Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Not keen on using my car on the track

"M" Specific discussion
TomK

Post by TomK » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:48 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:17 am i'm pretty confident any 997 or 981 would be fine on any average track day just as it left the factory :wink:
I think you'll find quite a few porsche owners who might not agree with you there :lol:
mr wilks wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:17 am i'm clearly not getting my point over with this one :| i simply have absolutely no interest whatsoever in any part of the trackday scene & your difficulty understanding why i don't because i like performance cars is a little baffling :?
No you're not, you're right. It seems to me that you're convinced your way is the right way and won't entertain any other way,.
Maybe you won't like driving on track or the 'track day scene' as you eloquently put it, but until you actually try it why be so derogatory about it? It all seems weirdly defensive. I think we all get the premise that you don't like the idea of driving on track, but to suggest to someone else that is thinking about it that they're better off going on a 'hoon' on 'empty' roads is disingenuous at best imo. :thumbsdown:

Anyhows, I'm off to drive this guy tomorrow, sadly no track but we're heading out of the cotswolds :P I might just have some non track related fun would you believe...
WhatsApp Image 2019-11-09 at 10.01.21.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-11-09 at 10.01.21.jpeg (304.17 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:55 am

TomK wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:48 pm
mr wilks wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:17 am i'm pretty confident any 997 or 981 would be fine on any average track day just as it left the factory :wink:
I think you'll find quite a few porsche owners who might not agree with you there :lol:
mr wilks wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:17 am i'm clearly not getting my point over with this one :| i simply have absolutely no interest whatsoever in any part of the trackday scene & your difficulty understanding why i don't because i like performance cars is a little baffling :?
No you're not, you're right. It seems to me that you're convinced your way is the right way and won't entertain any other way,.
Maybe you won't like driving on track or the 'track day scene' as you eloquently put it, but until you actually try it why be so derogatory about it? It all seems weirdly defensive. I think we all get the premise that you don't like the idea of driving on track, but to suggest to someone else that is thinking about it that they're better off going on a 'hoon' on 'empty' roads is disingenuous at best imo. :thumbsdown:

Anyhows, I'm off to drive this guy tomorrow, sadly no track but we're heading out of the cotswolds :P I might just have some non track related fun would you believe...
Ok Tom lets clarify at this point for those who haven't read the thread or replies thoroughly ( yourself included )

The OP wrote

" I’d love to be able to really drive my car hard as only an M likes however, I would never in a million years take it on a track, "
I replied on the roadtrip suggestion that may prove a answer to his quandary , at no time have i been disingenuous or derogatory towards trackdays ( feel free to find those & highlight) i simply replied to the constant snide remarks you added throughout over why i should try one or why you can't understand anyone with a interest in cars would not want to do one
I also suggested any stock 997 or 981 would be fine for a "average" track day :? you say they won't ? i presume they are equally specced in terms of handling , cooling , braking than say a stock Si E85 E86 / ZM ? so in effect you are implying that no owner of these should consider any track day unless they have upgraded their car from stock ?

Hope you enjoyed the day out in the Cotswolds , looks a nice car but to get anything from it surely better off on a track :?
Driving it on the roads might be a little dull for you unless of course ( your words ) you are either a hot shoe , Walter Rohl or a total c### . . . . i'l hedge my bets on that one ( your words too )
I'm off out with the dogs now , my misanthropy has flared up , might take the car out for a blatt around the Ribble valley later when i'm in the mood :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:00 pm

Bet you’re glad you asked eh, Simon? :D
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:05 pm

Yep bet you're glad you asked for an extensive missive on why Mr Wilks prefers a Sunday bumble over a trackday.....

Wait that wasn't the question was it....? :roll:
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:22 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:05 pm Yep bet you're glad you asked for an extensive missive on why Mr Wilks prefers a Sunday bumble over a trackday.....

Wait that wasn't the question was it....? :roll:
No it was solely in reply to Tom's indignation as to why I wouldn't be interested in a track day experience & intended solely to convey why it could be that I have so little interest in taking any car I owned onto a track
Clearly wasted on you too
You both seem to be convinced it's something every owner should be onto yet reality of this forum suggests its a minority who do so.
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:31 pm

MrPT wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:00 pm Bet you’re glad you asked eh, Simon? :D
Not as much as me bothering to reply :oops:
There aren't many threads i wished I never bothered with but this is certainly one.
I rarely if ever comment on any track day content for obvious reasons :roll:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:10 pm

Come on....

We all know about track days dont we,its not how fast you can go its how big your wang is in the pit lane..

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:28 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:10 pm Come on....

We all know about track days dont we,its not how fast you can go its how big your wang is in the pit lane..
Not being down with the track lingo "wang" :? presume that translates to wallet or ego :oops:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Tinker15

Post by Tinker15 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:50 pm

Well round here wang means to throw as in welly wanging. Apparently it can have other meanings. https://www.internetslang.com/WANG-mean ... nition.asp

In the past I’ve done one or three track days and quite enjoyed them. A little too old for them now though. Photo below was over 9 years ago. :driving:
Attachments
F9E6E238-87E6-4E36-8DCD-FE2537409454.jpeg
F9E6E238-87E6-4E36-8DCD-FE2537409454.jpeg (171.25 KiB) Viewed 966 times
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:26 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:55 am
TomK wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:48 pm

Ok Tom lets clarify at this point for those who haven't read the thread or replies thoroughly ( yourself included )

The OP wrote

" I’d love to be able to really drive my car hard as only an M likes however, I would never in a million years take it on a track, "
I replied on the roadtrip suggestion that may prove a answer to his quandary , at no time have i been disingenuous or derogatory towards trackdays ( feel free to find those & highlight) i simply replied to the constant snide remarks you added throughout over why i should try one or why you can't understand anyone with a interest in cars would not want to do one
I also suggested any stock 997 or 981 would be fine for a "average" track day :? you say they won't ? i presume they are equally specced in terms of handling , cooling , braking than say a stock Si E85 E86 / ZM ? so in effect you are implying that no owner of these should consider any track day unless they have upgraded their car from stock ?

Hope you enjoyed the day out in the Cotswolds , looks a nice car but to get anything from it surely better off on a track :?
Driving it on the roads might be a little dull for you unless of course ( your words ) you are either a hot shoe , Walter Rohl or a total c### . . . . i'l hedge my bets on that one ( your words too )
I'm off out with the dogs now , my misanthropy has flared up , might take the car out for a blatt around the Ribble valley later when i'm in the mood :thumbsup:
Do I dare dip my toe into this...

I think the ultimately the point here is, some people like going for a blast on an empty road in a nice car, nothing wrong with that.

Essentially though with the cars we're talking about and infact most modern cars, you'll never get to feel the engineering of the car on the road. The roads aren't good enough and the cars are just too fast with too much grip to explore them.

Hence the track comments, same car, different envelope, it really is eye opening.

I guess the argument is, if you've never experienced it you'll never understand and that's not to say that everyone is interested in finding out either, horses for courses and all that.

Ref a standard car going on track, they are all capable, just depends how much you want to push it, go steady and there will be no issues. Start going quicker and all cars have their limitations...
IMOLA Z4///MR

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:45 pm

I think, for the sake of the OP, this thread should be got back on track :D :poke:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:53 pm

I agree :thumbsup: :rofl:
IMOLA Z4///MR

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:19 pm

right, bringing this back on track... if I had a nice Z4M coupe, I would not consider a cheap £3k 3.0i as a track toy, as it'd be just too similar to the Z4M - fundamentally the same car, 'cept one is worth way more, and is a bit quicker.

however, I've have long been an advocate of buying a cheap second car for trackdays - but it has to be substantially different to my daily driver. I bought my cheap £3k zed as a track toy only, since its considerably more suitable than my daily - an automatic 330d.

Personally, I would just man up and take the Z4M to Bedford autodrome - its long, wide, flat, with acres of run off, so you can actually drive it properly with very minimal risk - probably less risky that trying to drive quickly along a bumpy, narrow, hedge lined b road. And entire days can be had for as little as £120, which is the same as a couple of tanks of petrol. brakes and tyres wear is actually pretty minimal if you're sensible.

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:36 pm

I used to compete at Clubman level at motorsport,and agree that track driving can be fun.. That said i wouldnt take my road car on there,suspension and brakes just arent good enough on anything in standard form.

The last time i did a track day at Bruntingthorpe i killed a set of brand new Conti's and did £90 of fuel and that was years ago.

Simon 3.2M

Post by Simon 3.2M » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:56 am

I’m not a fan of hooning it on the open road, yes I appreciate those in the discussion would use sensible judgment about the time and place to open the throttle. I neither have the skill or desire to do that hence my thoughts on a second “cheaper” car. An interesting point raised was that of not needing a super powerful car to have fun so a 2.5 may even be an option.
Don’t get me wrong I do drive my M spiritedly on occasion but I feel as though the car really needs to be well above 5000rpm to get the most from it - not the area you sit in on the open road. Also when it comes to my cars I do tend to mollycoddle them. I’ve done everything to my car including the rod bearings to make her “right” so she can be enjoyed with peace of mind and with nothing but oil changes being carried out twice yearly regardless of mileage.
If I was to bin my M on the track I’d be gutted however, a £1500 2.5 would be much easier to stomach plus as a mechanic, I can fix most issues with the car and the M54 engine. I don’t have the money to put in to a Caterham or the like so for me I’d drive to the track, have fun and hopefully drive home.
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice