Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Plenum chamber pipe clips

"M" Specific discussion
mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:16 pm

Hi , have to fit a new starter to the MC, as many will know its buried underneath the plenom (airbox) have bought the correct circular clips to use when refitting the box to the 6 rubber pipes that connect it to the throttle bodies, does anybody know what the special tool is that I need to release the old clips and then tighten the new ones. Is it BMW
Specific or a generic type that I can buy somewhere ? Many thanks πŸ‘ ps didnt want to just use jubilee clips for the sake of originality.

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:54 am

Depends how much you want to faff, some decent needle nose pliers will work, or some pipe grips that aren't worn.

Or for 20 quid get some clip pliers they'll work.

Or buy the bmw tool for 100 :?
IMOLA Z4///MR

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:08 am

RedUn wrote: ↑Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:54 am Depends how much you want to faff, some decent needle nose pliers will work, or some pipe grips that aren't worn.

Ha, yeah it's a hateful job with pliers but it will work, eventually! What I've used the times I've done it. Just need a bit of time and patience as there's 2 or 3 which are obscured by the pipework which are a total bastard. You can reuse the clips as long as you haven't demolished them getting them off, which again is easy to do for a few of them and how much of a rush you are in! Frustration can lead to flathead screwdriver rage and just prizing them off.

As RedUn suggested, wouldn't waste your money on special tools. Just invest in patience and a beer to calm you down when the inevitable rage happens! Satisfying when they do clip in though! :thumbsup:

While your there, I can recommend giving the throttle bodies and linkages a clean down if you've not done it a while. Also worth taking the idle control valve off and giving that a blast of throttle body cleaner, get some of the gunk out.
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

philipw

Post by philipw » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:56 am

A long angled needle nosed pliers is all you need. I have removed mine a few times now and it takes a max of a few mins to remove/reinstall the clips.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
08 Carbon Black M Coupe

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:35 am

Have done mine well removed them and just used a mix of small normal pliers and long nose pliers and a small terminal screw driver to help release the clip about half an hour to remove the air box.

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:51 pm

RedUn wrote: ↑Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:54 am Depends how much you want to faff, some decent needle nose pliers will work, or some pipe grips that aren't worn.
100πŸ˜±πŸ‘

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:52 pm

PDJ wrote: ↑Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:35 am Have done mine well removed them and just used a mix of small normal pliers and long nose pliers and a small terminal screw driver to help release the clip about half an hour to remove the air box.
many thanks πŸ‘

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:53 pm

philipw wrote: ↑Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:56 am A long angled needle nosed pliers is all you need. I have removed mine a few times now and it takes a max of a few mins to remove/reinstall the clips.πŸ‘

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:03 pm

AndyBeech wrote: ↑Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:08 am

Ha, yeah it's a hateful job with pliers but it will work, eventually! What I've used the times I've done it. Just need a bit of time and patience as there's 2 or 3 which are obscured by the pipework which are a total bastard. You can reuse the clips as long as you haven't demolished them getting them off, which again is easy to do for a few of them and how much of a rush you are in! Frustration can lead to flathead screwdriver rage and just prizing them off.

As RedUn suggested, wouldn't waste your money on special tools. Just invest in patience and a beer to calm you down when the inevitable rage happens! Satisfying when they do clip in though! :thumbsup:

While your there, I can recommend giving the throttle bodies and linkages a clean down if you've not done it a while. Also worth taking the idle control valve off and giving that a blast of throttle body cleaner, get some of the gunk out.
AndyBeech wrote:

philipw

Post by philipw » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:28 pm

The first time I removed it, I followed this guide. See 1 min 20 secs for the clips, needle nosed pliers (longer the better for leverage) and flathead makes it easy. I removed the fuel rail as well for access - its only two 10mm bolts.

08 Carbon Black M Coupe

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:58 pm

Just ordered 4 clips will be re using the best 2 and keeping 2 as spares cost from BMW less than Β£3.00 each next day delivery.

In the video he only shows you doing the easy 2 the others are just fiddley.

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:24 pm

philipw wrote: ↑Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:28 pm The first time I removed it, I followed this guide. See 1 min 20 secs for the clips, needle nosed pliers (longer the better for leverage) and flathead makes it easy. I removed the fuel rail as well for access - its only two 10mm bolts.

great video, thanks for thatπŸ‘

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:48 pm

You dont need to take off the airbox to change the starter motor on an M car

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:43 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote: ↑Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:48 pm You dont need to take off the airbox to change the starter motor on an M car
Wow! Tell me moreπŸ‘May have a go myself as an indy just quoted 300 quid. Another ex bmw tech reckoned he may be able to wangle it out from underneath. Some sat cabin filter and coolant expansion tank needs moving too.
Would be grateful for any advice on best way to go about it. πŸ‘

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:56 pm

You can get to the bolts by reaching down onto the bellhousing.

The plenum can stay in position,you have enough space to get it out.

Its not a difficult job,just a bid fiddly