Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

1st Feb , , 1st drive in 4th ZMR / thoughts

"M" Specific discussion
mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:45 pm

greg81 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:31 pm
mr wilks wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:04 am
Porsche ownership is a strange one, very special cars to own (especially the 911) but there is a noticeable paranioa weighing on the mind :(
This is precisely why I wouldn't touch an older 911. :(
Then you will miss out on owning what must be one of the quintessential sports cars of the past 20-40 years .
Ive had a 964 , 996 & the 997 , cracking on either mway speed or in the bends there is little to mirror the feel of a flat 6 pushing you from behind :driving: i really can't imagine the same from a 4 pot turbo version :cry:
As for which model you buy ? Unless its new or at least within a OPC warranty it doesn't really matter which Porsche you buy :| the paranoia comes with the brand :oops:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

greg81

Post by greg81 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:50 pm

Oh I have no doubt the 911 is an experience for sure but I just don't have the constitution for it.

Newer, with a long warranty just works better for disappointingly weak self :D

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:57 pm

greg81 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:50 pm Oh I have no doubt the 911 is an experience for sure but I just don't have the constitution for it.

I totally get that , the paranoia is real , you just learn to live with it :cry: a bit like poking your arm through the bars to feed a lion :P
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

greg81

Post by greg81 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:07 pm

mr wilks wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:57 pm
greg81 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:50 pm Oh I have no doubt the 911 is an experience for sure but I just don't have the constitution for it.

I totally get that , the paranoia is real , you just learn to live with it :cry: a bit like poking your arm through the bars to feed a lion :P
Maybe one day I'll be man enough!

JoshsZ4M

Post by JoshsZ4M » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:36 am

mr wilks wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:04 am
JoshsZ4M wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:30 am Nice one mr wilks, looks great in that colour/wheel combo! What prompted the move from the 997, purely out of interest? I love my MR and wouldn’t call it this at all... but to a non car nut some might see it as a backward step?
Without question its a backward step, similar year, similar miles similar na power but totally different machines.
The 997 the best all round weekend car I've owned, every minute memorable & just so easy to get on with.
The ZM by comparison is gruff & rudimentary in every department , you really have to wrestle the best from them.
Regrets switching? No not really.
It wasn't planned or intended but this ZM wafted under my nose with a few issues to sort , ive enjoyed my previous ones so bought it.
Porsche ownership is a strange one, very special cars to own (especially the 911) but there is a noticeable paranioa weighing on the mind :( only really apparent watching the new owner drive away in the C4 , I looked on with a bigger feeling of relief than regret if that makes sense :? Happy that I enjoyed 3000miles in the 7 months & only spent on a interim oil change.
As for what's next when time comes :wink: not a clue right now :oops:
I hear you completely. I know I’ll never sell my Z now (of my own freewill anyway), but if I ever end up being lucky enough to dry store two cars, I feel like a 997 is an itch I’ll need to scratch. I think you’re right that the worry of an extremely expensive bill can cause anxieties which shouldn’t occur with enjoying a weekend/fun car.

Good luck with the new one and hope to catch you at a meet sometime! 👍
Current -

-2003 TVR Cerbera AJPV8 :driving:
-1986 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Avant

Gone - 2006 ///MR, Interlagos blue with extended black leather

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:06 am

Drove a gt3RS around DXB atrodrome a few months back again on the club circuit. Such a nice car.. soo nice.. but soo different from the z4m..

I didnt push it /that/ hard as it was my mates car, but holy smokes, soo easy to drive, i had quicker lap times in this thing after 2 laps than ive ever had in my Z4m, and i got out of the thing like i went for a sunday stroll (yeah you can call me cool hand Luke) :rofl:

The Z4m, on the other hand, is hard to drive, it punishes you for every little mistake you make, and it punishes you hard. i get out of my car after 6 laps and i feel ive just gone 6 rounds with Mike Tyson, T shirt (and undies) soaked with sweat beacuse your physically wresteling the car around EVERY corner. and when you get it right... its so rewarding (but still slower lap times than my mate who cant drive for s**t) and you get out of the car with a grin that you cant wipe from your face for the next 2 days. Its like that fightclub, its your own little secret that you dont wanna share with anyone else.

Lol, my friend thinks he is a super good driver, and the RS is just /THAT/ good, it will make a sh***y driver feel like a F1 champ, seriously the car /IS/ that good, and if you get it new, its backed by thier warrenty that even covers the engine while on track.. no one else does that.. no one... the 911/977 platform is just /THAT/ good.. Its an awesome package and would absolutely be unbeatable if you get someone in it who can actually peddle. If i had room for another car in my shed, id for sure as s**t buy a GT2.. without a doubt, for mixed road/track use id buy that all day long , every day.. without a doubt..

The Z4m however, even though my lap times are slower than my mate, leaves you feeling with a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction, esp if you get a lap or 2 in there with it all just comes together.. yes its hard work, fer sure, and yes, it will try to kill you if you dont watch ourt what your doing or have a momentary slip of your concentration, but if both cars would be available to peddle around the track, id get in my Z4m over the gt3rs anytime.

(I have to also make mention of something else that stood out, the PDK in the 911, is just UTTERLY AMAZING, it really is a work of art to behold and to use.. i seriously couldent fault the car, its flawless, maybe a little too flawless thats the only thing...)

Andy, congrats on the new car mate, she looks awesome. very nice package that roady. oh and again, welcome back, even though you never left :D
Love the aero and the black OEMS mate, it looks prime. :thumbsup:
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3
Powered by Severn Tuning

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:03 am

Vanne, have a go in a 996 RS if you ever get the chance, they are like the z4m on steroids and not easy to drive quick at all :thumbsup:

In my opinion, the newer RS models although hugely accomplished and aggressive looking don't drive like an RS, you can drive them down a b road without risk of dieing, what's all thst about! :o
IMOLA Z4///MR

TonyS993

Post by TonyS993 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:37 pm

Hi Guys,
Enjoyed the thread; I'm a relative new member who said hello when I got my MC in October time but haven't posted since. I agree with the 'visceral / raw' statement having come from a 997 turbo. Amazing car if you want check your emails in silence at 135 mph but outside of the out and out performance / engineering at slow speeds it does nothing to stir the senses. I looked at sports exhaust but Porsche warranty put pay to that. Moving on it was a toss-up between a 997 GTS and the MC and I'm loving the rawness of the MC. My wife had a 3 ltr roadster then coupe, the last some five years ago - we had amazing fun in both, always loved the shape of the coupe hence the MC.
Main reason for this response is the mention of the carbon air box. Mentioned are the Gruppe, Geoff Steele+alpha-n, Eventuri and CA Technologies(?). I'm really interested in opinions of what is best to go for - I prefer induction over exhaust, better sound (IMO) and increased noise with revs as opposed to exhaust, which is there from the get-go.
I'm sure this has been debated many times before so happy to be pointed to another thread if applicable - thanks.
Hoping to contribute more going forward, and to meet some of you guys in the future.
Tony

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:49 pm

TonyS993 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:37 pm Hi Guys,
Enjoyed the thread; I'm a relative new member who said hello when I got my MC in October time but haven't posted since. I agree with the 'visceral / raw' statement having come from a 997 turbo. Amazing car if you want check your emails in silence at 135 mph but outside of the out and out performance / engineering at slow speeds it does nothing to stir the senses. I looked at sports exhaust but Porsche warranty put pay to that. Moving on it was a toss-up between a 997 GTS and the MC and I'm loving the rawness of the MC. My wife had a 3 ltr roadster then coupe, the last some five years ago - we had amazing fun in both, always loved the shape of the coupe hence the MC.
Main reason for this response is the mention of the carbon air box. Mentioned are the Gruppe, Geoff Steele+alpha-n, Eventuri and CA Technologies(?). I'm really interested in opinions of what is best to go for - I prefer induction over exhaust, better sound (IMO) and increased noise with revs as opposed to exhaust, which is there from the get-go.
I'm sure this has been debated many times before so happy to be pointed to another thread if applicable - thanks.
Hoping to contribute more going forward, and to meet some of you guys in the future.
Tony
Glad you have taken to the S54 , the induction is a big part of it , my own experience is limited to the Eventuri & GruppeM ( £600-£750) , of the two i would choose the Gruppe , the other choices you mention require the budget to be significantly higher .
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:54 pm

Vanne wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:06 am
Andy, congrats on the new car mate, she looks awesome. very nice package that roady. oh and again, welcome back, even though you never left :D
Thanks mate , enjoying it so far :driving: the black 224s ive done as a temporary measure whilst i have the CSLs refurbed & source some rubber for them .
Ins2 this week should pick up any other issues that need sorting , backboxes are in the frame too then its just more miles & more smiles :)
Had a swift 30 min outing today before the rain kicked in again :cry:
Attachments
Screenshot_20200209-172704-01.jpeg
Screenshot_20200209-172704-01.jpeg (252.48 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Haggisman

Post by Haggisman » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:49 pm

RedUn wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:03 am Vanne, have a go in a 996 RS if you ever get the chance, they are like the z4m on steroids and not easy to drive quick at all :thumbsup:

In my opinion, the newer RS models although hugely accomplished and aggressive looking don't drive like an RS, you can drive them down a b road without risk of dieing, what's all thst about! :o
Completely agree. I owned a 1992 964 RS for about 6 years after some earlier 911’s. I had the opportunity to drive the 996 RS and early gt3 RS on the track when I owned that car and IMO the 964 was the last of the RS’s that required real skill and experience to get the best out of it without disappearing into a hedge. I havn’t yet had the opportunity to drive a Z4M but get the feeling that the experience would be similar.
Yes, modern 9ll’s and indeed any modern water cooled Porsche are amazing vehicles that have evolved into incredible machines that allow a person of modest skill look very good indeed. A long way from the so called widow maker 1980 Turbo.
At least the Z4 M can provide much of the thrill of the air cooled 911’s at a fraction of the cost.
2003 Toledo Blue 3.0 E85 Manual
2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car
2020 Kia Sportage GT - Her Indoor’s Car
1995 Dakar Yellow M3 E36 Race Car - Sold
2009 Vauxhall Astra VXR - Sold
2003 350Z well modded - Sold
1992 911 RS - Sold and still in mourning

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:49 pm

TonyS993 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:37 pm Hi Guys,
Tony
Welcome Tony :thumbsup:
Understand exactly, they are just too good which makes them plain unless your on the autobahn and even then like you say, 170 is just a game of guessing who's going to pull out infront of you again, it soon gets boring :headbang:

Any how, there's two types of carbon airbox people talk about, the gruppe m or eventuri from evolve is a replacement for the std airbox, plug and play, sounds great, no real power it's just for the noise.

Or if you want to go the whole hog, there's a CSL style airbox that requires mapping, main ones are evolve, karbonious and Geoff Steele, probably 4x the money but 2x the noise and supposedly around 20 ponies mid range.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:52 pm

Haggisman wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:49 pm
RedUn wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:03 am Vanne, have a go in a 996 RS if you ever get the chance, they are like the z4m on steroids and not easy to drive quick at all :thumbsup:

Completely agree. I owned a 1992 964 RS for about 6 years after some earlier 911’s. I had the opportunity to drive the 996 RS and early gt3 RS on the track when I owned that car and IMO the 964 was the last of the RS’s that required real skill and experience to get the best out of it without disappearing into a hedge. I havn’t yet had the opportunity to drive a Z4M but get the feeling that the experience would be similar.
Yes, modern 9ll’s and indeed any modern water cooled Porsche are amazing vehicles that have evolved into incredible machines that allow a person of modest skill look very good indeed. A long way from the so called widow maker 1980 Turbo.
At least the Z4 M can provide much of the thrill of the air cooled 911’s at a fraction of the cost.
A good friend has a 964 RS it's stunning 8)
I think you'd like the Z4M from what you have said, if you do get to have a drive try and find one with with some decent suspension, the oem setup is absolutely terrible and probably to blame why some people just don't 'get it'

Sorry to MrWilks for the huge thread detour... I'll be quiet now :|
IMOLA Z4///MR

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:58 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:54 pm
Vanne wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:06 am
Thanks mate , enjoying it so far :driving: the black 224s ive done as a temporary measure whilst i have the CSLs refurbed & source some rubber for them .
Ins2 this week should pick up any other issues that need sorting , backboxes are in the frame too then its just more miles & more smiles :)
Had a swift 30 min outing today before the rain kicked in again :cry:
Looking good! Road to Settle? Looks like Pendle in the background :thumbsup:

Where you going for the inspection 2?
IMOLA Z4///MR

TonyS993

Post by TonyS993 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:29 pm

Thanks for responses to my post. A bit more on the carbon air boxes if I may - taking on board the difference in costs, and not wanting to spend more than I need to, what are the differences between the evolve / Karbonious / Geoff Steele, which one of these would you guys go for?
Also, respecting they sound great and that's why I want one, does the sound ever get too much if on motorways or a longer journey? Assuming the sound builds with the revs so at tick-over or cruising at 3000 rpm not an issue?
Thanks in advance!
Tony