Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

help! z4mc problem :(

"M" Specific discussion
Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:27 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:19 pm Where are you in Aus? I’d be happy to have a listen if you’re somewhere near.
The power of the Forum... :thumbsup:

Worse case maybe even a Facetime/Skype video call with BMWZ4MC:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

z4mcoupe

Post by z4mcoupe » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:47 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:19 pm2
Thanks so much. I’m in Melbourne. I can see from your signature you are in Sydney?
2007 Z4 M Coupe, Carbon Black

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:18 pm

z4mcoupe wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:25 am @MrPT - I’ll try and have a closer look today to see if I can get the car up on jacks to take a look, and also deeper into the engine bay. I’m guessing the mounts won’t be visible at a peek and I’ll have to go deep into the underside /engine bay to eyeball it
While the bushes in the mounts can perish, it’s actually the bolts that hold the mount to the engine block that are known to fail; the driver’s side especially. See this thread for more info.

On the plus side, it’s not as catastrophic a failure as it might sound (especially if the car is still drivable) and can often be fixed, in situ.
I’ll keep you guys updated. In the meantime this is my ride post the sad drive home...
Very nice. :thumbsup:
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:50 pm

z4mcoupe wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:47 pm
BMWZ4MC wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:19 pm2
Thanks so much. I’m in Melbourne. I can see from your signature you are in Sydney?
I am, so it’s a bit far to drop by!
It does sound like an engine mount bolt has failed though from what you’ve described.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

z4mcoupe

Post by z4mcoupe » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:46 am

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to provide an update to my issue and also thank everyone for providing their suggestions and online diagnosis! To those who called out the engine mount, bingo!

One of the engine mounts had the bolt completely missing from it. So it was assumed it wasn't torqued properly and eventually worked its way out. The other mount had the bolt head snap off which meant half the tread was inside one end. The conclusion there was that the second mount failed due to the extra stress of the first mount failing. That caused the engine to move slightly downward and forward, resting on the front cross member which caused the awful vibrations and resonance.

An inspection of the transmission mounts identified one of the two mounts being loosely secured and so was re-torqued.

All of this after another workshop installed new engine and transmission mounts in August 2019 (before I purchased the car) and the car only having travelling 1,000kms. I'll be having a word to this other workshop but I presume it will go nowhere especially as I'm in another state... I'm of the belief they should foot the bill for this and will be asking!

Back to enjoying the car once I pick it up on Monday.
2007 Z4 M Coupe, Carbon Black

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:02 am

It sounds like there was a lack of basic workshop protocol (mark or re-check critical fittings) by the original spanner monkey, probably scratching his balls or having a cup of tea half way through the job. I'd be checking my wheel nuts!

But now it's sorted :driving:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:11 am

The bolts coming loose in the engine mount to engine is a common S54 issue

BMW only want to see tight nuts when you get the repair bill

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:53 am

Z4M-2006 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:11 am

BMW only want to see tight nuts when you get the repair bill
:P
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:39 am

z4mcoupe wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:46 am Hi Everyone,

I wanted to provide an update to my issue and also thank everyone for providing their suggestions and online diagnosis! To those who called out the engine mount, bingo!

One of the engine mounts had the bolt completely missing from it. So it was assumed it wasn't torqued properly and eventually worked its way out. The other mount had the bolt head snap off which meant half the tread was inside one end. The conclusion there was that the second mount failed due to the extra stress of the first mount failing. That caused the engine to move slightly downward and forward, resting on the front cross member which caused the awful vibrations and resonance.

An inspection of the transmission mounts identified one of the two mounts being loosely secured and so was re-torqued.

All of this after another workshop installed new engine and transmission mounts in August 2019 (before I purchased the car) and the car only having travelling 1,000kms. I'll be having a word to this other workshop but I presume it will go nowhere especially as I'm in another state... I'm of the belief they should foot the bill for this and will be asking!

Back to enjoying the car once I pick it up on Monday.
So I can avoid them, if the other workshop was in NSW can you post their name or send it to me via a PM please.

Glad you got it sorted relatively painlessly :driving:
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone