Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight Bulb Replacement / OEM Colour Temp:

"M" Specific discussion
denimdick

Post by denimdick » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:34 pm

Hi guys,

I've not had my Z4MC long and not put many miles on the clock (life just seems to get in the way) but I've just lost the front passenger headlight bulb.

Looking on Euro Car Parts there are a number of (Xenon) bulbs listed at a range of prices - my questions are as follows:

i) Anyone know what the colour temperature of the OEM unit is?
ii) Do you think I could get away with changing just the one bulb or should I do both?
iii) Which one would you suggest / has anybody had experience with any of these brands?
iv) I might be tempting some lightbulb jokes here but is it an easy job to change the bulb?
I say this as on my previous Audi the whole of the front bumper had to come off in order to get to the bulb.

Thanks in advance.

Richard

MKZ4000

Post by MKZ4000 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:40 pm

I would just change the bulb that’s gone.

To gain access to the bulb holders, remove the back casing which is accessed in the wheel arch.

It helps to park the wheels at an angle.
BMW E85 Z4M
BMW E85 Z4 2.5
Gone Z4 E85 3.0

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:07 pm

I was getting a leaking headlamp washer sorted by Ross (Bowser134) on here soon after I bought my MC and he commented on my headlights not being a colour match.

Days later the yellow looking one failed!

As I had it booked in for an Inspection 2, based on a recommendation from someone on here I bought these:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

So I asked Ross to fit them while doing the service (I didn't really fancy trying myself) and although I have hardly driven it in the dark they seem very effective.

My thinking was replacing both would mean there would be no colour mis-match, plus I've got the working one that came out as a spare!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:26 pm

I'd change the pair, as you'll never get the same colour across the 2 bulbs - even if you buy the exact same make/brand/colour as you've already got.

The colour changes over time...probably takes 10 hours of use to get to the normal colour...which then last for about 1000 hours...and will start going blue/purple as they start to fail.

If you don't want the ice blue effect, then stay below 6000k, and above 4300k if you don't want any yellow.

You'll also lose some brightness out of the lights as the car ages, as the internal projector lens gets a coating of dust, and the outside of the headlight lens gets cloudy.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:02 am

Do them both, if ones gone the other won't be far behind :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:20 am

And try to make sure you get original Osrams. I heard there were many dodgy fakes out there.
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

beanie

Post by beanie » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:21 pm

I bought some Osram nightbreaker laser bulbs and they’re a good match for the oem colour.

Changing them is a bit of a fiddle but is doable without removing the wheel-I jacked each side up slightly to allow better access.
RUBYIMOLACARBON