Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suspension Upgrade Advice

"M" Specific discussion
AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:21 pm

If you look more generally for the Bilstein's on other similar cars there's plenty of people running them with no issues, same with KW's. The usual 'you only hear when people have problems' applies so you have to weigh up stuff you hear on the internet. On the basis of that can't see a lot to choose between the Bilstein and KW offerings. Apart from a small(ish) difference in cost (£300-400) and KW have better adjustability if you want that.

Anyway, I've pulled the trigger on the Bilstein's, I'll post up with thoughts when I get them fitted next year. I'm getting a total undercarriage refresh after 95k miles on standard stuff so probably not a fair comparison though!
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:09 pm

AndyBeech wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:21 pm Anyway, I've pulled the trigger on the Bilstein's, I'll post up with thoughts when I get them fitted next year. I'm getting a total undercarriage refresh after 95k miles on standard stuff so probably not a fair comparison though!
Nice! £350 is a significant amount of money and I agree you'll never be able to get to the bottom of the KW vs Bilstein reliability debate via forum anecdotes.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

beanie

Post by beanie » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:16 pm

MrPT and BMWZ4MC- that’s good to know. Far too often you just get fobbed off once you’ve paid your money.

Andy-regardless of how much is replaced, it will be good to hear your thoughts on them. Who’s doing the refresh, out of interest?
RUBYIMOLACARBON

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:04 pm

MrPT wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:09 pm
AndyBeech wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:21 pm Anyway, I've pulled the trigger on the Bilstein's, I'll post up with thoughts when I get them fitted next year. I'm getting a total undercarriage refresh after 95k miles on standard stuff so probably not a fair comparison though!
Nice! £350 is a significant amount of money and I agree you'll never be able to get to the bottom of the KW vs Bilstein reliability debate via forum anecdotes.
Yeah got quite a good deal on the Bilstein's so we'll see how they go! They've got a lifetime warranty so apart from the faff of getting them off the car *if* something goes wrong, they are fairly well covered in that respect.

Beanie - I'll certainly do a thread once it goes in for the work. Making my eyes water a bit thinking how much I've spent on parts over the last few months for the refresh...deffo into a good thousand or so and that's without the suspension included but it's time to bite the bullet and give it some pampering. Pretty much gathered all the parts myself for an Insp 2 plus general refresh, hopefully will save a bit on labour as a lot of stuff checked on the Insp 2 is getting replaced but in no illusions that it's probably going to be a good few thousand again in labour...and then some potentially (still considering doing the head gasket as preventative...).

Likely getting Darragh at Everything M3 to do the work. Although we've not talked costs yet I can imagine he'll offer as good value as anywhere else plus you have more of a personal touch with the work that don't get with some other bigger garages (hopefully he'll let me hang around a bit and get involved with some of the work!).
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

beanie

Post by beanie » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:16 pm

It will all be worth it in the end and it’s bound to feel great when it’s done.

I always look at these costs compared to the depreciation on something newer. One way or another you’ve got to spend, but it’s far nicer buying parts than seeing the money evaporate!

I’ve only heard good things about Everything M3 so you should be in good hands :thumbsup:
RUBYIMOLACARBON

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:24 pm

beanie wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:16 pm It will all be worth it in the end and it’s bound to feel great when it’s done.

I always look at these costs compared to the depreciation on something newer. One way or another you’ve got to spend, but it’s far nicer buying parts than seeing the money evaporate!

I’ve only heard good things about Everything M3 so you should be in good hands :thumbsup:
Cheers, I hope so! :thumbsup: You are right of course, should be better than new at least undercarriage wise when it's done. Still have nightmares paying £16 for one diff bolt though, honestly never knew a few bolts and fixings could cost so much, cheers BMW :lol:

Darragh's a good guy, did my rod bearings, knows his stuff for sure!

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:03 pm

Look forward to the review, make sure to get the geo done properly to make the most of them :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:51 pm

RedUn wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:03 pm Look forward to the review, make sure to get the geo done properly to make the most of them :thumbsup:
Certainly will, when I can find someone decent in the South to do it! Not had the best experience with some of the hunter alignment guys down this way so far....

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:47 am

AndyBeech wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:51 pm
RedUn wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:03 pm Look forward to the review, make sure to get the geo done properly to make the most of them :thumbsup:
Certainly will, when I can find someone decent in the South to do it! Not had the best experience with some of the hunter alignment guys down this way so far....
I know an excellent place, bit of a drive mind just outside Birmingham... :thumbsup: they use Beissbarth too 8)

Let me know if your interested and I'll PM details :)
IMOLA Z4///MR

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:08 am

Not heard of that but sounds interesting! Place called Wheels in Motion (or Blackboots) in Chesham are supposed to be very good. Guy called Tony Bones who works there knows his stuff from what I've read so that's on my list but having other options can't hurt!

Matt.13

Post by Matt.13 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:41 am

AndyBeech wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:08 am Not heard of that but sounds interesting! Place called Wheels in Motion (or Blackboots) in Chesham are supposed to be very good. Guy called Tony Bones who works there knows his stuff from what I've read so that's on my list but having other options can't hurt!
I have used wim twice, first time I had Tony working on the car and he done a really good job. Second time I had someone else do it and after 90 mins I was told I would have to come back and it was work in progress and by the way your bill is £160, the car drove like a dog on the way home. Fair to say I never went back. Since then I have used wheel power in brockley and more recently Scott’s performance in dartford who done a great job on my coupe.
2nd gear sideways

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:47 pm

AndyBeech wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:08 am Not heard of that but sounds interesting! Place called Wheels in Motion (or Blackboots) in Chesham are supposed to be very good. Guy called Tony Bones who works there knows his stuff from what I've read so that's on my list but having other options can't hurt!
I know about them but never used them, my mate did and he seemed happy though.

I use Chris Franklin at centre gravity, he's an absolute master, first used him in 2006, used him ever since :thumbsup:

Edit to add, he's not cheap but his corner weighting and geo is 2nd to none
IMOLA Z4///MR

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:05 pm

MrPT wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:01 pm I should caveat the note re the rear springs - I don’t actually know whether the “thunk” is a genuine hard stop in the suspension or whether it’s just the coils becoming unbound on extension (and hammering the chassis). I suspect it’s the latter but need to do some experiments to find out.
B00DF697-E662-4B1C-A1FD-C6142C00DEE4.jpeg
B00DF697-E662-4B1C-A1FD-C6142C00DEE4.jpeg (296.76 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
Sorted! Went out today and smashed the sh!t out of every local pothole and humpback bridge. Now totally silent over everything. 8)

There were actually a few, quieter “clinking” noises back there before that I’d assumed were the boot trim but must have been coil slap as they’re gone now. Happy days... I suspect they will go to full soft (bump) at the back without ever bottoming out now. The occasional “thunk” was just the coils unbinding.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

RWDKurt

Post by RWDKurt » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:57 pm

Argenta wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:17 am Easypeasy - Eibach Pro springs.
Lower & much better ride, and cheap as chips.
I have this setup - I know these things are highly subjective but the ride is still pretty firm for UK roads - especially up North. Like the OP I am also considering coilovers. At the risk of committing heresy, I'm seriously tempted to try BCs. I have personal experience of them on other cars, and despite their low cost they seem well made and perform well.

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:51 pm

RWDKurt wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:57 pm
Argenta wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:17 am Easypeasy - Eibach Pro springs.
Lower & much better ride, and cheap as chips.
I have this setup - I know these things are highly subjective but the ride is still pretty firm for UK roads - especially up North. Like the OP I am also considering coilovers. At the risk of committing heresy, I'm seriously tempted to try BCs. I have personal experience of them on other cars, and despite their low cost they seem well made and perform well.
I've no clue about BCs but a twin tube damper is what you want for road manners :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR