech wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:02 pm wonder if Tom has done the same at some point :lol:
Yep! If they're not oe they'll be off before you know it.
I think "melting them" is more a figure of speech, taken by some though as yet more signs of incredible abuse to your car :rofl:
Cheers Tom, and thanks for your help and advice on the Cam & mapping side of things. I contacted the mappers you recommended, but in the end decided that I'd be better off getting it fixed and getting some track time than making it quicker. Maybe in the future though - having watched your 911 Gt3 chasing video, the sound yours makes is something else, and it's bloody quick too! Does make me want to do it at some point!

:lol: Do you know for sure that the OE ones don't melt? If they don't I'll grab a set of them!

For clarity, this is what I meant when I said melted - they just deformed slightly so they no longer clipped in - then they just fell out:
IMG-20200620-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20200620-WA0008.jpg (69.02 KiB) Viewed 788 times

Sadly this may confirm that I did not in fact drive the car that hard :lol:
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:53 pm

Just to add on Redish, I'm pretty well qualified to have an opinion on him / them as I've known and used James since he started out on his own over 10 years ago in a little garage in Bristol doing repairs. He is a very honest and open guy and very methodical and I know for a fact if he makes a mistake or does something that the customer isn't happy with, he will hold his hands up and happily have a discussion about it and come to a resolution. He certainly didn't get to where he is now by being dishonest or carrying out sloppy work.
Only reason I don't use them so much anymore is that it's a bit difficult and far away from me to get to but that's all.

He's also the only place I know that sends out a Christmas card to all his customers every year! :lol:
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:55 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:42 pm

IMG-20200620-WA0008.jpg

If those are your driving shoes in the pic then I'm surely we'll accept you were very gentle with it :rofl:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:00 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:55 pm
Ed Doe wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:42 pm

IMG-20200620-WA0008.jpg

If those are your driving shoes in the pic then I'm surely we'll accept you were very gentle with it :rofl:

:lol: f**k I've been busted!

They're the mankiest set of old loafers but they do the job - I promise I'm not just being a poser :rofl:

beanie

Post by beanie » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:16 pm

Thanks for putting that up Ed and with any luck you’ve seen the back of all this.

It’s also reminded me that I should probably check the valve clearances again!
RUBYIMOLACARBON

cerbera

Post by cerbera » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:16 pm

mr wilks wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:23 pm So after 3 track sessions on a car that hadn't previously been tracked (in your ownership) the heat through the wheels was sufficient to melt the wheel centres yet you aren't sure what could have caused a bent valve :?
How about excessive heat cycle / cooling along with poor oil circulation?

If you stick your fingers through the bars you have to expect to get bitten & scaremongering all S54 owners into thinking this could easily happen to their cars is just wrong.
Do you intend tracking it again ?
That was a bit of an unwarranted kick in the bollocks. :thumbsdown:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:56 pm

cerbera wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:16 pm
mr wilks wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:23 pm So after 3 track sessions on a car that hadn't previously been tracked (in your ownership) the heat through the wheels was sufficient to melt the wheel centres yet you aren't sure what could have caused a bent valve :?

If you stick your fingers through the bars you have to expect to get bitten & scaremongering all S54 owners into thinking this could easily happen to their cars is just wrong.
How so? Feel free to elaborate
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

crustyclown777

Post by crustyclown777 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:28 pm

cerbera wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:16 pm

Honestly, I completely agree, I enjoyed reading Ed’s posts and felt his pain throughout this process. After all this is a community forum, it’s insightful for us other owners to share our knowledge/experiences.
I was surprised to see the response from Mr Wilks, thought it was insensitive, considering everything Ed has been through.
Z4MC Interlagos Blue
Instagram: z4mcuk

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:42 pm

Out of interest how much did the whole exercise cost in GBP including all the ferrying around etc?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:02 pm

Pbondar wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:42 pm Out of interest how much did the whole exercise cost in GBP including all the ferrying around etc?
If you have to ask, you can't afford it. :wink:

He was doing ok until the massive expense of 2 new centre caps :rofl:

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:13 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:02 pm
Pbondar wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:42 pm Out of interest how much did the whole exercise cost in GBP including all the ferrying around etc?

Based on how much I’ve spent on my E89 I may have been able to afford it.. :rofl:

I always like a sense of perspective on these things....

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:17 pm

Pbondar wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:13 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:02 pm

Based on how much I’ve spent on my E89 I may have been able to afford it.. :rofl:

I always like a sense of perspective on these things....
Yup, you're probably right, but I guess you don't buy an M without knowing there's a chance you could have to dig deep.
You could probably have bought two by now, with the work done on your lowly 4-pot :wink: