Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Very tempted .....

"M" Specific discussion
scarlet-jester

Very tempted .....

Post by scarlet-jester » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:19 am

Hi all.

So this is on the market in CHC NZ at present. I took it for a drive today and just wow, what a car. Against my Si with m-sport the ride (suprisingly) was much smoother
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars ... f=3IpXpt4O

So I am very tempted to buy this. Unfortunately the market has fallen out of most Zeds so mine is not worth much as a trade even with only 50k kilometres on it.

Would love to get your opinions on it; what to look for, is that mileage getting high?
  • No service history but a very reputable car yard
  • Japanese import
What do you guys think?
Last edited by scarlet-jester on Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
E85 - 2006 3.0Si

Haggisman

Very tempted .....

Post by Haggisman » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:37 am

scarlet-jester wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:19 am Hi all.

So this is on the market in CHC NZ at present. I took it for a drive today and just wow, what a car. Against my Si with m-sport the rise (suprisingly) was much smoother
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars ... f=3IpXpt4O

So I am very tempted to buy this. Unfortunately the market has fallen out of most Zeds so mine is not worth much as a trade even with only 50k kilometres on it.

Would love to get your opinions on it; what to look for, is that mileage getting high?
  • No service history but a very reputable car yard
  • Japanese import
What do you guys think?
Hi Scarlet, you need to talk to BTZ (Bill). He has seen the car as well. What is your E86 spec? PM me if you like
2003 Toledo Blue 3.0 E85 Manual
2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car
2020 Kia Sportage GT - Her Indoor’s Car
1995 Dakar Yellow M3 E36 Race Car - Sold
2009 Vauxhall Astra VXR - Sold
2003 350Z well modded - Sold
1992 911 RS - Sold and still in mourning

scarlet-jester

Very tempted .....

Post by scarlet-jester » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:49 am

Haggisman wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:37 am Hi Scarlet, you need to talk to BTZ (Bill). He has seen the car as well. What is your E86 spec? PM me if you like
My current one is an E85
E85 - 2006 3.0Si

Haggisman

Very tempted .....

Post by Haggisman » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:53 am

scarlet-jester wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:49 am
Haggisman wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:37 am Hi Scarlet, you need to talk to BTZ (Bill). He has seen the car as well. What is your E86 spec? PM me if you like
My current one is an E85
Roadsters rock
2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Very tempted .....

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:10 pm

scarlet-jester wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:19 am So this is on the market in CHC NZ at present. I took it for a drive today and just wow, what a car.
So it sounds like you've been bitten by the same bug as me! :lol:

After 5 years of 3.0Si E86 Sport ownership last June I went to look at an M Coupe. And like you I found it rode much better than my 3.0Si on M-Sport suspension and run-flats. Plus the steering felt better! But while I was trying to make my mind up it sold on Ebay.

Then in the Autumn I looked at an M Coupe for a forum member because it was at a dealer a mile from my house and he wasn't local and the bug bit again. So when I saw an advert for an MC at a good price just before last Christmas I was straight onto it and because of the time of year got a good deal!

But I didn't do too well selling my 3.0Si as most people in the UK are still paying for Christmas in January/February. :roll:

Obviously I have no idea about prices in NZ but I spent hours on here researching things to look for with an M and service history kept getting to the top of the list! Especially the first running in one at about 1,000 miles/1,600km, and also Inspection 1 and 2 Services. That's because the valve clearances on the M need to be checked and adjusted with shims. My car was on 76k miles (or 120k km) and had had a couple of Inspection 1s some years ago, but no Inspection 2 so I bought it knowing it would need one. And sure enough it needed 5 new shims! Inspection 2 also includes changing gearbox and diff. oil too and what came out of mine looked pretty black!

The only record of servicing I had was the book, no invoices, but I wouldn't be brave enough to buy one with no service record at all however reputable the seller was - unless the car was VERY cheap. But I realise you aren't going too many to choose from.

Apologies if I'm telling you things you already knew, but if not maybe it'll be helpful.

And Imola Red is my favourite colour for any M which probably only makes the decision harder. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

scarlet-jester

Very tempted .....

Post by scarlet-jester » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:43 am

Spoke to Bill - he said buy it :D

If its still about next week and we are not in L3 lock-down, I am going to take it to my Inde for a once over. Key for me is what servicing the yard has done on it outside oil and filter. Would need gearbox and diff oil changing as I am not keen to have to fork out for that as soon as I bought it. I would say it would need an L2 inspection also, but you would have to take that on the chin.
E85 - 2006 3.0Si

Haggisman

Very tempted .....

Post by Haggisman » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:05 am

scarlet-jester wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:43 am
Spoke to Bill - he said buy it :D

If its still about next week and we are not in L3 lock-down, I am going to take it to my Inde for a once over. Key for me is what servicing the yard has done on it outside oil and filter. Would need gearbox and diff oil changing as I am not keen to have to fork out for that as soon as I bought it. I would say it would need an L2 inspection also, but you would have to take that on the chin.
Haha, I knew Bill would say that, he’s told me to ‘buy it’ when I’ve talked about certain cars. Personally, it’s a great colour and relatively low mileage, hard to tell the overall condition without seeing it but I would give it a really good check over and would assume that with no service history it would need a reasonable amount of cash set aside to go through the whole car with a decent service just for peace of mind. Who down there can check the valve clearance (shims). Bill may disagree with me and believe it is worth the punt. If you think that a NZ new M roadster with 20,000 Ky’s sold for just over $40K About 1 year ago +/_. However, things have moved on from there.
Cheers
2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Very tempted .....

Post by buzyg » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:30 am

Looks like a lovely car. A few choice mods. Definitely take it for a test drive. The result should seal you fait. :)

R60BBA

Very tempted .....

Post by R60BBA » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:58 pm

OP, I would avoid that car on the following basis:

- no service history
- bonnet/bumper gap is quite large and the grilles are from that of a non-M Z4...this would appear that the car has been front ended
- tyres appear to be Bridgestone Potenza's, which are mostly runflats...(they do come in non-run flats) but with the wheels being aftermarket why would the previous owner choose these tyres?...
- roof is tatty (could probably be revitalised with something like Lenovo), however from this you have to question about how the previous owner's have treated it...
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

Haggisman

Very tempted .....

Post by Haggisman » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:09 pm

R60BBA wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:58 pm OP, I would avoid that car on the following basis:

- no service history
- bonnet/bumper gap is quite large and the grilles are from that of a non-M Z4...this would appear that the car has been front ended
- tyres appear to be Bridgestone Potenza's, which are mostly runflats...(they do come in non-run flats) but with the wheels being aftermarket why would the previous owner choose these tyres?...
- roof is tatty (could probably be revitalised with something like Lenovo), however from this you have to question about how the previous owner's have treated it...
Would tend to agree that the car needs very close inspection re the points you have made. With these cars being very rare over here in NZ it is easy to be tempted when one comes up. I’ve only seen one pristine example here for sale in the last 2 years. The dealer who has this one also has another just arrived from Japan, both for sale at approx $35,000, about 17,500 Pounds. Most Jap imports here don’t have any service history so definitely need to keep cash aside for a complete service/ maintenance makeover for peace of mind. Importing one from the UK costs about $3500 in freight plus 15% tax and buying sight unseen though at least you can do due diligence re service history etc.
Just my personal obervations
2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car

srhutch

Very tempted .....

Post by srhutch » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:10 pm

R60BBA wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:58 pm OP, I would avoid that car on the following basis:

- no service history
The bumper just needs adjusting, no major issue. The roof appears to be the optional grey roof, doesn’t look tatty to me.

These are really rare in NZ I understand so the OP isn’t really spoilt for choice either.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Very tempted .....

Post by Smartbear » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:35 pm

Haggisman wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:09 pm

- no service history
Would tend to agree that the car needs very close inspection re the points you have made. With these cars being very rare over here in NZ it is easy to be tempted when one comes up. I’ve only seen one pristine example here for sale in the last 2 years. The dealer who has this one also has another just arrived from Japan, both for sale at approx $35,000, about 17,500 Pounds. Most Jap imports here don’t have any service history so definitely need to keep cash aside for a complete service/ maintenance makeover for peace of mind. Importing one from the UK costs about $3500 in freight plus 15% tax and buying sight unseen though at least you can do due diligence re service history etc.
If a car has no service history then giving it a service after purchase isn’t going to undo the damage that has potentially occurred during its earlier life.
If it’s gone over service intervals (or maybe never been serviced at all) there's possible consequences later down the line, especially with shim adjusted valve clearances :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

R60BBA

Very tempted .....

Post by R60BBA » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:40 pm

Fair enough.

But as per Rob you can’t polish a turd.

No service history on an M car? No chance!
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

Haggisman

Very tempted .....

Post by Haggisman » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:19 am

Smartbear wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:35 pm
Haggisman wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:09 pm

- no service history
If a car has no service history then giving it a service after purchase isn’t going to undo the damage that has potentially occurred during its earlier life.
If it’s gone over service intervals (or maybe never been serviced at all) there's possible consequences later down the line, especially with shim adjusted valve clearances :?
Rob
I agree entirely with what you say, I was trying to put some context round the possible purchase, it is certainly ‘buyer beware’ and you take your chances.
2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Very tempted .....

Post by BMWZ4MC » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:30 am

Haggisman wrote: ...Importing one from the UK costs about $3500 in freight plus 15% tax and buying sight unseen though at least you can do due diligence re service history etc...
What are the costs of importing from Aus? This sounds like it has been well cared for...and the wood can always be painted!

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/detail ... AD-5287323
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone