Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bits to budget for / am I insane?

"M" Specific discussion
R60BBA

Post by R60BBA » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:29 am

Ed Doe wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:28 am
R60BBA wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:54 pm Out of interest on the camshaft point, which brand of oil was the car run on?
The bmw recommended Castrol TWS :(
Really?! I’ve heard of this with Millers but never Castrol.

That is interesting. *scratches head*
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

groovy_hippy

Post by groovy_hippy » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:34 am

So...update on where my mind has been wandering...I enquired about one on Autotrader (the red one at circa 14k - not the one that's also for sale privately here :) ). Looking at its history, it looks like it was doted on until about 2016, where it changed owners and then things changed - e.g. it's MOT and tax lapsed for 2 years or so - could be fine, but I'd prefer one that's been 'kept alive' as it were. Also, this talk of engines going pop and such - I'm just not sure I can budget for that right now - that's not to say I won't be able to in the future though. I've always wanted a red one! :lol:
Current ... 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport | Manual | Alpine White | Black leather | Piano black dash
Intro to Zeds, now sold... 2007 Z4 2.5i SE Roadster | Manual | Stratus Grey | Red Leather | CDV delete | DLV backbox

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:52 am

I wouldn't read too much into the tales on here, as there are probably over 100,000 S54s made, and many running into higher mileages with only scheduled maintenance, and there aren't thousands with major issues, so you're looking at a 1% chance. The engines in the earlier M3/Z3M were more prone to these than those in the later M3/Z4M.

The 3 well-known issues are:
  • Vanos (mine's on the original)
  • Rod bearings (mine lasted 140,000 miles)
  • Water pump (I replaced mine at 100,000 miles)
But how many have failed due to any of these will be in quite low numbers.

Even my (2nd engine) lasted 140,000 miles albeit with shortened service intervals, i.e. oil change & oil/air filter every 6,000 miles, Inspection every year (based on 25-30k miles a year, including track days/ring trips)...and it's not one that could be said to have been used to 'drive Miss Daisy' :P
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:14 am

Ed Doe wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:00 pm
ph001 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:40 am I think most of the costs have been a little overstated to be honest, and camshaft / lifter failure is very rare indeed. Vanos / bearing shells I guess eventually will need doing but tons of facelift M3’s are way past 100k miles and still on original.

Roof motor relocation is £80 from Durham Dave, although I would recommend keeping it where it is and just pulling the bungs.

Water pump not an issue.

ABS pump refurb is £200 from ecutesting, with lifetime warranty.

If you are prepared to DIY the brakes then can easily be done for significantly less than a grand.

The insp2 is pricey for what it is, and in practice it’s very rare for the shims to need replacing... more often than not it’s measurement error as the tolerance is incredibly tight. Many get adjusted needlessly.
My comments re flattened followers, scored cams, Rod bearings and head gasket are all direct experience either on mine or my mates late model e46 m3, as are the costs quoted.
It sounds like your mate was somewhat overcharged for replacement cams and followers. Did he go OEM or upgrade?
After several forum threads about Z4Ms needing new cams and followers, I asked my Indy what would be the cost to replace both cam shafts and all the lifters in the event of failure. Bearing in mind that he has first-hand experience of doing the job previously, his price was ‘around £1500’. That was about five years ago, so even with inflation it shouldn’t be over £2000 now.
I’m aware of half a dozen Z4Ms that have had new cams and followers, and a similar number that have spun bearing shells. Most were not regular track cars. I think “very rare” understates the frequency of these, but I do agree it is not ubiquitous.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:11 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:14 am It sounds like your mate was somewhat overcharged for replacement cams and followers. Did he go OEM or upgrade?
After several forum threads about Z4Ms needing new cams and followers, I asked my Indy what would be the cost to replace both cam shafts and all the lifters in the event of failure. Bearing in mind that he has first-hand experience of doing the job previously, his price was ‘around £1500’. That was about five years ago, so even with inflation it shouldn’t be over £2000 now.
I’m aware of half a dozen Z4Ms that have had new cams and followers, and a similar number that have spun bearing shells. Most were not regular track cars. I think “very rare” understates the frequency of these, but I do agree it is not ubiquitous.
New oe cams - £1,546
New schrick dlc followers x24 - £1476 (oe ones are even more expensive at £107 a pop!)
Fitting (including head gasket): £1580

Not sure where you're getting your costs from but guessing your indy was quoting based on you supplying the parts!

Fwiw it's possible to reduce the fitting cost by several hundred if you don't do the head gasket and instead remove most of the front end to get the follower tubes out. In my case I'd rather have my pistons inspected and know the head gasket is good before bolting it back up and getting on track again.

Also ironically the schrick cams are a couple of hundred cheaper than oe new ones - but when you factor mapping in it obviously becomes a more expensive route again.
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:09 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:14 am I’m aware of half a dozen Z4Ms that have had new cams and followers, and a similar number that have spun bearing shells. Most were not regular track cars. I think “very rare” understates the frequency of these, but I do agree it is not ubiquitous.
Can't argue with what your saying, I just don't get how a similar percentage of failures are not seen on the M3. Given there are at least 10 times the qty of S54 engines in that car you think you would see a similar pattern but there doesn't appear to be (cams & followers I mean). Maybe it runs slightly hotter in the Z4M or something but I doubt it.
Last edited by ph001 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:30 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:11 pm
BMWZ4MC wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:14 am It sounds like your mate was somewhat overcharged for replacement cams and followers. Did he go OEM or upgrade?
New oe cams - £1,546
New schrick dlc followers x24 - £1476 (oe ones are even more expensive at £107 a pop!)
Fitting (including head gasket): £1580

Not sure where you're getting your costs from but guessing your indy was quoting based on you supplying the parts!

Fwiw it's possible to reduce the fitting cost by several hundred if you don't do the head gasket and instead remove most of the front end to get the follower tubes out. In my case I'd rather have my pistons inspected and know the head gasket is good before bolting it back up and getting on track again.

Also ironically the schrick cams are a couple of hundred cheaper than oe new ones - but when you factor mapping in it obviously becomes a more expensive route again.
You might be right about supplying parts since it was a hypothetical conversation around swapping to Schrick cams and followers. Apparently, Schrick buy OEM followers from BMW and do something to manipulate the case hardening such that they are less prone to fail. As such, they would be my preference even with OEM cams.
S2000 GT - gone

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:36 pm

ph001 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:09 pm
BMWZ4MC wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:14 am I’m aware of half a dozen Z4Ms that have had new cams and followers, and a similar number that have spun bearing shells. Most were not regular track cars. I think “very rare” understates the frequency of these, but I do agree it is not ubiquitous.
Can't argue with what your saying, I just don't get how a similar percentage of failures are not seen on the M3. Given there are at least 10 times the qty of S54 engines in that car you think you would see a similar pattern but there doesn't appear to be. Maybe it runs slightly hotter in the Z4M or something but I doubt it.
Perhaps a greater proportion of E46 M3s have been used as daily drivers covering more motorway miles whilst more Z4Ms have been used for weekend hoons and as track cars. Or perhaps it’s reporting bias, since this forum sees a reasonable proportion of the total number of Z4Ms whilst there isn’t a single cohesive, definitive E46 forum.
S2000 GT - gone

R_P_M_

Post by R_P_M_ » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:11 pm

Are the z4m cams the same as those in the e46 (same part no's etc)? I heard someone say they're a CSL profile or something but never looked into it.
Current - Z4M Coupe, Ruby Black, Extended amarone, Copper bronze 224s, Eventuri carbon intake, BC Racing Coilovers, OEM strut brace, top spec including digital TV 8)

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:48 pm

R_P_M_ wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:11 pm Are the z4m cams the same as those in the e46 (same part no's etc)? I heard someone say they're a CSL profile or something but never looked into it.
Nah they're same as the e46 m3. The acs z4m supposedly had csl cams but the normal z4m intake manifold apparently but no z4m was mostly normal e46 m3
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(