Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Latest YouTube Review

"M" Specific discussion
Ed Doe

Latest YouTube Review

Post by Ed Doe » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:01 pm

Generally he's not the worst youtuber out there but I do agree he is a bit of a self-styled Clarkson, and it doesn't quite work in my opinion.

Not sure I care what people like him think particularly of the cars though - bought mine because its a right hoot to drive, nothing new really does it for me, and fundamentally there wasn't anything short of a 996 gt3 I'd prefer to own and drive as an entirely weekend/track toy. And I can't afford any gt-pork so there we go :lol:

That being said - I'd probably have become quite quickly frustrated with a standard M - I believe the handling leaves quite a lot to be desired in standard guise (although admittedly I've never driven a standard car!) heyho horses for courses - guess it's a good thing I ended up with mine in the end :lol:
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Latest YouTube Review

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:13 pm

MrPT wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:31 pm It’s not poor but it’s definitely a bit underwhelming unless you’re jumping out of a 3.0si and into a Z4M. The chubby wheel doesn’t help.
I had to smile when I read that, as I discovered exactly what you mean when I drove an M! I'm also not a fan of the over-chubby M-Sport steering wheel. :(
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Latest YouTube Review

Post by MrPT » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:07 am

Do you guys listen to The Collecting Cars Podcast? Some great chat - enjoyed the Chris Goodwin episode especially.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Ed Doe

Latest YouTube Review

Post by Ed Doe » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:03 am

MrPT wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:07 am Do you guys listen to The Collecting Cars Podcast? Some great chat - enjoyed the Chris Goodwin episode especially.
YES! Bloody fantastic isn't it!? Loved the Dickie Meaden one and the Chris Goodwin one. And the Harry Metcalfe one - 'I promised the boys that if we did well I'd get an F40 pool car' :lol: the tiff ones are brilliant too! I guess you could say I'm a fan :oops: :rofl:

I'm not really one for radio or talk shows but I'll happily listen to them talk bobbins about cars :)

The only problem really is that Harris has never liked the Z4M.....

https://www.pistonheads.com/features/ph ... oupe/26310

:roll:
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Latest YouTube Review

Post by mr wilks » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:37 am

MrPT wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:31 pm
It’s not poor but it’s definitely a bit underwhelming unless you’re jumping out of a 3.0si and into a Z4M. The chubby wheel doesn’t help.
Interesting point Re the Msport chubby wheel 8) after being in so many Zs id got very used to the feel of a chunky wheel being the norm :driving: into a 997 with its by comparison anorexic wheel & instantly i was wondering why i had previously thought bigger was better :cry:
The feel & feedback is instantly noticeable :) i gave "Pastry" a testdrive in the 997 on our recent northern outing , within a mile his first two comments were " id need a fatter wheel & more noise if i went for one of these " yet within 5 miles he forgot all about his chunky M wheel :oops:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

greg81

Latest YouTube Review

Post by greg81 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:44 am

He's a cross between Clarkson and Mike Brewer.

Muckinonthesofa

Latest YouTube Review

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:52 am

greg81 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:44 am He's a cross between Clarkson and Mike Brewer.
:rofl:
Z4MC, Silver/Grey, Imola Red Leather, Sat Nav, Heated Seats, DSP, Intravee, Stubby, ZHP, Gruppe M, CDV, Bilstein B12's, Vibra-Technics engine mounts.

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Latest YouTube Review

Post by MrPT » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:14 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:03 am The only problem really is that Harris has never liked the Z4M.....

https://www.pistonheads.com/features/ph ... oupe/26310

:roll:
He was right though. I can see why he had a proper pop at it when so many people like him would have seen the Z4M ingredients on paper and massively gotten their hopes up. The only thing I was surprised at was re. the cabin being cramped rather than “cosy”.

Someone with a sorted one needs to lend him the keys. :)
mr wilks wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:37 am Interesting point Re the Msport chubby wheel 8) after being in so many Zs id got very used to the feel of a chunky wheel being the norm :driving: into a 997 with its by comparison anorexic wheel & instantly i was wondering why i had previously thought bigger was better :cry:
The feel & feedback is instantly noticeable :)
Same! I still like it, it’s just no substitute for that nice grainy feeling you get in a 997, Elise, G reg Vauxhall Nova etc.

The 918-inspired “medium” chubbiness wheel seems to be a good compromise. Think it’s standard now on the latest 911s.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone