Not keen on using my car on the track

"M" Specific discussion
User avatar
BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5568
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:24 pm
Location: Back in the sunshine

Not keen on using my car on the track

Post by BMWZ4MC » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:54 am

Ed Doe wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:36 am
Practice horses are for fannies - put your big boy pants on and take the M on track you big jessie! :lol:
:rofl:
Image
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use, now in Sydney; Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty;
Westfield SEiW track car currently in hibernation; S2000 GT - sold

User avatar
Vanne
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:55 pm
Location: Dubai
Contact:

Not keen on using my car on the track

Post by Vanne » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:55 am

Yeah, I agree completely, not keen on using my car on the track :thumbsup:
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Carma FF. DMK USSk. CDV X. RPi. CSL 19". Apex. APR Aero. CSL intake. Epic Alpha-N. KW Cs. 288/280. SS S1.Varis. Me STB. Brembo GT. Tillett. RE Xpipe. JB.
Image

User avatar
BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5568
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:24 pm
Location: Back in the sunshine

Not keen on using my car on the track

Post by BMWZ4MC » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:14 am

Vanne wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:55 am
Yeah, I agree completely, not keen on using my car on the track :thumbsup:
Me too :thumbsup:
Image
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use, now in Sydney; Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty;
Westfield SEiW track car currently in hibernation; S2000 GT - sold

User avatar
mr wilks
Legend
Legend
Posts: 20014
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:02 pm
Location: Lancs or Normandy , i don't mind which

Not keen on using my car on the track

Post by mr wilks » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:30 am

Simon 3.2M wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:47 pm
I had a spare 20 mins at lunch away from the desk that feels like the event horizon of a black and it got me thing. I’d love to be able to really drive my car hard as only an M likes however, I would never in a million years take it on a track, I have neither the skill or funds to do it. Out of interest have any of you guys tv ought the same and considered a “cheap” 2.5 or 3.0 to thrash about and learn to drive properly in?
A decent well planned roadtrip 4/5 days will lay to rest any track desires , there are many places you can get out & really use these cars to their & your best without going 130mph on a long straight .
I was out in the Dales + Pennines recently for 3 days with 8/9 other M / 35is cars , we have done many similar drives around Northern France , all enjoy a spirited drive , none of the owners have any desire to visit a track to see what their cars can do , they already know :D this year we decided not to do the France trip as we all agreed the speeds over previous 4 years had reached crazy :cry: ( far better roads , zero traffic through vast forests its impossible not to push on :driving: imagine the Nurburgring being 80 - 100 miles & having it to yourself ) but talking to all after the "slower" :oops: roads of the north of England all agreed the pleasure of pushing the cars to their best can be enjoyed at 50-70mph :whistle: when the terrain is more challenging .
So sack the trackday idea & get a roadtrip planned , you will see a different side to your car :thumbsup:
Previous Zs :roll:
E86
E85
///MR
Si E85
E89 23i
Si E85
E86
3.0Si E85
///MR
35i Msport 6spd
E86
///MR
E86
35is

911 997 Carrera4


Image

https://www.instagram.com/andy911wheels/

User avatar
Argenta
Member
Member
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:49 pm

Not keen on using my car on the track

Post by Argenta » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:47 am

One single frisky acceleration on a cold engine puts more strain on it than a trackday on a warm engine, something to remember.
Otherwise its just tires & brakes, which you renew once finished.

User avatar
ph001
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2736
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:53 pm
Location: N. Yorkshire.

Not keen on using my car on the track

Post by ph001 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:50 am

Ed Doe wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:36 am
Or get insurance for 85quid a day? Then your excess is all you pay for which equates to a significant chunk less than buying and preparing a 1000 mx5 or rx8!!!
errr.... have you actually seen how much the excess typically is on these policies!

I agree that practice horses are for fannies fannies though. :rofl:

Thing is, I quite like fannies.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual.

Image

User avatar
BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5568
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:24 pm
Location: Back in the sunshine

Not keen on using my car on the track

Post by BMWZ4MC » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:20 pm

When I was regularly taking my ///M on the track in the UK, £100 would buy insurance for the day (up to an agreed value for a total loss) with a £1000 excess. With those rates, I always insured my zed and never my Westfield.
Track day insurance doesn’t exist in Australia, so I cross my fingers instead!
Image
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use, now in Sydney; Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty;
Westfield SEiW track car currently in hibernation; S2000 GT - sold

andyf1140
Member
Member
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:06 am

Not keen on using my car on the track

Post by andyf1140 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:27 pm

Ed Doe wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:49 pm
Shameless sharing of my last trackday in the 3.0si coupe - bloody loved that thing! (ignore my mate and I shouting bobbins, we both got quite excited :oops: )

https://youtu.be/55xgJWBDTDM

Also although Goodwood is generally an expensive day out, and also sessioned so less actual time on track compared to open pit, it is very well Marshalled and generally quite quiet - you can see how little real traffic there is.... In my personal experience well worth the extra cash to build confidence for a first time out...
I have PTSD with Goodwood, helfd the record there for a while for the best barrel roll on a single venue stage rally back in early 90's

Ed Doe
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1273
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:06 pm
Location: Guildford, Surrey

Not keen on using my car on the track

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:53 pm

ph001 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:50 am
errr.... have you actually seen how much the excess typically is on these policies!

I agree that practice horses are for fannies fannies though. :rofl:

Thing is, I quite like fannies.
:lol: yes I have - as I've said, the excess is typically £750-£1k. My point being you can drive your car insured on circuit and in the extremely unlikely event that the worst happens its cost you less than you could buy a decent mx5/rx7 for - particularly once you factor in tax insurance and basic maintenance to ensure it will work well enough on track!

Either way op obviously your choice - but for me absolutely nothing beats the hit of being on track where you can really lean on the car and let it properly rip - it's utterly addictive 8)
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax, AP-Racing, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, RPI, Supersprint :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

User avatar
TomK
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1828
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:50 pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Not keen on using my car on the track

Post by TomK » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:09 pm

mr wilks wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:30 am
none of the owners have any desire to visit a track to see what their cars can do
Strange attitude in my eyes. Track driving I appreciate is not for everyone, but to dismiss it without trying it is a bit mad.
Like saying "well we've got beer so why would we want to try wine?" There's a time and a place for both :)
You really most likely won't suddenly crash or destroy your car as soon as you drive on a track, and personally I'm far more worried about getting involved in someone else's accident on most public highways :cry:
MC IB, CSL box, Schrick 288/280 cams, SS race bbox, APs, RS-29s, Apex ARC-8, A048, KW ClubSport, Turner arms & RTAB limiters, Vibratec mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6 seats, UUC ssk, custom half cage

Ed Doe
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1273
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:06 pm
Location: Guildford, Surrey

Not keen on using my car on the track

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:16 pm

What Tom said! I've seen far worse and more careless and dangerous driving on the roads than on circuit where everyone's at maximum concentration and there for the same reason! As I said originally as long as you pick your trackday organiser carefully to avoid oversubscribed days or days where racecars are doing testing you really will have a very relaxed and enjoyable day!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax, AP-Racing, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, RPI, Supersprint :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

User avatar
Beedub
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 9579
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

Not keen on using my car on the track

Post by Beedub » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:28 pm

mr wilks wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:30 am
Simon 3.2M wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:47 pm
I had a spare 20 mins at lunch away from the desk that feels like the event horizon of a black and it got me thing. I’d love to be able to really drive my car hard as only an M likes however, I would never in a million years take it on a track, I have neither the skill or funds to do it. Out of interest have any of you guys tv ought the same and considered a “cheap” 2.5 or 3.0 to thrash about and learn to drive properly in?
A decent well planned roadtrip 4/5 days will lay to rest any track desires , there are many places you can get out & really use these cars to their & your best without going 130mph on a long straight .
I was out in the Dales + Pennines recently for 3 days with 8/9 other M / 35is cars , we have done many similar drives around Northern France , all enjoy a spirited drive , none of the owners have any desire to visit a track to see what their cars can do , they already know :D this year we decided not to do the France trip as we all agreed the speeds over previous 4 years had reached crazy :cry: ( far better roads , zero traffic through vast forests its impossible not to push on :driving: imagine the Nurburgring being 80 - 100 miles & having it to yourself ) but talking to all after the "slower" :oops: roads of the north of England all agreed the pleasure of pushing the cars to their best can be enjoyed at 50-70mph :whistle: when the terrain is more challenging .
So sack the trackday idea & get a roadtrip planned , you will see a different side to your car :thumbsup:
hes right ...... this year did a mix of both and i have to say.... The above option provided some serious smile moments and probably some of the most fun ive had with my car in over a decade of ownership.....

Online
mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 10957
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: South Liverpool
Contact:

Not keen on using my car on the track

Post by mmm-five » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:36 pm

ph001 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:50 am
errr.... have you actually seen how much the excess typically is on these policies!
Depends on who you insure with (e.g. road insurer with TD add-on, or TD only cover).

For mine, I can get 4 days of cover at the Nurburgring (touristenfahtren) for about £200, or about £250 with the £1500 excess covered too.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Image

User avatar
TomK
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1828
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:50 pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Not keen on using my car on the track

Post by TomK » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:12 pm

Beedub wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:28 pm
hes right ...... this year did a mix of both and i have to say.... The above option provided some serious smile moments and probably some of the most fun ive had with my car in over a decade of ownership.....
I think there isn't really a right or wrong, just that to not try something because you think there's no need is I'd say short sighted at best.
I love a road trip and probably enjoy let's say the journey to and from anglesey I've made a few times as much as the track day itself.
Sadly for a lot of us, those good driving conditions are just very rare to come across on most of our clogged uk roads.
Track driving is an easy legal/relatively safe way of driving a car like this to it's real potential, and if someone was to say to me that they chose and are able to push to this limit on the road then they're either a) a total c###t or b) walter rohl or some hot shoe, so fair play I guess :) or c:) have never driven on a track so don't really understand the difference. I'd hedge a bet on the answer to that. Either way, give us a heads up and I'll make a note not to come anywhere near, ta :D
Last edited by TomK on Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MC IB, CSL box, Schrick 288/280 cams, SS race bbox, APs, RS-29s, Apex ARC-8, A048, KW ClubSport, Turner arms & RTAB limiters, Vibratec mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6 seats, UUC ssk, custom half cage

User avatar
mr wilks
Legend
Legend
Posts: 20014
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:02 pm
Location: Lancs or Normandy , i don't mind which

Not keen on using my car on the track

Post by mr wilks » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:21 pm

TomK wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:12 pm
Beedub wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:28 pm
hes right ...... this year did a mix of both and i have to say.... The above option provided some serious smile moments and probably some of the most fun ive had with my car in over a decade of ownership.....
I think there isn't really a right or wrong, just that to not try something because you think there's no need is I'd say short sighted at best.
I love a road trip and probably enjoy let's say the journey to and from anglesey I've made a few times as much as the track day itself.
Sadly for a lot of us, those good driving conditions are just very rare to come across on most of our clogged uk roads.
Track driving is an easy legal/relatively safe fix way of driving a car like this to it's real potential, and if you say that you chose and are able to push to this limit on the road you're either a) a total c###t or b) walter rohl or some hot shoe, so fair play to you :) Either way, give us a heads up and I'll make a note not to come anywhere near, ta:D
TomK wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:09 pm
mr wilks wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:30 am
none of the owners have any desire to visit a track to see what their cars can do
Strange attitude in my eyes. Track driving I appreciate is not for everyone, but to dismiss it without trying it is a bit mad.
Like saying "well we've got beer so why would we want to try wine?" There's a time and a place for both :)
You really most likely won't suddenly crash or destroy your car as soon as you drive on a track, and personally I'm far more worried about getting involved in someone else's accident on most public highways :cry:
Its not that strange , just doesn't appeal to me & from the response / discussions with the others clearly doesn't appeal to 8 or 9 other owners either :?
I don't get the buzz of chasing the same tarmac lap after lap ( most likely shared with others who you have no idea on skill level) when i can head off for 3 - 4 hours & enjoy the different scenery & landscape .
Horses for courses i guess , it surprises me not more owners plan weekends away touring different places , chugging around the Cotswolds on a Sunday afternoon aint gonna push the boundaries :P
Previous Zs :roll:
E86
E85
///MR
Si E85
E89 23i
Si E85
E86
3.0Si E85
///MR
35i Msport 6spd
E86
///MR
E86
35is

911 997 Carrera4


Image

https://www.instagram.com/andy911wheels/

Post Reply