Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Not keen on using my car on the track

"M" Specific discussion
Simon 3.2M

Post by Simon 3.2M » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:47 pm

I had a spare 20 mins at lunch away from the desk that feels like the event horizon of a black and it got me thing. I’d love to be able to really drive my car hard as only an M likes however, I would never in a million years take it on a track, I have neither the skill or funds to do it. Out of interest have any of you guys tv ought the same and considered a “cheap” 2.5 or 3.0 to thrash about and learn to drive properly in?
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice

scootr

Post by scootr » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:03 pm

I've thought about this. I have the 3.0 manual with fresh suspension and NRF tires. Good enough to zip around a track I think. The key thing would be to go at your own pace. I don't think you would necessarily have to hurt the car... granted you would be exponentially wearing out the brakes and tires but even if they needed replacing early that would be a lot cheaper than a designated track car.
But a track car could be fitted with track suspension, a roll cage, and lightened up a bit. I guess you could build a case either way.
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

Haggisman

Post by Haggisman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:04 pm

Simon 3.2M wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:47 pm I had a spare 20 mins at lunch away from the desk that feels like the event horizon of a black and it got me thing. I’d love to be able to really drive my car hard as only an M likes however, I would never in a million years take it on a track, I have neither the skill or funds to do it. Out of interest have any of you guys tv ought the same and considered a “cheap” 2.5 or 3.0 to thrash about and learn to drive properly in?
I tracked / sprinted a Porsche 911 RS for 6 years but the increasing value of the car held me back. It was drive to the track, have fun and hopefully drive home. I then went from the sublime to the ridiculous and bought a factory MGF race car and really learnt how to drive to the limits on the track being prepared to have the odd off. As it happens in 5 years I only had one off and a couple silly spins adding to the learning curve. I did have the advantage of some excellent race tuition from various professional race drivers. I then went on to an M3 which was 100% reliable,
In answer to your question - How serious do you want to be? Weigh up if the extra cost of another car, prepping it for the track is worth the peace of mind that if you damage it it doesn’t matter and you really learn about car control or you go at 8 / 10ths in the M and have safe fun (hopefully)
You would still need to look at brakes, possibly tyres on the M and change the oil more often than normal, not sure but the fragility of the M with regular track use but the Porsche only cost me consumables ie. pads, fluid, rotors and a pair of drive shafts in 6 years plus of course regular oil changes.
My 2 cents worth, hope it helps.
2003 Toledo Blue 3.0 E85 Manual
2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car
2020 Kia Sportage GT - Her Indoor’s Car
1995 Dakar Yellow M3 E36 Race Car - Sold
2009 Vauxhall Astra VXR - Sold
2003 350Z well modded - Sold
1992 911 RS - Sold and still in mourning

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:19 pm

If you drive it properly on track a few times a year. You shouldn't put much more stress on the car than fast road driving. If your planning on take it drifting or hill climbing every weekend, that's another story. Mine has been on track a few times. Though having empty Cornish B roads and no tracks this side of flat fast but boring castle Combe. I prefer the former. :driving: :D :thumbsup:

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:33 pm

I’d recommend picking up something like a supercharged mk1 MX5 for a grand or so and learn in that. Defo get some tuition.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:45 pm

Meh life's too short to worry about things like that. If you're selective with your track, and the organiser (some do busier days than others) you will have plenty of space to learn and enjoy the car. The odd trackday won't break the bank - I did 4 in my 3.0si and really got the bug - but aside from a proactive oil change, the tyres lasted remarkably well (important to keep on top of pressures so they don't overheat). The standard brakes are absolutely fine for the odd trackday too, despite what everyone says :)

The odd casual trackday a year should really not be looked at the way a lot of people work it up to be - you absolutely can have a lot of fun with the car in bone stock form, it only becomes expensive in mods and parts when you're chasing times or starting to tailor things to how you want the car to feel.

Don't be put off, if you're that worried you can get insurance from someone like moris or insuremytrackday for like 80quid which covers if you have a big off or a collision, and go enjoy!

Edit: just to add my 3.0si at the time was my absolute pride and joy and also my daily - I did 50k in that car in 4 years, and whilst it wasn't an M it was my only car so a fair commitment to track it.

I'm so glad I did though, I got to drive it really hard as intended and have some great happy memories of that - I'd have kicked myself if I hadn't gone for it.

Whilst the value of Ms may well increase and it may become a more serious consideration over whether to risk tracking it, I would always recommend doing it - they were made to be enjoyed in that way, to me denying yourself the pleasure of really feeling the thing fully lit round a circuit is just such a travesty! :poke:
Last edited by Ed Doe on Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:49 pm

Shameless sharing of my last trackday in the 3.0si coupe - bloody loved that thing! (ignore my mate and I shouting bobbins, we both got quite excited :oops: )

https://youtu.be/55xgJWBDTDM

Also although Goodwood is generally an expensive day out, and also sessioned so less actual time on track compared to open pit, it is very well Marshalled and generally quite quiet - you can see how little real traffic there is.... In my personal experience well worth the extra cash to build confidence for a first time out...
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:

BTZ461

Post by BTZ461 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:08 pm

Simon 3.2M wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:47 pm I had a spare 20 mins at lunch away from the desk that feels like the event horizon of a black and it got me thing. I’d love to be able to really drive my car hard as only an M likes however, I would never in a million years take it on a track, I have neither the skill or funds to do it. Out of interest have any of you guys tv ought the same and considered a “cheap” 2.5 or 3.0 to thrash about and learn to drive properly in?
If you have a bit of spare cash and can afford it DO IT!

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:54 pm

Simon 3.2M wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:47 pmOut of interest have any of you guys tv ought the same and considered a “cheap” 2.5 or 3.0 to thrash about and learn to drive properly in?
:o

This is the M section right

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:04 pm

Or you could get a cheap 7 type car and track that these include locost 7 Westfields etc.

You don't need expensive to have fun, a car that handles on the poor side of things will allow you to learn a lot more quicker that a car that is nailed onto the tarmac

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:10 pm

PDJ wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:04 pm Or you could get a cheap 7 type car and track that these include locost 7 Westfields etc.

You don't need expensive to have fun, a car that handles on the poor side of things will allow you to learn a lot more quicker that a car that is nailed onto the tarmac
Mx5 makes more sense.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:40 pm

ph001 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:10 pm
PDJ wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:04 pm Or you could get a cheap 7 type car and track that these include locost 7 Westfields etc.

Mx5 makes more sense.
The Mx5 gets a plus one from this gringo due to it's ability to provide grin and go. :thumbsup:

See what I did there. :wink:

The ///MR is even more fun though if it's just a few times a year. :D

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:54 pm

I've no worries taking mine on track, but that's because I started my track days about 20 years ago in a Polo G40, then a Corrado VR6, then two e34 M5s, and now the Z4MC.

All of my daily drivers have done track duty at some time or another...and the Corrado/M5s did about 1 a month for a couple of years.

Never crashed, but have been onto the grass (once, not my fault when a 'racer' using the track day as a test day decided to use the apex of the corner as the braking line and I had to open the steering to avoid him ploughing into my driver's door) and into the gravel (once, my fault for getting impatient stuck behind a TVR).

I've also rented Caterhams and Elises from track day companies when I've fancied a change, but you're looking at almost £1k a day...and a large damage excess.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:13 am

I did quite a few track days back in the 80s/early 90s with a mate who was in the motor trade. We just took whatever he had in stock, XR3is, multiple Golf GTis, XR4i, Sierra Cosworth, his 1600cc Hot Rod that he raced on ovals, a stripped and caged Rover SD1, etc. We did them through an outfit called Club 89 who would have a few current BTCC drivers there to give fast laps, or tuition if you wanted it.

Anyway my mate's thinking was to never take anything to a track day that you couldn't afford to bin! Well, until he took his 1965 Mustang Fastback race car, but to be fair that was a shakedown test for when he took part in the Birkett 6 Hours race later that year.

When I had my E46 325ti as a daily I was tempted to take that on track, but now my daily is an E90 330i it doesn't have the same appeal - the Compact was a much "sharper" drive.

We've talked about doing some again, but I wouldn't want to take my Z4 - now I've stopped working I probably couldn't replace it if things went badly wrong. And I'm not concerned about my driving, but it can be impossible to avoid someone else's accident.

Getting a cheap 330Ci, MX5 or maybe RX8 looks like our best bet.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:36 am

Or get insurance for 85quid a day? Then your excess is all you pay for which equates to a significant chunk less than buying and preparing a 1000 mx5 or rx8!!!

Practice horses are for fannies - put your big boy pants on and take the M on track you big jessie! :lol: