Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mr Tidy's MC Thread - 4 Years On!

"M" Specific discussion
Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Mr Tidy's MC Thread - Major Progress.

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:23 pm

Well my car was booked into RBM Hampshire for an Inspection 2 on 7 April but given how things are now I didn't see me driving it 10 miles or so could be considered in any way essential as I'm not a key-worker - I'm not actually a worker at all! :lol:

Anyway it seems Ross only lives up the road from me, so we made some arrangements and he picked it up yesterday morning on his way to work (obviously observing all the social distancing etiquette including gloves, sanitiser and hand washing) and he left his car at my house.

Ross noticed a few extra items and kept me updated with photos as well. The RTAB bushes were starting to split, so I opted for Powerflex polybush replacements. The engine chain tensioner was leaking so that got replaced and I needed a new Vanos filter. He also fitted the Osram Cool Blue headlamp bulbs I had bought after we discovered a few weeks back that one of mine was failing (it died a week later) and I figured he could swap them much easier on a lift than me lying on the ground! it also had coolant and brake fluid changed as well as the CDV taken out. He also has a sample of a litre of the oil that came out for an analysis to see if it looks like the crank rod bearing shells are wearing - fingers crossed on that!

He checked the valve clearances this morning and found that 5 of them were outside acceptable tolerances so 5 new shims went in.

To be fair I was expecting a few extras now it is on 77k miles as according to the service book it last had valve clearances checked when it had an Inspection 1 in July 2013 at 48K miles, although it has stamps for 3 oil services after that.

So once completed Ross e-mailed me the invoice and I paid online then he brought it back and collected his car, so again we could keep suitably distant, etc.

But having driven it he agreed the H & R coil-overs are very firm. He said it felt like it would be great on a track, but a bit stiff for English back roads and probably pretty tiring on a long run. Now I just need to wait until I can do a long run before I make a decision, but I'm starting to think fitting the Eibach springs it came with and buying a set of Bilstein dampers may make it more usable for an oldie like myself! Then hopefully I could sell the coil-overs.

Anyway I am really pleased it has had the TLC I knew it needed when I bought it, so will be using it occasionally for essential shopping trips but parking it as defensively as possible.

Finally I've added some photos seeing as this is z4forum after all! Starting with the manky looking gearbox oil coming out, the new and old engine chain tensioner and a before and after RTAB.
Attachments
Gearbox Oil Change 160420.jpg
Gearbox Oil Change 160420.jpg (174.05 KiB) Viewed 2269 times
Engine Chain Tensioner 170420.jpg
Engine Chain Tensioner 170420.jpg (178.86 KiB) Viewed 2269 times
Old RTAB 170420.jpg
Old RTAB 170420.jpg (151.54 KiB) Viewed 2269 times
New RTAB 170420.jpg
New RTAB 170420.jpg (142.25 KiB) Viewed 2269 times
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:11 am

Coming along nicely Mr T. :thumbsup:

RichieP

Post by RichieP » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:48 am

Great work Mr T, I got an the oil analyser kit from Miller oil, it gives you a great peace of mind, also Miller gives you the running mileage left on your current oil, I now feel this is my service point, I’m hopefully going to fit some Bilstein B16 in the future, I’m just waiting until the 25% Bilstein Summer Sale :thumbsup:
2008 Z4MC SG/Imola / Hel brake lines / Pagid RS29 / Strong Strut / VT mounts / Carbon trim / stubby.

z4pilot

Post by z4pilot » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:58 am

If you are concerned about the lack of comfort of the suspension, I'm curious as to why you've fitted poly bushes which general consensus says increase harshness?
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:22 pm

z4pilot wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:58 am If you are concerned about the lack of comfort of the suspension, I'm curious as to why you've fitted poly bushes which general consensus says increase harshness?
I know, I've read the same about polybushes, but I had to decide quickly so Ross could order them before close of business if they were going to arrive the next day! And I'm sure I've also read that because they don't flex they keep the geometry closer to how it was designed.

In any case I can't see them being making a big difference with my current spring set-up, but will find out next time I take it out - to the shops! :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:04 pm

How come the entire tensioner was changed out of interest? Couldn't just the o-ring have been replaced if it was leaking?
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:33 pm

Good question - one I didn't think to ask at the time. :roll:

But seeing as it was Ross doing the work I imagine there was a good reason! And after 77K miles a new one can't do any harm.
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:49 pm

Great work Mr. T!
Before I sold my Z4MC I was in the process of doing the same H&R to Bilstein B12 on advice from here, and judging by some of the feedback I'm sure you'll be happier on the softer setup, the H&Rs were great when driven in anger on smooth roads, but absolute killers on bumpy B roads, my back can still feel the jolts on a cold night!
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

bowser134

Post by bowser134 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:56 pm

AndyBeech wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:04 pm How come the entire tensioner was changed out of interest? Couldn't just the o-ring have been replaced if it was leaking?
We always check the chain tensioner as good practice before recommending just the o-ring or the compete tensioner as we’ve seen a few where they start to stick or have a weak piston. This one was sticking so we recommended replacing the complete tensioner to prevent any future problems arising.

bowser134

Post by bowser134 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:05 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:22 pm
z4pilot wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:58 am If you are concerned about the lack of comfort of the suspension, I'm curious as to why you've fitted poly bushes which general consensus says increase harshness?
I know, I've read the same about polybushes, but I had to decide quickly so Ross could order them before close of business if they were going to arrive the next day! And I'm sure I've also read that because they don't flex they keep the geometry closer to how it was designed.

In any case I can't see them being making a big difference with my current spring set-up, but will find out next time I take it out - to the shops! :roll:
We’ve fitted lots of the Powerflex RTAB to Z4’s and E46 M3’s and everyone has raved about the difference without any complaints about ride/noise. Other bushes on these vehicles we would normally fit standard if it’s not being tracked but find the RTAB in Powerflex are a worthwhile upgrade for both handling and durability.

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:15 pm

bowser134 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:56 pm
AndyBeech wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:04 pm How come the entire tensioner was changed out of interest? Couldn't just the o-ring have been replaced if it was leaking?
We always check the chain tensioner as good practice before recommending just the o-ring or the compete tensioner as we’ve seen a few where they start to stick or have a weak piston. This one was sticking so we recommended replacing the complete tensioner to prevent any future problems arising.
Fair enough matey :thumbsup:
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

meesteryan

Post by meesteryan » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:11 pm

That is a beautiful car :)
Are the CSLs 18" or 19"?
And how has that setup been working, is it ok at those heights?
Current: 2006 3.0si roadster
Previous: E36 318is, E91 320D Touring, F32 435i, a S1 Lotus Elise 135 plus loads of other sh1te :D

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:00 pm

Although they are Replicas they are exactly the same sizes and offsets as genuine ones, so they are 19s.

For the couple of hundred miles I've been able to do since the spacers came off and the coil-overs were wound as high as they go they have been fine with no rubbing.
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

abar121

Post by abar121 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:50 pm

How much droop travel do you have left on the coil-overs after topping them out?

Too little can be pretty disastrous for both ride and handling.

Have you tried to slack off the damping, particularly compression? Or tried different springs with them?
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:14 pm

Good question, and being a newbie to all this sort of stuff I had to look it up. :roll: And the simple answer is I don't know how much droop travel I have!

I'm inclined to think the ride is firmer than I want for a long trip although I don't think it is any worse than when the car was lower, but of course I haven't been able to do a long trip, although the handling seems very good.

I haven't tried other springs on these shocks. In the event I do decide to use the Eibach springs that came with the car I'd get a set of Bilstein or KW dampers (recommendations welcome) so the coil-overs remain a complete kit.
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black