Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brake wear indicator - false reading?

"M" Specific discussion
R_P_M_

Post by R_P_M_ » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:12 pm

The wear indicator came on today and it's a puzzling one, pads and discs replaced all-around less than 6k ago, loads of meat on the pads that I can see. Is it at all likely one of the pads has worn on the inside side I can't see? I've no symptoms of a sticking caliper, sometimes I get a squeak when I reverse after the handbrake has been on, that's all. Is it unheard of for a sensor to break and give a false reading?
Current - Z4M Coupe, Ruby Black, Extended amarone, Copper bronze 224s, Eventuri carbon intake, BC Racing Coilovers, OEM strut brace, top spec including digital TV 8)

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:27 pm

Not a big job to remove the wheels (only need to remove 3 if you know which rear has the sensor) and check as it could be uneven wear or a faulty/broken sensor.

It is after all your brakes

R_P_M_

Post by R_P_M_ » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:38 pm

PDJ wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:27 pm Not a big job to remove the wheels (only need to remove 3 if you know which rear has the sensor) and check as it could be uneven wear or a faulty/broken sensor.

It is after all your brakes
It is if you don't have a jack or wrench with you unfortunately.
Current - Z4M Coupe, Ruby Black, Extended amarone, Copper bronze 224s, Eventuri carbon intake, BC Racing Coilovers, OEM strut brace, top spec including digital TV 8)

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:40 pm

Where are you in the country as I can help you out with that

R_P_M_

Post by R_P_M_ » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:47 pm

PDJ wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:40 pm Where are you in the country as I can help you out with that
Oh that's very kind of you, thanks. I'm up in Lancaster, meant to be at the national meet tomorrow :thumbsdown:

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:50 pm

I am in Eccles Greater Manchester

I am going to the National meeting tomorrow

Does that help you at all