Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Recaro Pole position ABE fitment.

"M" Specific discussion
whopwop

Post by whopwop » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:12 am

Hi all and thanks in advance.
Has anyone fitted the Recaro Pole position ABE in their ZM?
I have been speaking with Burkhart in Germany and they believe that they may not fit.

Anyone experience with the ABE specifically as they are slightly wider than the FIA versions...

Thanks again.

M

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:43 am

I wanted Tillets, but didn't want to pay almost twice as much as I would for the Recaros.

Even kept my eye out for any deals on BMW Performance seats (Recaro Sportster CS), but ultimately had no use for recliners, so the added expense (at least double) wasn't worth it.

Anyway, the Pole Position and ABE do fit*

*depending how you fit them (i.e. with or without sliders, with or without low-profile mounts, position of seat when fitted, etc.) you may see the outside shoulder/ears touching the top of the door card.

I've had them in mine for a few years, and over 20,000 miles.

Mine are fitted as low as they can go (with the exception of removing the sliders and thick floor mount) and that's why the shoulder/ears touch my door trim. You can see an impression where they touch, but there's no scraping or tearing to the leather door trim.

An inch higher and it would clear it totally.

The only bit where the ABE is wider is the outer seat base, which gives you 20mm more width (like an XL seat).

I've got them in mine.

Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

whopwop

Post by whopwop » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:35 pm

Hi mmm
That’s excellent information, very much appreciated
Mark

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:43 pm

Meant to add...

Don't buy the seats unless you've tried them, as different seats/manufacturers (especially fixed buckets) fit differently.

I was looking at a nice Cobra one at the Nurburgring but found the hips were too tight for me, same went for a Sabelt and OMP one.

In the end the two that were most comfortable for me were the Recaro Pole Position (both FIA & ABE) and the Recaro Speed. Didn't try the 'full on' race buckets/shells as they were a bit extreme...and you can't use seats with pronounced/wrap-around 'ears' on public days at the 'Ring.

Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

whopwop

Post by whopwop » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:35 pm

Hi mmm
Thanks
Yes I had the FIA’s fitted in a CSL A few years back and found them just a little tight, hence I want the ABE.

Wursle

Post by Wursle » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:22 pm

Just to revive an old thread but I’ve come back to this many times to make sure I got the result I desired.

I have just made a video on installing the Recaro Pole Position ABE into my Z4 Coupe with the Adjustable Gosling Racing Seat Mounts.

In my opinion this offers the lowest adjustable seat option that is next to identical in height as solid mounts.

Z4 Coupe E86 Recaro Pole Position ABE + Gosling Racing Adjustable Seat Mounts Install & Review
https://youtu.be/rlwHzfn_b-M