Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suspension Upgrade Advice

"M" Specific discussion
AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:08 pm

MrPT wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:05 pm
MrPT wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:01 pm I should caveat the note re the rear springs - I don’t actually know whether the “thunk” is a genuine hard stop in the suspension or whether it’s just the coils becoming unbound on extension (and hammering the chassis). I suspect it’s the latter but need to do some experiments to find out.
B00DF697-E662-4B1C-A1FD-C6142C00DEE4.jpeg

Sorted! Went out today and smashed the sh!t out of every local pothole and humpback bridge. Now totally silent over everything. 8)

There were actually a few, quieter “clinking” noises back there before that I’d assumed were the boot trim but must have been coil slap as they’re gone now. Happy days... I suspect they will go to full soft (bump) at the back without ever bottoming out now. The occasional “thunk” was just the coils unbinding.
Interesting, at risk of sounding stupid though how did you fix this?
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

RWDKurt

Post by RWDKurt » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:09 pm

[/quote]
I've no clue about BCs but a twin tube damper is what you want for road manners :thumbsup:
[/quote]

I think BCs are monotube, but empirically they perform very well for the price in my experience.

it might be worth checking out how this owner is finding his BCs after a few more months of use:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=101724&start=45

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:53 pm

AndyBeech wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:08 pm Interesting, at risk of sounding stupid though how did you fix this?
Not stupid - I realise I didn’t actually say what it is. :roll:

It’s plastic cable tidy, the stuff used in offices, wrapped loosely around each rear spring. I saw the suggestion on another forum in relation to coil noise (slap) and wondered whether it would also stop the binding. It’s very cheap but hopefully it will still last a reasonably long time.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:15 am

If that doesn't last you can buy genuine stuff, might or should last longer
IMOLA Z4///MR

Argenta

Post by Argenta » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:10 pm

Of course it's firmer than a 7-series but still softer than OEM.

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:09 pm

Received the PSS10's.....one of the rear springs though has some of the coating missing exposing the metal, only a bit but would this be a problem later on with rust?
Waiting to hear from Bilstein on it but not sure what response to expect...

One of the adjuster knobs is a bit stiff moving from 9 to 10 compared to the other struts as well, again waiting on Bilstein to see what they say...probably ok but anyone else with PSS10's experienced this?

ImagePSS10 by A W, on Flickr
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

Anakin

Post by Anakin » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:58 pm

I will be upgrading the ARB on my TT RS with some H&R arb's with the KW V3's soon. Not heard any mention of chaning the the arb's on this forum though. any thoughts ?
Monaco Blue Z4M Roadster & Solar Orange TT RS

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:09 am

AndyBeech wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:09 pm Received the PSS10's.....one of the rear springs though has some of the coating missing exposing the metal, only a bit but would this be a problem later on with rust?

One of the adjuster knobs is a bit stiff moving from 9 to 10 compared to the other struts as well, again waiting on Bilstein to see what they say...probably ok but anyone else with PSS10's experienced this?

That will rust in no time, get it sorted under warranty :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:10 am

Anakin wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:58 pm I will be upgrading the ARB on my TT RS with some H&R arb's with the KW V3's soon. Not heard any mention of chaning the the arb's on this forum though. any thoughts ?
Running H&r bars on mine with KW CS, works really well! You need to beef up the front mounts though to be on the safe side
IMOLA Z4///MR

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:15 am

AndyBeech wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:09 pm Received the PSS10's.....one of the rear springs though has some of the coating missing exposing the metal, only a bit but would this be a problem later on with rust?

I would insist on a replacement for the spring and the damper too if it is significantly different from the others. You’ve bought new suspension from the manufacturer (or their distributor), you can expect new, undamaged parts. If they refuse, you have seven days from receipt to reject goods without giving any reason under the UK Distance Selling Regulations. Also, if you used a credit card, there is usually legal protection provided for you if it becomes unpleasant.

Edit - it seems the Consumer Contracts Regulations have replaced the UK Distance Selling Regulations since last I needed them, but the relevant rules still apply:

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights ... egulations
Last edited by BMWZ4MC on Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:19 am

RedUn wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:10 am
Anakin wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:58 pm I will be upgrading the ARB on my TT RS with some H&R arb's with the KW V3's soon. Not heard any mention of chaning the the arb's on this forum though. any thoughts ?
Running H&r bars on mine with KW CS, works really well! You need to beef up the front mounts though to be on the safe side
I have H&R ARBs and KW Clubsports on my ///M. Fitting the ARBs required adjustable drop links, and I’m a little more limited as to wheel offsets with the KWs vs OEM, but the car corners absolutely flat and doesn’t pitch under braking or acceleration.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:39 am

Cheers chaps. Is what I thought. Brought them through Demon Tweeks so will push for replacements. Think they said they have to go through Bilstein but hopefully they won't mess around....
Not entirely surprising I guess, dates of manufacture on the springs are 2016 for the fronts and 2014 for the rears so probably been sat around / chucked around a warehouse for all this time!

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:46 am

I'd not be accepting that spring.

The adjusters should only be 'stiff' between clicks, and then have almost no further movement after either 1 or 10.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:22 pm

No experience with the Bilsteins, but on the KWs the adjustment is stiffer right at the limits of adjustment, making it hard to tell where "0 clicks" open is vs "1 click".

I'd be tempted to live with those springs if they were purchased on their own as they will chip pretty quickly anyway, but if they've come as part of a package, don't take any chances. It could suggest abusive handling.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Yeddheng

Post by Yeddheng » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:27 am

Haha! When I got my KWs delivered they partially stuck out of the packaging and both top mounts were damaged. Got a new set a few weeks later.
Z4 MC 07 / A08 Silver grey / Black interior w Carbon leather / VT+RE mounts / 10.9 / cdv- / RPi / Cup2 / Arc-8 / Lugs / KW V3 / GC camber plates / Vorshlag RTAB limiters / Custom alignment / Aux / Stubby / Mud flaps /

My Z4MC