Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bi-xenon troubleshooting

"M" Specific discussion
Babw

Bi-xenon troubleshooting

Post by Babw » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:10 pm

I had what could be called a minor flood in my OS front bi-xenon headlight. Bumper off, headlight out, dismantled and dried in the airing cupboard. I think the rear seal had perished which was allowing water ingress.

After assembling and installing the headlight fires up however there is an initial orange colouring which from the main beam which fades into the usual white to match the other headlight.

Is this a sign a component maybe failing? I've ordered some new bulbs as I was planning an upgrade anyway but I'd rather replace the ignitor/ballast while the bumper is off if they need doing.

Appreciate any input.

RedUn

Bi-xenon troubleshooting

Post by RedUn » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:45 pm

Normally when xenon bulbs start to get old the kelvin goes up so essentially they start becoming more blue/purple.

Orange sounds like a ballast to me but I've never had that issue, maybe someone has who can confirm though?

Maybe swap left to right and see if the problem follows?
IMOLA Z4///MR

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Bi-xenon troubleshooting

Post by mmm-five » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:54 am

If there's been water in the headlight, then it's more than possible that that you'll find a little pond in the ballasts - as they sit directly below the headlight and act as a water butt.

Mine were full to the brim when I opened them up. I don't know why BMW thought it would be the idead place to put electronics.

At least you can buy new ones fairly cheaply online, as it seems to be the same Hella ballast (5DV 008 290-00) used by multiple manufacturers.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Babw

Bi-xenon troubleshooting

Post by Babw » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:56 pm

Thanks for the input fellas.

I’ve ordered some new bulbs, ballasts, igniters and rear seals to renew everything. Should hopefully get my by for another 13 years.